U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 05:14 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
I'm happy with the climate in East Tennessee. Four real seasons but none of them get drastic. No hurricanes, tornadoes, floods or other attacks by Ma Nature.
I grew up in West Los Angeles near the beach and didn't like the dampness. We also had a house in the desert and I liked visiting but it got too brown quickly.
Lived most of my life in Washington, D.C. and had enough humidity to last a lifetime. Also lived in South Georgia and that wasn't pleasant, either.
Knoxville is perfect for me. People complain about the "humidity" but I don't think it's humid at all. I usually turn off the AC during the day in the summer and open the screen doors. Get a nice breeze off the mountains in the afternoon.
We have lovely springs and beautiful falls, complete with the full collegiate football atmosphere.
Winters can get chilly but it's not awful. We get a couple of days of snow flurries a year.
The climate is one of the things that attracted me to the area.
Knox - You are making Knoxville sound very tempting . Colorado Springs or Knoxville - hmmmmmmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 09:25 AM

829 posts, read 957,356 times
This will sound weird to most of you but we are heading to upstate New York. I miss the seasons and the snow. A lot of my friends ask why do you want to put up with winter driving? But I have to remind them that if it looks bad outside, I'll throw another log on the fire, fix another Bloody Mary, and read a book.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:18 AM

11,290 posts, read 7,875,247 times
Southern New Mexico and western Texas (Las Cruces, El Paso area) has the best climate in the US IMO

Sunny, dry, no extremes, warm but not too hot, and just a taste of winter!

Have travelled around the US and have not found better weather for retirees or not!

Old 11-26-2008, 05:09 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,094,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Southern New Mexico and western Texas (Las Cruces, El Paso area) has the best climate in the US IMO

Have travelled around the US and have not found better weather for retirees or not!
I agree with WildWestDude......Las Cruces in particular is amazingly good ...if your on a tighter budget you might want to consider Alamogordo too

Old 11-30-2008, 12:26 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,840,158 times
I don't really get to retire but I want to move back to the west were I'm from. I've been looking at Oregon, Washington and Idaho. I hate the long hot humid spring, summer and falls here in GA.

I was born and raised in Portland so I know I don't want that dreary gray again. I went to college in Central OR.

I've been looking at southern OR Roseburg to Ashland. Also, the Hood River valley area. East of the Cascades gets too cold for too long. I've also looked at the Yakima Valley area too.

I don't mind a dusting of snow and a once a year snow storm but I like a temperate climate not to hot and not too cold. I know S. OR can get hot but it still cools off at night. Here in GA at 6am it's already in the high 70's with close to 100% humidity.

If I had all the $$$ I'd move to So Cal for several reasons, the weather and to be near my remaining family but it's just not financially feasable for me.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:20 AM

19,871 posts, read 22,775,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I don't really get to retire but I want to move back to the west were I'm from. I've been looking at Oregon, Washington and Idaho. I hate the long hot humid spring, summer and falls here in GA.

I was born and raised in Portland so I know I don't want that dreary gray again. I went to college in Central OR.

I've been looking at southern OR Roseburg to Ashland. Also, the Hood River valley area. East of the Cascades gets too cold for too long. I've also looked at the Yakima Valley area too.

I don't mind a dusting of snow and a once a year snow storm but I like a temperate climate not to hot and not too cold. I know S. OR can get hot but it still cools off at night. Here in GA at 6am it's already in the high 70's with close to 100% humidity.

If I had all the $$$ I'd move to So Cal for several reasons, the weather and to be near my remaining family but it's just not financially feasable for me.
Since you've already considered Yakima, you may want to look into SE Arizona - specifically places like Sierra Vista. We're currently in Seattle and began looking to retire to Roseburg or Ashland but ended up buying property near Benson (largely because of the climate). While SW Arizona is a blast furness, SE Arizona is remarkably mild because Southern Arizona has a general elevation gain as you head west to east. While Yuma (in SW Arizona) is at 100 feet and Phoenix at a mere 1,000 feet, Tucson is at 2,400 feet, Benson at 3,500 and Sierra Vista at 4,200 feet (as is our land). Our land has average June highs of 93, July highs of 91 and August highs of 88 - and over the last 4 years we've averaged just 3 days a year where it's gotten over 100 (102.5 being the warmest). Winter highs tend to be around 60 or so, with overnight lows in the 30's.

In addition, we get between 16-20 inches of rainfall a year so we are not actually desert, but rather somewhat arid grassland.

Just something to consider.

Ken

Old 11-30-2008, 06:24 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,840,158 times
Thanks LordBalfor, but it's a bit too deserty and too isolated. I miss the NW and I want to be able to take short trips to the coast and the mountains

One of my hobbies is dog training and instead of always getting a rescue, before I get too old I want to get a pure bred puppy and raise/train and compete in obedience and tracking. One of the advantages of the areas I'm looking at is also the close proximity of dog shows and trainers.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:28 PM

9 posts, read 15,321 times
i agree with lordbalfor...i hope to be moving to sierra vista in the late spring/early summer...i have fibromyalgia and a touch of arthritis...but i just cannot stand heat of over high 90's....i want to thank you lordbalfor for the link info on your site ...for the weather conditions there...that made my decision easier....btw lordbalfor have you moved yet...if not best wishes on the move.

Last edited by littlecher01; 11-30-2008 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-30-2008, 07:59 PM

180 posts, read 325,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post

besides perhaps coastal Calif. which most of us can't afford or might not even want to deal with, I agree.

The one thing is even when it gets hot there in summer it will cool down at night as soon as the sun goes down due to the drier air.

ALQ has some great weather as well but people forget it is only about 200-300ft below Denver and that the avg. January daytime temp is 48 degrees!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:06 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
I agree with WildWestDude......Las Cruces in particular is amazingly good ...if your on a tighter budget you might want to consider Alamogordo too
Both are too hot;dry and dusty for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or