U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 11:20 PM

6 posts, read 86,424 times

Advertisements

Laura,

I called Calpers as they are agency regulating my city employment Blue Cross PPO policy per city contract. I was told I could keep BC if I move to another state, but the premium would go up close to $100; that each city or county negotiates yearly, which I knew; however, there would not be an HMO available if I wanted it. I don't, but none to be had anyway. I had a long conversation with Calpers and they were very helpful. So I'm pleased that the option is there if I want it, but not pleased at the increase.

If my former employee negotiates for a different policy or holder, retirees will adapt accordingly I suppose.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Mesq
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 08:26 AM

93 posts, read 148,972 times
Default Blue Cross of California

Last year I retired from my Gov. job in Northern Ca. The wife and I were moving out of state to Georgia. We had to drop our Kaiser HMO plan and go with Blue Cross of California PPO plan, it was the only plan that I could take to Georgia. Well we have used it two times here in Georgia and they did paid both times. So far it has worked for us.

planefolks

Old 05-29-2008, 10:36 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,050,963 times
I think with any plan, you have to look carefully at what the limits are. The plan I have may not be the same plan you have even if they are with the same company and have the same name. It adds to the confusion for us.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:30 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times
You need to check with the insurance or the company that your insurance is thru. Even witrhin blue croass there are so many variablesd because of what the policy staes which usually is based most times on how much it cost;frankly.Then it can dependon the standard full coverage;PPO etc.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,403 times
Default transfering Blue Cross Blue to another state

I have retired and have a great Garenteeded issue Blue Cross Blue Shield policy in PA we are moving to SC. My wife and I both have existing conditions. When I called SC to convert they told me the only conversion was idividual policies on both my wife and myself and each would have a $5000 deductable and the cost would be $800 more a month than i am paying now. I have check the state pools and Fed. program. The state pool is unbelievable expensive and the the Fed. has a six month waiting period with no insurance. Anyone have any advice. I have already sold my house and bought a new one in SC and am moving in a month.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:39 PM

2,593 posts, read 5,289,910 times
Re-establish an address in PA and keep your existing insurance. Maybe travel back and forth for predictable treatments. Very likely Blue Cross covers emergency care while travelling (however, ask). Hope the Supreme Court does't invalidate and wait for 2014.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:31 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,479,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesq View Post
Laura,

I called Calpers as they are agency regulating my city employment Blue Cross PPO policy per city contract.
I was told I could keep BC if I move to another state, but the premium would go up close to $100; that each city or county negotiates yearly, which I knew; however, there would not be an HMO available if I wanted it. I don't, but none to be had anyway. I had a long conversation with Calpers and they were very helpful. So I'm pleased that the option is there if I want it, but not pleased at the increase.

If my former employee negotiates for a different policy or holder, retirees will adapt accordingly I suppose.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Mesq
Exactly. Had you said "CalPERS" up front I could have answered you. We're covered under CalPERS due to our state retirements and Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield covers my wife totally and provides my Medicare supplement here in Missouri. We simply use a PPO BC/BS provider network, with which we're well pleased, and Anthem takes care of the rest along with MEDCO for our prescriptions so I have no need for Medicare Part D. It's been a seamless transition.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:57 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,906,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Yovanovic View Post
I have retired and have a great Garenteeded issue Blue Cross Blue Shield policy in PA we are moving to SC. My wife and I both have existing conditions. When I called SC to convert they told me the only conversion was idividual policies on both my wife and myself and each would have a $5000 deductable and the cost would be $800 more a month than i am paying now. I have check the state pools and Fed. program. The state pool is unbelievable expensive and the the Fed. has a six month waiting period with no insurance. Anyone have any advice. I have already sold my house and bought a new one in SC and am moving in a month.
You might try asking in the SC forum. If you are not old enough for medicare then what type of policy do you have in PA if it is not individual?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement