Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2022, 05:01 PM

24,244 posts, read 10,556,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't read everything on this forum and haven't seen the $30 minimum wage/breaking into houses thing.

Not saying the "mindset" isn't still there; just saying I didn't encounter that particular problem.
Some politician wanna be. Count your blessings that all is well in your shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 05:03 PM

24,244 posts, read 10,556,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't read everything on this forum and haven't seen the $30 minimum wage/breaking into houses thing. Where is it?

Not saying the "mindset" isn't still there; just saying I didn't encounter that particular problem.
Some political wanna be had her moment of fame.

I am glad to hear that your shop is running full steam. Please keep it up.

Old 05-23-2022, 06:33 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,916,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Wouldn't that be twauk or tuwauk? Like in cuwoffee.......

No.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:00 PM

26,586 posts, read 36,518,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Some politician wanna be. Count your blessings that all is well in your shop.
If they can get $30 an hour minimum wage, more power to them, but it seems like an awful lot of people these days are expecting businesses to subsidize a runaway real estate market. Idk what the answer is. People have to be able to pay for housing and food, and something's wrong when the average job doesn't pay the average rent.

We figured out years ago that paying less people more money to bring a higher level of competence to the overall picture was in our best interests. It probably helps that our community has more housing security than most.

If a business is built on a house of cards with low-wage workers making up the bottom tier, it's going to topple down at some point, pandemic or not. Those that claim they're losing their shirts because "no one wants to work!" clearly weren't dressed for bad weather.

I'm semi-retired from the business (my son runs the daily operations these days), and I do freelance writing to keep productive when the salmon aren't running. I do pretty well with it, but I certainly don't keep bankers' hours. It's my understanding that more and more people are doing this type of work, so I'm sure that makes a difference in the number of people shopping whenever they want.

ETA thanks for the well-wishes; we've been there over 35 years now and won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:10 PM

1,802 posts, read 1,233,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
To me, the 24x7 nature is the tragedy of it all. There is really no “off time” anymore. I’m never really off the leash. Sure, I can cheese a bit of time during the day for a Target run sometimes, but I’m also basically available 24x7 in a way most Boomers and Silents were not.
This is not new. Been the mentality in Silicon Valley for 20 years. It’s why I retired.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:07 PM

37,769 posts, read 40,902,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm not surprised by the replies lol I'm not surprised that some people who work still are replying.
Yeah, what are they doing posting in a thread addressed to retirees and some when they're supposed to be working? For those that are federal employees, does working from home mean you give up your locality pay?

Old 05-23-2022, 08:28 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,659,779 times
Because the issues around retirement exist on a spectrum of age and employment status. Open your mind.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:38 PM

26,586 posts, read 36,518,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yeah, what are they doing posting in a thread addressed to retirees and some when they're supposed to be working? For those that are federal employees, does working from home mean you give up your locality pay?
Like I already told you, I'm self-employed and can post, shop (or order Instacart online ), and do whatever whenever I want.

Maybe you should get Instacart if people in the stores bother you so much.

Do you simply not understand that working from home typically involves flexible scheduling? Do you really think that if these employees were "getting away with something," it would go unnoticed?

You can find the answer to your question about federal employees through a quick Google search.

Old 05-24-2022, 05:59 AM

4,338 posts, read 4,702,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How do you know when people are “supposed” to be working? Like mentioned multiple times, most people who are able to work from home have flexible schedules. And as someone who is near retirement, I read this forum for information. Not that it’s any of your business.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:24 AM

899 posts, read 536,383 times
Employers know if their employees aren't getting the work done.

I WFH full time and my hours are irrelevant. I do the work that is expected whether it's at 9 AM or finishing a project at midnight. My company doesn't track my online hours like Big Brother, but measures my performance by the deliverables.

No one cares if you make quick errands at various points of the day or pop out to the gym or walk the dog or do tasks around the house, as long as you get your work done. Of course there's expectations that you're in the meetings you need to be in and you don't blow off a meeting to go to the supermarket. But beyond that, the 9-5 in a cubicle world is increasingly a thing of the past for many of us.

It's great having this flexibility. Love not commuting, love the quieter times at markets and ease of popping out for an appointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement