U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:31 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,024,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
If you can afford to retire, you are lucky.
If you own a home, you are lucky.
If you haven't lost all your savings to medical debt or debt accumulated by losing a job, you're lucky.

I hear people complain and they are retired at 50. What do they want?
You said it beautifully! I did one of those calculator things yesterday to see how much to save for retirement (on top of ss and pension), and it said 104% of my salary! It's so absurd that I can't take it too seriously and get freaked out.

"USA Today" has been running articles lately about money problems that most people are having - it's all over the U.S. There was an article yesterday about middle-class people becoming homeless. How can anyone say with a straight face that all is well? Or, that even if they are doing ok, they refuse to see what's going on for their fellow citizens? Or blame people for their money problems when wages have stagnated for decades and everything else has gone up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 08:47 AM

30,682 posts, read 49,449,101 times
I am very fortunate.

My career field is known for fairly high disability and mortality rates; so they provide 'free' medical while we are still working, and they provide a system of health care for when we retire.

My family has gone years being treated [surgeries, birthing children, bones set, dental care, etc] by my employer's Medical department [which was free to us. Rarely were we treated by any 'docs' who had been to college or medical school. But it was 'free', so we really could not complain.

Today in my 'retirement', I pay a small fee to enroll into a health coverage plan, where we are treated by civilian 'doctors'. Today we are getting by far the best level of quality care that I have seen for 30 years. Each of these 'docs' is a 'doctor', which again is a huge improvement in quality.

We have a 'co-pay' for each office visit, and we pay $3 for each drug refill.

My choice of career field years ago; enables me today to have medical coverage for myself and my family; for an medical / health annual total expenditure of ~$800.

My Dw has suffered three Heart Attacks. She has been hospitalized each time with extended medical procedures and surgeries. Though fortunately our out of pocket expenses have remained low, due to my employer's benefit package.

So I can see, yet again, where my career choices decades ago, did have a large influence over my economics while I now live on my pension.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:11 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,255,903 times
I just turned 61, and got layed off. I have to pay for Cobra at $692/mo. I am collecting and hope the extension for NJ for unemployment kicks in for me. At 62 I have to retire as being forced to, with the bad job market. Thank God I'm close to early retirement to get out of this crazy job market, but what do I do from 62 to 65 for health care? I can't find a decent job, especially when there is age discrimation out there, believe it or not.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,577 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
... but what do I do from 62 to 65 for health care? I can't find a decent job, ....
school district... There was a local position of 'courier'. Delivering mail between schools and going to the bank. 6hrs / day including benefits

Not much for wages, but a 9 month / yr PT job with benefits would do if you aren't into traveling. If so you will need to buy an HSA.

My COBRA was $981 3 yrs ago. My spouse got a PT job with health benefits the month COBRA died. (thank goodness)

Old 06-28-2008, 11:03 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,932,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Tesaje, I have to agree with a lot of what you express as real concerns with national healthcare for Americans.

I do have to take exception with emergency room treatment, in general. Many of America's poor or uninsured do use the hospital ERs as their primary care facility because most doctors will not even see them without the coveted insurance card. They may be totally reliable about paying their doctor's bill over time, but most doctor's won't even make an appointment for them.

They, now, ask when you call for an appointment for all of your insurance information before you are even scheduled. If you have no information to give, the doctor is taking no new patients.

I have one doctor that requires you to sign in for your appointment and pay your co-pay before you are called back to the exam room. What? Do people see the doctor and then run out a side door so they don't have to pay? Or, do the doctor's offices not want to hear "I will bring my $10 co-pay in on Wed. when I get paid."? Never mind that the patient has a 103° fever!!

Back to the emergency rooms. I have visited many throughout the US for an unusual medical condition that I won't go into. But, I have been to ERs in probably 10 states including Hawaii.

