U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-25-2008, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 35,187,772 times
Reputation: 4899

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
AZ taxes are some of the highest in the country
Oh please - try California. Or Nevada. Or New York. Or Illinois
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-25-2008, 12:15 PM
 
4,628 posts, read 9,270,056 times
Reputation: 4238
Hmmm...am I the only one here who wants to retire to a cold climate? Not the humid kind, but I do miss snow, winters, and cold weather. Coartist88 may be the closest to that, being in PA.

Is it for health reasons, that people who are retiring head to warmer climes? Health reasons are of course part of why I am looking for a less humid climate..but seems like no one is too eager to live where there are harsh winters. Maybe, from what I remember living in winter wonderlands, I wasn't actually the person doing the snow shoveling!

Any opinions as to why most people prefer consisently warmclimate as opposed to the four seasons? (Other than for health reason)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2008, 12:17 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
19,871 posts, read 22,772,876 times
Reputation: 7176
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Hmmm...am I the only one here who wants to retire to a cold climate? Not the humid kind, but I do miss snow, winters, and cold weather. Coartist88 may be the closest to that, being in PA.

Is it for health reasons, that people who are retiring head to warmer climes? Health reasons are of course part of why I am looking for a less humid climate..but seems like no one is too eager to live where there are harsh winters. Maybe, from what I remember living in winter wonderlands, I wasn't actually the person doing the snow shoveling!

Any opinions as to why most people prefer consisently warmclimate as opposed to the four seasons? (Other than for health reason)
It seems to me that as folks get older, their circulation tends to become worse, leading them to be cold more often.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2008, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Road Warrior
2,015 posts, read 5,004,008 times
Reputation: 798
The dry climate is best, as doctors used to advertise move out West for better health. You also want to avoid the cold and rain since most retired folks do get arthritis. So California, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico. I would go for San Diego or Santa Barbara if you can afford it next to the beach usually costs you more, several places in Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico has great scenary, low crime and lower cost of living as well, Sedona, Flagstaff, Santa Fe, Carson City higher in elevaton usually keeps you milder in the summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2008, 03:01 PM
 
13,313 posts, read 25,542,533 times
Reputation: 20477
A lot of people (rightly) fear slipping on icy sidewalks and breaking a hip or something else.
I find as I get older, humidity bothers me more than cold. I just collapse in the summer (eastern Mass.). Air conditioning is great, but it's still a clammy cold, and the air outside is still soup. I feel stuck inside in the summer like other people do in winter.
Everyone assumes that retirees mean "mild winters" when referring to "good weather." Not this aspiring retiree. I do think there are some genetics- my recent ancestors were all from the Russian steppes. Some kind of adaptation there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Status: "0-0-2 start!" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: The beautiful Rogue Valley, Oregon
7,287 posts, read 15,336,812 times
Reputation: 9463
I don't mind snow, or the occasional snow storm, but I do NOT want to spend most of the winter having to shovel snow off the decks, driveway and front porch. Nor do I want to have to wear 5 layers of clothing to go outside when it's 0 deg F for weeks at a time.

That's where I draw the line between REAL winter and MILD winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2008, 05:42 PM
 
450 posts, read 1,838,362 times
Reputation: 303
Wink Beach, Sante Fe, Sedona: Get out your wallet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
The dry climate is best, as doctors used to advertise move out West for better health. You also want to avoid the cold and rain since most retired folks do get arthritis. So California, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico. I would go for San Diego or Santa Barbara if you can afford it next to the beach usually costs you more, several places in Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico has great scenary, low crime and lower cost of living as well, Sedona, Flagstaff, Santa Fe, Carson City higher in elevaton usually keeps you milder in the summers.
Hi Ranger. I agree with you that a drier climate can be great. When you say "next to the beach usually costs you more"--well, you can say that again. And Sedona and Santa Fe--out of reach for most retirees. Flagstaff and Carson City sound a bit more reasonable. My Mother--now deceased--loved Carson City and Reno.

Climate and money will dictate retirement sites as well as proximity to family and health care. Sorry to say, money will become the bottom line for most in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2008, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas
1,479 posts, read 7,031,596 times
Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I find as I get older, humidity bothers me more than cold. I just collapse in the summer (eastern Mass.). Air conditioning is great, but it's still a clammy cold, and the air outside is still soup. I feel stuck inside in the summer like other people do in winter.
Oh how well I know that feeling! I was born and raised in the Great Lakes region and have been living in SE Mass for 35 years. I've always hated the humidity but as I get older I find it more and more intolerable. My husband is from Texas and after visiting West Texas and enjoying the dry high desert climate, I've decided that's the place for me. I can breathe there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2008, 07:53 PM
 
6,989 posts, read 6,979,790 times
Reputation: 5791
Default Cost to Live in Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I've been researching retirement places for the last few years. We want lots of sunshine, warm weather all year round (because I'm cold when the temperature dips below 70), a non-desert location, and real trees. After visiting numerous states and communities we've decided to move to Florida. I know it sounds cliche, but I love how I feel when I'm in Florida, it has no state income tax, it has 242 sunny days per year vs the 137 we have where I currently live, there are real trees, I have family there, and it's warm to hot all year long so I'll be able to be outside without getting cold.
We loved living in Florida. Just don't forget that property tax is very high and it's quite difficult to get homeowner's insurance, which is very expensive. Also, when we lived there our auto insurance was more than double what it is here in Georgia. Just check out your budget before you move...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2008, 08:48 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 52,247,863 times
Reputation: 20397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Oh please - try California. Or Nevada. Or New York. Or Illinois
MSN ranks AZ number 25 out of 50 States... right in the middle

Here is a link...

The best and worst states for taxes - MSN Money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top