U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:00 PM

16,437 posts, read 19,140,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
No, the crime rate where we are going to retire is very low. It's a holdover from where I grew up. Something that is always in the back of my mind, whether the actual threat is there or not.
If it's not yet it will be in the near future, regardless of where you live. Sadly, our society is disentegrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:06 PM

30,684 posts, read 49,455,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
... Florida also is not a great state for affordable health insurance nor is California but they may not be as bad as the northeast.
Your post mentions the North East, making a blanket statement about those states, yet it does not list the states of the North East.

I am enrolled in Martins Point health insurance, and I think it is great!

My tenants are covered by Mohegan Sun/Moon and by Foxwoods [their employers] and their policies are great!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:54 AM

28,242 posts, read 39,901,543 times
Don't forget your vehicles.

A rule of thumb we were given years ago was to buy a brand new car when you retire. Make it the safest car you can afford, and fit it to what you expect to be doing in retirement.

If you are going to travel a lot by car, get one that will hold all your stuff, good mileage, and is comfortable.

If you aren't planning on a lot of long distance driving a smaller, more efficient car is good.

Living in an area with snowy winters calls for a four wheel drive, high clearance vehicle.

We are replacing my car within the next 1 - 1 1/2 years. I'm looking for a hybrid (If Chevy does it right it might be the Volt - if I fit in it that is) and the wife wants a Prius or Camry. I have also read that Honda is building a hybrid based on the Remix.

2008 Honda REMIX (http://www.zercustoms.com/news/2008-Honda-REMIX.html - broken link)

We will probably buy a used pick up truck for hauling.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:04 PM

64 posts, read 115,284 times
One of my favorite online resources for retirement prep info (specifically financial) is the InvestTalk radio show and blog. Steve Peasley is very no nonsense and the way he presents information I find down to earth and easy to understand. Here's a link: Investtalk

Old 08-25-2013, 05:39 AM

7,099 posts, read 24,500,052 times
Someone read an old post of mine to this topic, so I was interested to see how things have changed for me in those five years.

If I were to give advice NOW, things would be a little different. First....that new house. I have to use a walker now and the halls and doorways are toooooo narrow. I can't even turn it around in one bath. I would also get a house without stairs. One step is enough to handle.

Then, the car. We have a van type and groceries etc. are much easier to load and unload from the back. My husband is now 85, and that sort of thing is very important. We had to get rid of mine, because it was sooooo low to the ground, that getting in and out of it was bad.

I never dreamed of spending all my time in front of a computer, but we were lucky to design our house with a good size nook than holds two computers and all the junk that goes along with it. I don't know what we would do without this space.

While it's great to be able to plan for all the things that you will be able to do once you retire, you need to plan for that time when Mother Nature takes over and changes your life. She's a b-tch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or