With the triage that most ERs use diligently and wisely, any patient that is in serious need of immediate care, in my experience, has been rushed right to the exam area before the poor 4 yr. old who has been waiting an hour with an earache. I am sorry for the youngster's earache, but a life is precious and I believe either through better medical practices, or perhaps fear of litigation, Ers are more discerning of late as to who is seen first.

Very true, however, that if you seem to have the flu or a sprained ankle, you may sit for 3 hours before being seen. Sad, but true.

Thirty + years ago, my two yr. old son cut off his pinky finger in a door. We rushed the crying baby and the finger (on ice in a baggie - another Zip-Loc to the rescue!) to the emergency room. We waited for the requisite 3 hours to see a surgeon to see if the finger could be sewed back on. A neighbor called the hospital that we were on the way and by the time we reached the hospital - within 15 minutes - my son had gone into mild shock. This was enough to stop the bleeding and pain, so I think that the staff thought there was no rush, although no one could bear looking at it without their eyes bugging out!!

Fortunately, the surgeon was able to save about 3/4 of the finger and my son now sports a goofy looking short pinky.

This delay in treatment, I don't believe, would happen in any US hospital today. Or Canadian or British, for that matter. I think that most hospitals take their responsibility and liability very seriously in most cases.

The difficulty arises because there are just so many folks requiring care and hospitals cutting staff because of high overhead. Add to this all of the qualified people leaving the healthcare profession because of overwork, liability insurance and poor & unsafe working conditions - it is hurting us all.

Sorry to get so long-winded. I hope some of this makes sense to others.

Yes'alot of people do nto pay their co-pay after seeing a doctor for one reason or another.That is why so many require it payed in advance.Don't kid yourself that it wouldn't happen here as far as delay. Remeber that the hospitals hare are not owned by the governamnt. Just as medicare service has been reduced because many doctor are dropping them as reembirsements are lower.In fact if you look medicare patients are more and more moved to very poor separate facilties owned by the same hospital as soon after sergury as possible. In fact I see a three tier system coming with the worse care coming from universal insurnace as comapred to private or cash.Except it will be worse as the governamnt doesn't own many hogpitals like in european countries.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
... . In fact I see a three tier system coming with the worse care coming from universal insurnace as comapred to private or cash.Except it will be worse as the governamnt doesn't own many hogpitals like in european countries.
Even in Europe there exist private care hospitals, and there exist public-funded ones.

Having been treated in European Ospitales, I would like to throw in a small bit of realism here.

Doctors being paid minimum wage, whether they treat patients or not, whether they are 'good' in their practice of medicine or not, does not ensure a high level of quality care.

If you want food while in Ospitale, then your family better bring it.
If you want your dressings changed, then ....
If your bedpan needs to be emptied, then ...

It is an entirely different kind of medical care than what we see in American hospitals.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 PM

4,728 posts, read 9,087,846 times
You bring up a very good point, forest beekeeper. Although, most of us agree that the US system of lop-sided healthcare needs a major overhaul, we do have quality healthcare when needed.

This, of course, is not a blanket statement. You hear about real horror stories of healthcare in the hospitals as well. But, by and large, you can expect some the best procedures, medications, and healthcare workers in the US.

The problem lies in the fact that it is not equal and available to all. That in itself is a crime against American citizens. Why should a single mother on Assistance have to watch her child suffer from asthma or become ill herself and not able to care for her child, for lack of fair and equal healthcare?

Why should our 62 year old poster have to worry or pay thousands of dollars for the next 3 years to get health care just because at his age he is considered unemployable. Totally unfair and unjust of the richest country in the world.

We are able to send medical relief and set up foreign food banks in third world countries, but we have Americans who have worked hard their entire lives giving their best to society only to lanquish in their golden years for lack of health insurance. Where is the justice in that?

My husband went into the hospital 3 weeks ago for outpatient surgery. The hospital cost without the surgeon's fee and the anesthesiologist's fee was $8,000.00. For a 5 hour stay in the hospital out-patient surgery! Our insurance pre-approved $6000. We had to pay the hospital the other $2000 up front when my husband checked in even though we had the letter approval from our insurance that they would pay 80% of the 2 grand balance. Now, we have to wait for the hospital to reimburse us the $1,600.00 over payment that they made us pay before my husband could put on his silly tie-in-the-back gown. How long do you think we'll have to wait for that?

