U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 04:19 PM

296 posts, read 730,586 times

Advertisements

I read all of your posts on healthcare and it makes me thankful that I live in a country that provides its citizens with a national health care service, which I gladly support via payroll taxes. The USA can be very harsh and it most certainly isn't the "greatest country in the world" like the politicians want everyone to believe.

I just can't understand why the Americans put up with such inequality. It just doesn't make any sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 11:55 PM

4,728 posts, read 9,091,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane 3953 View Post
I read all of your posts on healthcare and it makes me thankful that I live in a country that provides its citizens with a national health care service, which I gladly support via payroll taxes. The USA can be very harsh and it most certainly isn't the "greatest country in the world" like the politicians want everyone to believe.

I just can't understand why the Americans put up with such inequality. It just doesn't make any sense.
Plain Jane, are you Canadian? If so, explain a bit about your health care for retirees. I am sure that I am not the only one here who would be interested.

My husband and I have a very liberal, health care program through a company he retired from at 40 some yrs. old. He since went to work for another company, but we still have the health care program from the company that he retired from over 20 yrs. ago. It is for life. Not many plans like that exist any longer.

At 65, Medicare will become our primary insurance, as well, but our current insurance will back up what Medicare does not cover. We feel extremely fortunate to have this type of coverage, particularly since I have Lupus and require lots of meds and doctors.

I wish that the US could provide better coverage for our seniors who make up the vast majority of folks who so desperately need healthcare. It is a shameful notion that a country which touts being the richest and most powerful country on earth could neglect its own citizenry who are in such need - the elderly and the young and disenfranchised.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:28 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,025,711 times
Quote:

You can tell we're not the greatest country in the world, because we don't take care of our elderly, or our poor, or as they say, "the least of us". It's always an excellent way to judge a society.

I think a major reason why we "put up" with inequality is because we have no representation in our government. The so-called representatives are all bought out by corporations and special interest groups. We the People have no say in how our country is run. It sucks, and there are many people here trying to "take back" our country and make it OURS again - for the people - not for corporations and the rich. But, it's not as simple as voting for different people - they're ALL in on the corruption.

So, it's going to take some time to get back to what it was when citizens actually had the upper hand, and could decide how we wanted to live our lives.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:08 PM

5,398 posts, read 21,412,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
You can tell we're not the greatest country in the world, because we don't take care of our elderly, or our poor, or as they say, "the least of us". It's always an excellent way to judge a society.
Maybe.

But we have a country that has a tradition of freedom of choice and the wide range of consequences that go with it.

There are many that make lifestyle decisions that favor immediate gratification at the expense of future security. The politically correct response of late seems to be a moral judgment that these people should be supported by the public.

The government certainly needs to take actions where possible to lower health care costs and insure a minimal level of care for the sake of society, but full health care should not be a public responsibility.

As long as we have a society where we have free choice and make every effort to provide equal opportunities, there is no reason we should insure equal results.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:14 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times
Besides which even if you don't have health insurance you will get treated at a hospital.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,651 posts, read 40,020,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Besides which even if you don't have health insurance you will get treated at a hospital.
yes, witness that in Southern Border states !! The ER is like a line at Disneyland

and... the northern states have a lesser, but similar issue. I know several Canadians who immigrated to US to get treatment for terminal disease / illness. They claimed that after pursuing care for sometimes over a year, they had no choice. Stay in Canada and die, or come to the US and pay a few hundred thousand $ and live. Some choice... especially for a 22 yr old I recently talked with who had serious cancer, but no solution in Canada, He said it will take him over 10 years to pay off his debt in US, but he is happy to be alive and is working 3 jobs to pay the debt.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:46 AM

Plain Jane, are you Canadian? If so, explain a bit about your health care for retirees. I am sure that I am not the only one here who would be interested

No, gemkeeper, I am not Canadian, I am a British/American, living in the UK.
The health care system in the UK is the same for all citizens, young, middle-aged and elderly. There are some great hospitals and some not so great. Overall, our national health care system is excellent. Is it perfect? No, not at all.

Yes, people might wait for treatment here because the most urgent and critical cases are dealt with first. That is OK by me.

I see another poster was rubbishing the Canadian healthcare system. I can’t comment as I have not lived in Canada and experienced their health care system (I know that doesn’t stop other people from making critical comments). I have experienced the Australia national health care system and, it too, is excellent.

We pay for the healthcare system through payroll taxes. I don’t pay much more in taxes here in the UK as I did when I worked in the US.

You are indeed very lucky, gemkeeper, if you have your health care covered. I want to see all Americans have access to affordable healthcare, every man, woman and child. I am not calling for a national health care system in the US, just a fair system that all can participate in.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:53 AM

Cousinsal: The so-called representatives are all bought out by corporations and special interest groups. We the People have no say in how our country is run. It sucks, and there are many people here trying to "take back" our country and make it OURS again - for the people - not for corporations and the rich. But, it's not as simple as voting for different people - they're ALL in on the corruption.

I know. And how tragic has this been for the hard working Americans who simply are trying to keep a roof over their heads and feed their family. I wonder if I will still be around when the revolution starts…

Old 06-14-2008, 08:13 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,057,804 times
Quote:
We pay for the healthcare system through payroll taxes. I donít pay much more in taxes here in the UK as I did when I worked in the US.
This is interesting. One of the big fears about universal care here in the US is that our taxes would go thru the roof. Usually, this is from people who don't consider the cost of health care insurance plus the copays plus all the charges that we pay that the insurance doesn't pay - adding in all those costs as a payroll tax is the true comparison. I'm among the lucky who have good health insurance, but every year, it costs more and covers less and less.

I hear those stories of Canadians who come here for care because they can't get into the doctors in Canada, but I also hear about people in the US who go to India or Thailand for surgeries because they cost a fraction of what it costs here. There was a huge industry of US people buying their prescription drugs in Canada - so much less $$ for the same drug.

All the talk about self-sufficiency and taking responsibility starts falling apart with the huge numbers of hard-working employed people of modest income with no insurance at all. When you have to make a choice between paying the rent and putting groceries on the table or paying for insurance, no one is going to pay for the insurance instead. The average income in this country is something under $50k a year.

As for the emergency rooms for those people - they are overwhelmed with non-critical people using them as a doctor and acute people have been known to die in line in them all the time because they can't handle the load. Oh, and how good can the care be from overwhelmed doctors trying to get to the most urgent while stitching up the random cut? And what about the large numbers who don't have a minor ailment attended to until it becomes life threatening? This is what happens in the third-world countries.

It is a myth that we have the best health care in the world. No more. It is a broken system.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:02 PM

13,325 posts, read 25,586,246 times
I absolutely would find it just fine to wait for non-critical care in exchange for national health coverage. If all the employee payments and employer co-pays were bundled and yes, taxes increased, it could be done.
As someone who has belonged to an HMO for decades, I see no problem with some limits on "choices."
But the insurance companies are huge and powerful. Where is their place in national coverage? If there isn't one, they will fight it tooth n' nail.
I do think businesses in general might support national coverage, so as to be competitive with coverage nations economically.
We are all one pink slip, one hurricane, or one divorce away from no coverage, if we are the lucky employees/family of people with coverage right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or