U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 01:30 AM

1,848 posts, read 6,248,450 times

Advertisements

We've got lots of threads about where to retire but one of the things I'd be most interested in is a good climate. Will you be looking for a desert, mountain, or beach area? What kind of climate do you think is best for retirement ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 06:20 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,050,067 times
This is, of course, a highly personal determination. For me, I'm looking for a place with great natural beauty, real mountains, a rocky coast nearby would be a plus, and most importantly, mild summers that are more like an extended spring than the enervating heat and/or humidity I've usually lived in, but still warm enough to grow tomatoes in summer. A little less important is mild winters so my herb growing options are wide. I don't mind some freezing temps, just not looking for really hard or extended freezes.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:38 AM

2,317 posts, read 4,638,924 times
One of the places I was considering was arizonia,I have family out there.
I have been there a couple of times,the last time I went out there was In
july 05,couldn't stand the heat,they say it's a dry heat but 118 is 118.
I realized I liked the 4 seasons better,so decided on PA.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:56 AM

30 posts, read 213,146 times
Hawaii has it all and more--world's best climate, scenery, temperature always comfortable, grow corn, tomatoes, etc. year-round. Island of Oahu has USA's best bus system--so convenient that I've decided not to bother with a car. I live in Wahiawa--small rural town in the middle of Oahu--1000 feet elevation so no need for air conditioning--safe if hurricane or tidal wave or whatever should visit the islands. Never need heat. Senior cost for unlimited bus rides is $30/year. The only way I'm ever going back to the mainland is in a box!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:19 AM

823 posts, read 3,374,302 times
We want a place with very low humidity. We are leaving Saturday to go visit Reno, Albuquerque, Las Cruces & El Paso to see which we will retire to next year.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:21 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,248,450 times
There are Lots of different choices mentioned here. Oahu sure does sound nice but sometimes places like Albugerque seem like a good choice too.
Myself I'd be looking for a small town with nice weather. I don't like much snow or a lot of heat. Still I may have to put up with a bit of one or the other.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:06 AM

19,872 posts, read 22,780,530 times
Well, since I'm a warm weather person, Hawaii is my top choice, but since it's so expensive there, we've bought retirement property in SE Arizona - mild winters (ave Jan high just a hair below 60 with lows in the mid/upper 30's) hot but not too hot summers (June ave high 92, July 91, Aug 88), and a bit more rain that the more popular areas of Arizona near Phoenix (ave rainfall - 16-20 inches/year)

I think we'll be happy.

Ken

Old 05-23-2008, 09:27 AM

7,295 posts, read 15,345,231 times
I wanted more sunny days than cloudy days but not a lot of heat, and I was willing to put up with snow in the winter to get it. So I live in the high desert on the dry side of the Cascades in Oregon, about 30 miles north of Klamath Falls, where the coldest winter average is lows around 20 and highs around 40 and the hottest summer average is lows in the mid 50s and highs in the low 80s. Total yearly rainfall is about 15" and total snowfall is about 34".

Chamber of Commerce likes to claim 300 days of sun, but that's "marketing days," not actual days, the real number is around 200 days of sunny and mostly sunny, with about 85 days in which there is measurable rain/snow.

If the climate here has a downside, it'd be that the nights are cool into the summer, and vegies/fruits that need warmer nights have to be grown under a cover. Spring is pretty late and short.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:08 PM

5,394 posts, read 21,390,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, since I'm a warm weather person, Hawaii is my top choice, but since it's so expensive there, we've bought retirement property in SE Arizona - mild winters (ave Jan high just a hair below 60 with lows in the mid/upper 30's) hot but not too hot summers (June ave high 92, July 91, Aug 88), and a bit more rain that the more popular areas of Arizona near Phoenix (ave rainfall - 16-20 inches/year)

I think we'll be happy.

Ken
Where in SE Arizona are you talking about? I see that Tuscon has average highs in the summer at about 100 (records well over 110) and less than 12 inches of rain a year.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:57 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,780,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Where in SE Arizona are you talking about? I see that Tuscon has average highs in the summer at about 100 (records well over 110) and less than 12 inches of rain a year.
About 10 miles west of Benson just off of I-10.
We're at 4,200 feet (compared to Tucsons' 2,400 feet).

As a general rule the further east you go in Southern Arizona, the cooler the climate and the greater the rainfall because of elevation gain. For example, Yuma is at about 200 feet and is a blast furnace, Phoenix is at about 1,000 feet and is still hot as Hades in the summer, Tucson is at 2,400 and it's average temps peak out a bit over 100, Benson is at 3,500 feet and has average high temps in the mid-90s during the peak of the season. Our property is near the crest of a low ridge just before the terrain heads back down towards Benson and the San Pedro Valley so we're about 3 degrees cooler than Benson (you cool off about 3-4 degrees for every 1,000 feet in elevation gain (all other things being equal)).

Benson is a very small town (population 5,000 or so) but Tucson is but 40 minutes away, and Sierra Vista (population 35,000 or so) about 40 minutes away too. Sierra Vista, by the way also sits at 4,200 feet and has pretty near the same climate we do down on our land.

Sierra Vista climate info:
Average Weather for Sierra Vista, AZ - Temperature and Precipitation

Benson climate info:
Average Weather for Benson, AZ - Temperature and Precipitation

Arizona rainfall map (areas of higher rainfall are those of higher elevation (and cooler weather):
http://www.ocs.oregonstate.edu/pub/maps/Precipitation/Total/States/AZ/az.gif (broken link)

Note: Our property is on the county line between the southeast-most counties (in the green colored area).

Online weatherstation about 1,000 feet from my property (at the same elevation) with 4 years worth of hourly weather readings:
Weather Station History : Weather Underground

This is where I got the temps and rainfall info in my initial post - they are actually readings from very near our acre. Over the last 4 years, we've averaged just 3 days a year where the temp go into the 100's (usually just barely - with the hottest day in that time being a single instance of reaching about 101.5). Last year we had 17.24 inches of rain (rain has been increasing over the last 4 years - coming out of a drought - and last year actually made it back into the historical norm)

If you are curious to see what the area looks like, here are 4 photos of the area around our property to be seen in the link below (the last 3 on the 1st line and the 1st one on the 2nd line). They were taken last July/August - when SE Arizona is in it's "monsoon" season (summer thunderstorm that bring about half the years rainfall). Click on the photos to make them bigger, then on the "Full Size" link in the upper right corner to make them bigger yet - and if you then click on the photo iself it can be made REALLY LARGE (note that the photos increase in size 4 different times with each of these steps). Note just how green it is during the mid/late summer:
Arizona (mostly July/August 2007) pictures from arizona photos on webshots

Outside of some of the coastal areas of Southern California so famous for their climate, I think SE Arizona has the best overall climate in the continental US.
Remember, in Arizona, elevation is pretty much all-important.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 05-23-2008 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or