U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:22 PM

2,317 posts, read 4,639,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The reason you are declined is because they can charge non-medicare patients more. It's all about the money. They don't care about us. They really don't care.
It is unfortunate because It's all a big business,from the medical professions
to the pharmaceutical companies.What I do, is preventive
medicine,such as exercise,running,watching my diet(sometimes it's hard)
taking vitamin,and herb supplements,getting proper rest, and very Important
avoid stress at all cost,you really want to enjoy yourself and have a good
quality of life in your retirement years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 10:10 PM

185 posts, read 631,912 times
[quote=livecontent;3938682]This is incorrect. Medicare coverage starts at 65 or under 65 for some people who are disabled under Social Security.

You have to be disabled for 2 years before medicare kicks in. For example if you are 58 medicare won't start until you are 60 yrs old. I know because I have been there. A friends son became disable at 43 and his started when he was 45. He had to go on TennCare for the 2 years until medicare would pay.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:27 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times
It si teh inherited genes problem that seem to be a real problem even if you take care of yourself. I just had a third friend that was a excersise triner and in very good shape other wise have heart problems at 55. Another that jogged al his life not have severe knee problems to teh point that he may have to have replacement in the future.Two others that worked out every day and had no weight problems have heart attacks and one then got diabetes in his 50's.Cetainly best to stay health as it certainlyhelps recovery in seems.But get those screenign as their is no substitute really.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It si teh inherited genes problem that seem to be a real problem even if you take care of yourself. I just had a third friend that was a excersise triner and in very good shape other wise have heart problems at 55. Another that jogged al his life not have severe knee problems to teh point that he may have to have replacement in the future.Two others that worked out every day and had no weight problems have heart attacks and one then got diabetes in his 50's.Cetainly best to stay health as it certainlyhelps recovery in seems.But get those screenign as their is no substitute really.
this is true,sometimes genetics play a role,but that is when you have to get regular check-ups and deal with the problem,so you can go on and enjoy
your life

Old 06-05-2008, 09:14 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,289,838 times
Red face Coartist...:)

I could not agree with you more about how to stay well & healthy...but part of the problem is work itself: I sit at a desk all day so regular exercise is sometimes difficult, can't avoid stress as it hits me from all angles and part of that stress is trying to figure out how to retire in six months and still have the ability to pay for medical care, especially preventative care. It's sort of a Catch 22.

I could work for another three years and be Medicare eligible when I retire but the fact of the matter is I DON'T WANT TO. The stress of the job, the dislike of where I live and the compelling need to do more with my life that sit at a desk 10 hours a day is just so much more important to me than 3 years of medical benefits. So...I will figure it out and I will enjoy my retired life even if I do have that health care concern...but I sure wish there was an easier way to manage this aging process

Old 06-05-2008, 11:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,558 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
.. part of that stress is trying to figure out how to retire in six months and still have the ability to pay for medical care, especially preventative care. ...(
18 months COBRA gets you half way (for a price...) then you can do an HSA or get a private policy (for about 1/2 price... ) but not great for 'preventive', some 'urgency care / occupation medicine' places are much cheaper than a Dr. for this. Maybe there will be some options by then. Definately something you should look into is the state plans where you are headed. Seems ID may be you best 'low-cost' option in PNW. Moscow and north is pretty nice, as are some other 'pockets'.

ranked on taxes
OR (#31) has the low thresh-hold and 9% income tax. WA (#9) seems to be digging deep to collect property and business taxes. ID (#42) is more broad based taxed. MT (#39) is a little less restrictive in building codes if that is of value. I'm not sure which has the best potential medical plan for 'low-income + non-seniors', but let me know ! I'm looking

Old 06-05-2008, 02:38 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,558,234 times
Regarding "keeping yourself healthy," I note that anyone could slip on ice if you walk outside. Anyone could be in a car accident caused by someone else if you ever drive or travel by vehicle. (Seeing as both of these things have happened to me long before thinking about retirement age...)
Of course it's prudent and rewarding to eat well and exercise and examine your gentic background (gee, I'm up to one out of three!). But a whole lotta things can happen anyway.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I could not agree with you more about how to stay well & healthy...but part of the problem is work itself: I sit at a desk all day so regular exercise is sometimes difficult, can't avoid stress as it hits me from all angles and part of that stress is trying to figure out how to retire in six months and still have the ability to pay for medical care, especially preventative care. It's sort of a Catch 22.

I could work for another three years and be Medicare eligible when I retire but the fact of the matter is I DON'T WANT TO. The stress of the job, the dislike of where I live and the compelling need to do more with my life that sit at a desk 10 hours a day is just so much more important to me than 3 years of medical benefits. So...I will figure it out and I will enjoy my retired life even if I do have that health care concern...but I sure wish there was an easier way to manage this aging process
Well,you want to hear about stress,I was a NYC correction officer for 20
years! I also,like you did not care for where I lived.The way I handled it
was I changed my attitude and outlook on my problems...STRESS WILL
GET YOU VERY SICK...I know alot of people that did not make it due to stress!believe me,I know what it's like to work in a negative environment,
what I did was focus on the positive,took one day at a time,didn't take
too many things serious...I just retired 3/1/08 and from last year everyday
I would say an affirmation like "this to shall pass" or God give me strength
to make the right decisions...It finally worked out for me,you can do it to!
I know it sounds like alot of cliche's but,STRESS IS NOT WORTH IT,...
I wish you all the best,and do not worry,It don't make a difference anyway..

Old 06-05-2008, 11:19 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,546,321 times
[quote=Rainna;3969093]
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
This is incorrect. Medicare coverage starts at 65 or under 65 for some people who are disabled under Social Security.

You have to be disabled for 2 years before medicare kicks in. For example if you are 58 medicare won't start until you are 60 yrs old. I know because I have been there. A friends son became disable at 43 and his started when he was 45. He had to go on TennCare for the 2 years until medicare would pay.
You are right. I was just correcting the post that incorrectly stated how and what Medigap coverage is designed to cover. I am disabled under social security and 24 months is required until medicare coverage takes effect--and it is a problem.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:31 PM

185 posts, read 631,912 times
[quote=livecontent;4008411]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainna View Post

You are right. I was just correcting the post that incorrectly stated how and what Medigap coverage is designed to cover. I am disabled under social security and 24 months is required until medicare coverage takes effect--and it is a problem.

It is a major problem. I was without insurance coverage for those two years before mine kicked in an thankfully I didn't have any serious health issuses at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or