U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 06:06 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,248,450 times

Advertisements

That's true! I've lived on both sides of the Cascades. The eastern part will give you more extreme temperatures; Hot in summer and cold in winter. That was a bit too much for me so we moved to the coast. It's rainy here but there are not the temperature extremes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 07:03 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,510,875 times
I do not like weather extremes either, waterlily. A place where I can get by in a light jacket or a sweater for most of the year is just perfect for me.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-15-2008, 09:34 PM

245 posts, read 281,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
Cops of AZ are on the red neck side also
=mean?

Old 06-17-2008, 12:41 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,277,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
As global warming gets at its worst all of the bay are some 15 miles in will be under water as all coastal towns will be
The Bay Area is surrounded by hills and mountains... SF is built on hills...

Since a child, I've heard places like Foster City and Alviso and Alameda will have problems...

Old 06-17-2008, 08:26 PM

433 posts, read 991,748 times
> SF is built on hills...

That's true, but there's a lot of filled land. It's not uncommon for workers tearing down a building in the Financial District to find the buried remains of a Gold Rush era ship. San Francisco and other towns on the Bay will be threatened as will SFO, but I believe levees will be built in time to stop the inundation of the most heavily populated areas. The SF Bay Conservation and Development Commission has maps showing areas that would be impacted by a one-meter rise in sea level:
SFBCDC - Climate Change (broken link)

Old 06-17-2008, 11:05 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,277,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbird View Post
> SF is built on hills...

That's true, but there's a lot of filled land. It's not uncommon for workers tearing down a building in the Financial District to find the buried remains of a Gold Rush era ship. San Francisco and other towns on the Bay will be threatened as will SFO, but I believe levees will be built in time to stop the inundation of the most heavily populated areas. The SF Bay Conservation and Development Commission has maps showing areas that would be impacted by a one-meter rise in sea level:
SFBCDC - Climate Change (broken link)
Thanks for posting the link... I had imagined Oakland and SF would have greater area impacted...

I know the airports were build on mud flats and will need to be raised or protected by levees...

Old 06-21-2008, 06:23 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,510,875 times
But, certainly that will not be in our lifetimes (I hope as San Francisco is my absolute favorite city).

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-22-2008, 11:34 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,955,447 times
San Francisco - you can go literally months without seeing the sun depending where you live in and near SF.

I think that So. California has perfect weather, especially if you are near the beach. We do get some heat now and again, but generally when there is a heat wave, it is much cooler at or near the beach. We have an amazingly high percentage of days in the 70's with sun and a gentle breeze.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:38 AM

48 posts, read 120,430 times
re taxes electric and insurance are the issues in fla. even if you pay off the mtg. it still costs about $800/month to maintain a house. its about the same cost as renting only you had to pay a mtg. in addition. once you own the house its bootstrapped to you. even a nice house is extremely hard to sell in fla. so if you get tired of all the heat, you're stuck. its not like NYC where once you invest in a house you know it can be sold at a profit or certainly break even and sold relatively fast. I think retirement is a state of mind. the only issue is how to enjoy your life during the 5 cold months in the year. that's the only issue as you age. the best is to have a winter residence in fla if you afford to carry both residences (which is not cost effective because you must run the a/c in fla in summer and the heat in winter in NYC. this is the dilemma we are all weighing. overall its best to keep it simple and just stay in the four seasons and be careful not to fall and slip on the ice. forget the plane travel stuff. just enjoy everyday.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:00 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,670 times
Default Here's how I did it .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfabian View Post
re taxes electric and insurance are the issues in fla. even if you pay off the mtg. it still costs about $800/month to maintain a house. its about the same cost as renting only you had to pay a mtg. in addition. once you own the house its bootstrapped to you. even a nice house is extremely hard to sell in fla. so if you get tired of all the heat, you're stuck. its not like NYC where once you invest in a house you know it can be sold at a profit or certainly break even and sold relatively fast. I think retirement is a state of mind. the only issue is how to enjoy your life during the 5 cold months in the year. that's the only issue as you age. the best is to have a winter residence in fla if you afford to carry both residences (which is not cost effective because you must run the a/c in fla in summer and the heat in winter in NYC. this is the dilemma we are all weighing. overall its best to keep it simple and just stay in the four seasons and be careful not to fall and slip on the ice. forget the plane travel stuff. just enjoy everyday.

sfabian..... I agree with you !

I lived in Miami-Dade County over 30+ years, in a very affluent community, as a single-mother and you're very accurate in your cost assessment. My monthly total came to around $1,000 which included everything except a mtg! The way I was able to afford it was to divide my house and rent-out a section that had a private entrance and remained private from my side! In these hard times, that could be an option for many to consider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or