Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 02:01 PM

7,769 posts, read 6,375,189 times

Advertisements

We are in a community in Clearwater FL that is 55+, 2 and 3 story condo apartments, our building has 74 units, there are 94 buildings. Rentals are allowed for a minimum of 6 months. There are 2 rec. centers with pools and one 9 hole golf course and one 18 hole. There are an assortment of clubs and activities.

We lived in this area when our kids were growing up and returned 7 years ago. Tampa airport is convenient when family comes to visit. Tampa also has a cruise port. Gulf beaches are easy to get to.

I gave away the lawn mower in 1987 and have not missed it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 07:28 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,303,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
Five years ago, I downsized from my massive family home with ridiculously expansive park-like grounds to a simpler, much smaller home in a 55+ community. I waited until both my children were 18 so they could move there with me.

I’m so happy to be relieved of yard work, exterior structural maintenance, high heating costs, and rooms full of costly furniture that I never spent time in, except to dust.

I have a small yard front and back. The back yard is fully fenced. Both yards are mowed, edged, raked, and maintained in every way by the regular garden maintenance team, who I don’t have to hire, pay, instruct, or monitor.

Of course, I have to pay HOA fees monthly, but I think they’re a bargain. I’ll never have to worry about clearing snow, replacing roof or gutters or downspouts, painting or window cleaning. That’s just a partial list of what the HOA dues cover. We’ve built up healthy reserves to cover repairs that might come in 10 or 15 or 20 years.

We don’t have a clubhouse or pool. We have a lovely private park and lovely landscaped common areas, as well as planters for growing flowers and produce. We also have walking trails through the forested lands and meadows all around us.

One of the best parts of living here is that you can hear a pin drop at night. During the day, it’s very quiet as well. There are black bears, bobcats, foxes, coyote, eagles, owls, deer, rabbits, raptors, and even the rare mountain lion in the area (Eastside of Seattle). There are equestrian trails. It’s great!
Sounds awesome, especially the last 2 paragraphs. You must have shopped around awhile to find such a nice place.

Old 04-24-2022, 08:03 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
We are in a community in Clearwater FL that is 55+, 2 and 3 story condo apartments, our building has 74 units, there are 94 buildings. Rentals are allowed for a minimum of 6 months. There are 2 rec. centers with pools and one 9 hole golf course and one 18 hole. There are an assortment of clubs and activities.

We lived in this area when our kids were growing up and returned 7 years ago. Tampa airport is convenient when family comes to visit. Tampa also has a cruise port. Gulf beaches are easy to get to.

Please. - will you share the name?

Old 04-24-2022, 08:13 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,236,142 times
Default Gorgeous weather right now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Thanks , we have family and friends here as well
Enjoy the time while you are here!

Old 04-25-2022, 06:26 AM

106,554 posts, read 108,696,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Enjoy the time while you are here!
Thanks

Old 04-25-2022, 06:56 AM

15,938 posts, read 7,005,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post

Can you share how your HOA works? What does it cover how much is it? I find the HOA fees are fine if you are into golfing.

Old 04-25-2022, 08:22 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,741,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Here is a listing of the 55+ communities in Florida. They are ranked by size (number of homes) with the largest communities listed first. You can click on each of the listed communities and read what they have to offer and the price range of homes or condos.

https://www.55places.com/florida
Most of these lists online, including the one I posted, are marketing websites and the listed communities may have paid a fee to be on the site. I'm just mentioning this to say that the lists on these marketing websites shouldn't be considered an exhaustive list. There could be additional communities not shown on the various websites, but it's a good place to start the search.

Old 04-25-2022, 11:33 AM

5,447 posts, read 4,042,372 times
Just a word of advice, most retirement communities in FL won't even let you in the gate without a RE agent with you. There is little to no "going in to have a look around."

Old 04-25-2022, 11:41 AM

80 posts, read 62,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Sometimes, we contemplate moving to a senior community. Although we can still maintain a house and yard, we know that could change in the blink of an eye. I am open to the idea of a condo with amenities and activities geared to our age group (70s) but I wonder if that is even affordable anymore. I think we might rather rent than buy at this point. We’d like to stay in the southeast.

Do you live in such a community, and if so, are you happy there? Any pitfalls to watch out for?
We have lived in The Villages (TV) for 3 years after snowbirding here 3 winters b/4 that. There are mostly SFHs here but more amenities and activities for seniors than anywhere else you could find. It is very easy to make new friends if you make an effort.

If you, or anyone has any specific questions about TV I will try to help.

Old 04-25-2022, 12:10 PM

23,206 posts, read 29,014,764 times
When I think of FL I immediately think of insects/mosquito's. I worked as a Waiter, in 1969, on Captiva Island and that cured me of Florida.

What do they do to control the insects in these communities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement