Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 02:00 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,146,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
The absolute worst is when it's "Kars4KIDS" or "It's a Small World After all"!
Emmmm...have you heard this one? LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPGUIpv-JxI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 03:32 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,532,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Try displacing it with new music? Yours is an interesting problem though. Your brain must really like musical patterns and memories. Cool.
I’m not even musical!

Old 05-10-2022, 04:38 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
Not only could I not quit hearing Harry Nillson’s “Put the Lime in the Coconut” after a I heard it the other day, I kept moving to the rhythm as I was working around the house.

Old 05-10-2022, 04:46 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,192,841 times
"Joe le Taxi" by Vanessa Paradis. Haunted me for days last week. And I don't even speak French! Ugh!!

Old 05-10-2022, 04:53 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
This funny thread would segue nicely into the "songs you just can't stand" thread...

I worked for a yacht maintenance company for a rather interesting year or so; wrestling with rusted fittings, stripping and applying varnish, scouring teak, polishing endless miles of chrome, scraping barnacles off bottoms, removing sun-dried, gull-digested squid off gelcoat with a fingernail. Of course you do give every other method a try, but end up going back to the fingernail.

One of the marina's yacht brokers had a rigger who installed the finishing touches on their customers' expensive new toys. He was a big band performer in his previous life and defaulted to whistling the same few tunes over and over while he was working. Never knew which tunes they were, but to this day decades later, if I get a whiff of varnish or some other marine chemical his whistling starts replaying in my head. At this particular marina, boat owners were never around on weekdays, only the folks who actually maintained their toys. On days the whistler had a job somewhere else, the harbor seemed eerily quiet. Until someone lost their footing on a slippery deck and fell into the water. Then the whole place would erupt in laughter, hooting, and catcalls. If someone asked where to find the rigger, we'd tell them to stroll the docks until they heard big band tunes. Never failed!

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-10-2022 at 06:01 PM..

Old 05-10-2022, 05:04 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Not only could I not quit hearing Harry Nillson’s “Put the Lime in the Coconut” after a I heard it the other day, I kept moving to the rhythm as I was working around the house.
For some reason I start humming Scott Joplin rags when I do household chores. My dad loved jazz and ragtime and built up quite a record collection. My mother played them when we all had tedious work to do. That irresistible rhythm got everyone's toes tapping. At least they didn't have obnoxious lyrics.

Old 05-10-2022, 05:07 PM

538 posts, read 538,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I have always likened it to a 6th sense ….the ability to sort through and hear all kinds of hand patterns and rhythms in my head.

When I used to ride the subway I would hear things in the sounds of the wheels and rails .

One time we were doing a show in Montreal and I do took Amtrak up …

By the time I got to Montreal I had put together some stuff in my head I heard going on in the rails and wheels and I actually performed some of it at the show
MJ, as a drummer you may enjoy another version of drumming - punch drumming - hitting the speed to the beat of a song. Here is just a sampling of some of the best punch drummers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6QqHDCB4dw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJpxcjMkQS0

EDIT: Sorry for the sidetrack.

Last edited by Cuzzant; 05-10-2022 at 05:19 PM..

Old 05-10-2022, 05:27 PM

6,585 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
The absolute worst is when it's "Kars4KIDS" or "It's a Small World After all"!
That's just wrong lol

I listen to music most of the day, and wake up with a different song in my head every morning. I love it! I just turn my music on to get rid of it

Old 05-10-2022, 09:07 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I recently changed the channel from Christmas to Fine Young Cannibals. Chewing gum supposedly helps.
Fine Young Cannibals??? Damn, I'd never turn them off.

Shame they only did a couple of albums.

Old 05-10-2022, 09:09 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
"Joe le Taxi" by Vanessa Paradis. Haunted me for days last week. And I don't even speak French! Ugh!!
Nah. It haunted you because of the Johnny Depp/Amber Heard trial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement