U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:24 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times

Advertisements

I thnik you would ahve to see waht is expected by americans in the health care. A women recently described going through both systems to have two children. Basically she said that she got less pre-care;the hospital was rundown. her birth was by a nurse practioner;she was in a twelve bed ward and couldn;t wait to leave;so pressed to release her one day early. Then afterwards the followup was by a nurse practiioner that didn't seem to know anything really.Plus the related wait for serious surgeries that other talked about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 09:06 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,049,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thnik you would ahve to see waht is expected by americans in the health care. A women recently described going through both systems to have two children. Basically she said that she got less pre-care;the hospital was rundown. her birth was by a nurse practioner;she was in a twelve bed ward and couldn;t wait to leave;so pressed to release her one day early. Then afterwards the followup was by a nurse practiioner that didn't seem to know anything really.Plus the related wait for serious surgeries that other talked about.
Which system are you talking about?

Old 07-06-2008, 09:40 AM

268 posts, read 726,147 times
I think the medical system we have now is going to collapse. There will be a mass of old people who will need services with no medical insurance in the next ten years. Medicare is going broke and not enough workers to fund with pay roll taxes. Lots of illegal immigrants and under insured workers using the emergency room as their primary care system. Medical and drug costs rising faster than the rate of inflation. Medical insurance rate premiums rising faster than the rate of inflation. Drug and medical insurance companies pouring in millions of dollars to lobby and influence the government.

It can't sustain that for much longer.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:42 AM

4,074 posts, read 6,416,683 times
I posted earlier but here is an update; I have been in northeast TN for three months and have not found an MD who will accept me yet. I have gone to the Medicare website and viewed all Medicare doctors in the area and all have refused me. They tell me they accept Medicare patients but have me fill out an application and then tell me they refuse to treat me but do not give me a reason. Since retiring I have lived in DE, NC, SC, PA, and now TN and TN is the only place I have experienced this action. I am a veteran and will be getting my medical care from the VA while I am here. I am against doing this because of my Medicare entitlement and the fact that our veterans medical care is so terribly overburdened. I think the way veterans and seniors are treated in this country is a disgrace. I have nine months on my lease here in TN and I will be departing here for a place where I can get good medical care. It is really sad to think that I must go to the expense and effort of moving because TN does not have doctors who honor their Hippocratic oath that states, "treat all who seek treatment."
Don

Old 07-06-2008, 10:26 AM

5,393 posts, read 21,388,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I posted earlier but here is an update; I have been in northeast TN for three months and have not found an MD who will accept me yet. I have gone to the Medicare website and viewed all Medicare doctors in the area and all have refused me. They tell me they accept Medicare patients but have me fill out an application and then tell me they refuse to treat me but do not give me a reason.
Does your application show a medi-gap supplemental policy? If not that may be the reason you are having such a difficult time as many practices have been hurt by short payments.

My family has a number of people that are vets and treated very well at VA hospitals... in fact my mother does better with VA care than she ever did with private practices and insurance.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:10 PM

4,074 posts, read 6,416,683 times
cdelena,
I have BC/BS as a secondary insurance. Typical previous Medicare payment showed they were paid 95% of their total bill by Medicare, BC/BS, and my copay. Medical providers over charge to make up for the short fall. Keep in mind I had no problem in DE, NC, SC, or PA. So where's the problem in TN? If they don't want Medicare patients they should state that right up front.
As to VA health care, I said they were "overburdened." I believe there are veterans who have no other care and to bog down the VA system with veterans who are entitled to Medicare is just wrong. I did not mention anything about the quality of VA care.
Don

Old 07-06-2008, 05:45 PM

5,393 posts, read 21,388,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
cdelena,
I have BC/BS as a secondary insurance. Typical previous Medicare payment showed they were paid 95% of their total bill by Medicare, BC/BS, and my copay. Medical providers over charge to make up for the short fall. Keep in mind I had no problem in DE, NC, SC, or PA. So where's the problem in TN? If they don't want Medicare patients they should state that right up front.
As to VA health care, I said they were "overburdened." I believe there are veterans who have no other care and to bog down the VA system with veterans who are entitled to Medicare is just wrong. I did not mention anything about the quality of VA care.
Don
I understand your logic regarding overcrowding but as far as funding the VA does collect from both Medicare and supplemental insurance in many cases. I certainly do not know why TN healthcare providers are universally refusing Medicare patients without explanation.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:47 PM

92 posts, read 196,045 times
Default medicare and VA

FYI.....by statute, the VA cannot collect from Medicare.....they can collect from third party insurers and supplemental insurance, but not Medicare....

best of luck

Old 02-24-2017, 08:14 AM

24 posts, read 21,510 times
Default bump......

Current topic need advise

[mod note] "Bumping" threads is prohibited per the T.O.S. However, it is permissible to revive an old thread with a specific query or new/additional information. [/mod note]

Last edited by volosong; 02-24-2017 at 08:34 AM..

Old 02-24-2017, 08:21 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,173,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.V. SnowBird View Post
Current topic need advise
You need to be a little more specific. What do you need advice on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or