Seniors, and all citizens in this country, deserve better.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:22 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,561,639 times
For healthcare insurance from age 62-65, consider a part-time job as an overnight residence counselor for a group home of some sort. There are state mentally disabled homes, and you get pro-rated benefits for as little as two shifts a week. I know a lot of people who work in group residences, either private or state, for the health insurance. Overnights should be quiet, and in many, you are a sleepover counselor. There are psychiatric, head injury, retarded, adolescent... Check with your state department of mental health or mentally retarded services.
A lot of people with non-benefit day jobs or musicians/students do this in my area. Very short pay, but the insurance is the reason.
Hospitals also usually pay pro-rated benefits for part-time jobs on all levels.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:15 AM

296 posts, read 730,295 times
Beekeeper said:
"Even in Europe there exist private care hospitals, and there exist public-funded ones.

Having been treated in European Ospitales, I would like to throw in a small bit of realism here.

Doctors being paid minimum wage, whether they treat patients or not, whether they are 'good' in their practice of medicine or not, does not ensure a high level of quality care.

It is an entirely different kind of medical care than what we see in American hospitals."

I can’t speak for all European hospitals but there are many UK hospitals run by the "national health service" that are just plain excellent – and the NHS staff supply the food, change dressings and empty bedpans. France is supposed to have the best government run health care system in Europe. I would have to think that the Germans do a damn good job as well.
I don’t understand the comment about them being "entirely different kind of medical care than what we see in American hospitals".
My boss’ wife got meningitis and was cared for by the national health care. She was in a very serious condition but did pull through it. My boss said he was very grateful to the national health care staff who nursed her back to health. One of my colleagues’ wife suffered from liver damage and needed a transplant. She had two transplants because her body rejected the first one. That was 20 years ago and she is doing fine – all of this care was provided by the Kings Hospital in London – which is supposed to be first class. One of our admin staff’s son had cancer when he was a teenager – he was taken care of in the Children’s Hospital in Birmingham. He is now 25. His mother raves about the care he rec’d from the national health care system.
All all of the health care that I described above, cost the individuals involved nothing whatsoever at the point of use.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane 3953 View Post
Beekeeper said:
"Even in Europe there exist private care hospitals, and there exist public-funded ones.

It is an entirely different kind of medical care than what we see in American hospitals."

I can’t speak for all European hospitals but there are many UK hospitals run by the "national health service" that are just plain excellent – and the NHS staff supply the food, change dressings and empty bedpans. France is supposed to have the best government run health care system in Europe. I would have to think that the Germans do a damn good job as well.
I don’t understand the comment about them being "entirely different kind of medical care than what we see in American hospitals".
My boss’ wife got meningitis and was cared for by the national health care. She was in a very serious condition but did pull through it. My boss said he was very grateful to the national health care staff who nursed her back to health. One of my colleagues’ wife suffered from liver damage and needed a transplant. She had two transplants because her body rejected the first one. That was 20 years ago and she is doing fine – all of this care was provided by the Kings Hospital in London – which is supposed to be first class. One of our admin staff’s son had cancer when he was a teenager – he was taken care of in the Children’s Hospital in Birmingham. He is now 25. His mother raves about the care he rec’d from the national health care system.
All all of the health care that I described above, cost the individuals involved nothing whatsoever at the point of use.
The UK health care system is pretty good, I once had seven bones set by a Brit Orthopedic doc.

When you travel to the continent, it does vary.

I have never been in French care, though I have been treated once by an Austrian doc [private care].

I have seen the Spanish system and the Greek. I spent a few years living in Italy, and I have been inside many Italian Ospitales.

The Spanish and Greek were both very much modeled like the Italian system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or