U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 09:49 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,778,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecher01 View Post
i agree with lordbalfor...i hope to be moving to sierra vista in the late spring/early summer...i have fibromyalgia and a touch of arthritis...but i just cannot stand heat of over high 90's....i want to thank you lordbalfor for the link info on your site ...for the weather conditions there...that made my decision easier....btw lordbalfor have you moved yet...if not best wishes on the move.
No, unfortunately we're still up here in cool, gray Seattle. We hope to move down there in maybe 3-4 years or so. Glad the weather site was helpful (I assume you are referring to this site: Weather Station History : Weather Underground

Weather Underground (Wunderground.com) is REALLY helpful. Did you poke around on that site and find the Sierra Vista weather stations? If so, note that Sierra Vista has some microclimates. Since elevation is the driving factor, those sites that are east of town (ie further downslope in the San Padro Valley) will be warmer than those west of town (upslope towards the Huachuca's).

In any event, I'm glad to be of help and certainly hope that the climate down there helps your fibromyalgia. One of my wifes' older sisters suffers from that as well and clearly it's VERY unpleasant (to say the least).

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 06:52 PM

5,319 posts, read 7,856,705 times
San Diego is definitely the place to retire !!!

Why choose just one type of environment, when you can have all three in one place - beaches, mountains, and desserts.

Plus the temperature stays mostly warm and comfortable all year round.

Today ... December 11th ... the high temps were between 70 - 80.

The lowest the temp drops to during the winter months is the low to mid 40's.

We get bright sunny afternoons around 75% of the year.

And it rarely ever rains. Our only rainy months occur during the winter. Between March - November, it's sunny practically every single day.

We do have May Gray, and June Gloom, where there are a reasonable amount of cloudy days during those months. But the clouds are are nice break from the non-stop sunny weather.

The geography here is absolutely breathtaking! Beautiful mountains, scenic beaches, palm trees, and lots more.

And the neighborhoods vary from very wealthy sections with huge beautiful beach-front houses, to residential areas with lots of shopping.

And, yes you can afford San Diego. It's just a matter of which section of San Diego you choose to live, and how you budget your money.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:51 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,248,052 times
I agree that San Diego probably does have the best climate. I'm not sure how friendly it is for retirees though.
Myself I'd be looking for a smaller city.There would be too much traffic and just too much of a crowd there for my liking. Maybe there are some suburbs that would be better for retired people.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:08 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,509,075 times
I would love to live in San Diego, but I would think that it would be unaffordable for me. It has everything I would want, though.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-14-2008, 06:15 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,778,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I would love to live in San Diego, but I would think that it would be unaffordable for me. It has everything I would want, though.
Yup, same here.
That's why I settled for SE Arizona. It's as close climate-wise as I can afford.

Ken

Old 12-14-2008, 07:38 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,366 times
Talking Me too !

Quote:

Oh YES; I visited LaJolla about 20 years ago and never forgot how beautiful it was. Yup, Yup, Yup....... if I had my d'ruthers...... I'd love to move to the San Diego area

Old 12-14-2008, 07:54 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,459,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
Good for you, but keep an eye out for skin cancer. The sun factor is accumulative.
Find a good Dermatologist and have regular whole body checkups.

Silverfox
I am Nordic White and received several severe sunburns as a kid----------while growing up in '4 season' Wash DC.

Left there in 1978 (I hate winters) for California then Arizona. Needless to say: I am not a sun worshipper.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:58 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,459,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Hmmm...am I the only one here who wants to retire to a cold climate? Not the humid kind, but I do miss snow, winters, and cold weather. Coartist88 may be the closest to that, being in PA.

Is it for health reasons, that people who are retiring head to warmer climes? Health reasons are of course part of why I am looking for a less humid climate..but seems like no one is too eager to live where there are harsh winters. Maybe, from what I remember living in winter wonderlands, I wasn't actually the person doing the snow shoveling!

Any opinions as to why most people prefer consisently warmclimate as opposed to the four seasons? (Other than for health reason)
Me: I hate snow and icy roads...........one need not shovel heat!

Old 12-15-2008, 04:49 AM

5,319 posts, read 7,856,705 times
Quote:
San Diego is a large city (and County) and home prices vary by neighborhood.

Some areas, such as Clairemont, are affordable to middle class, while others, such as La Jolla, are affordable to wealthy.

Currently, in middle-class San Diego neighborhoods, single-family homes start at around 300k - 350k. But these are mostly older homes built around 1960.

Also, the closer you live to the beach, the higher the home prices get.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:14 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,312,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
I agree that San Diego probably does have the best climate. I'm not sure how friendly it is for retirees though.
Myself I'd be looking for a smaller city.There would be too much traffic and just too much of a crowd there for my liking. Maybe there are some suburbs that would be better for retired people.
I have to agree about not being retirement friendly regarding SD. We were there last year and the traffic and crowding was horrendous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or