U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 11:49 PM

739 posts, read 1,881,533 times

Advertisements

Cheapest Places in America. I guess that sums it up.

I've already owned 5 really cool houses so that phase is out of my system. I'd like to travel but I don't want to give up my stuff or put everything in a storage unit for an expensive, slow deterioration.

I'm looking to buy a place that's so inexpensive that I can think of it more as a storage space than a home while i enjoy my retirement traveling...a storage space that I can also sleep in for a few weeks at a time when I'm not traveling.

But where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 04:01 AM

3,750 posts, read 9,597,800 times
Retire Early Lifestyle This couple is doing what you have asked about. They got a very small condo (so someone else takes care of the outside), I think in Arizona so they are close to an airport. They may have a lot of additional info for you about the traveling retirement lifestyle. There are others but this is my favorite.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:10 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,798,899 times
I had read that McAlester, OK is one of the least expensive places to live in the country.

McAlester, OK (Oklahoma) Houses, Apartments, Cars, Mortgage Status, and Residents Info

Old 05-27-2008, 05:59 AM

30,669 posts, read 49,416,421 times
Around here some townships have low property taxes, we have been paying $47/year. We have a farm, I paid $900/acre when I bought it in 2005. Across the road my SIL bought 100+ acres at $300/acre. [I paid the higher price as my land has riverfrontage, which also accounts for my higher taxes]. We are 7 miles to the freeway [nearest local shopping]; 20 miles to a city with a huge teaching hospital / international airport [and all of the big box stores].

And I have seen 2bdrm homes sell for $40k.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:15 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,047,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Around here some townships have low property taxes, we have been paying $47/year. We have a farm, I paid $900/acre when I bought it in 2005. Across the road my SIL bought 100+ acres at $300/acre. [I paid the higher price as my land has riverfrontage, which also accounts for my higher taxes]. We are 7 miles to the freeway [nearest local shopping]; 20 miles to a city with a huge teaching hospital / international airport [and all of the big box stores].

And I have seen 2bdrm homes sell for $40k.
What about your fuel costs in this highly inflationary period we are in?

Old 05-27-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
True.

Two falls ago I went out and stocked up on local peat, along with construction waste; and we used that for heating.

Last summer I loaded ten drums with wood chips from local yards where folks cut tree-length logs down to stove length. We burned woodchips all winter.

I already have spotted another big pile of woodchips, that I may go load-up on, here soon. I may have next winter's heating fuel already collected and stored before June.

I post on 'Freecycle' about every week, offering to give away dead trees. I have a lot of blow-downs and logs. I let most anyone come in; to cut it up and haul it away. A few neighbors of mine [that are posters on CD] have harvested wood from my land. I tend to avoid chainsaws. They do cost fuel money to operate.

You have a good point though, if a person is not careful, winter heating just might cost you some cash.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,527 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
my plans, (and current activities)
heat-
firewood,
passive solar,
fryer oil

transportation-and electric generation
bio-diesel or WVO (Waste veggie oil)
waste fryer grease (Mexican and Asian food joints are best sources)
veggie oil or Jatropha or algae for bio-diesel feedstock

I have a friend in Sierras in CA who runs his waste grease genset for 4 hrs / night and turns the elect meter backwards (seperate meter) getting $70/mo refund from the utility. While the genset is running the radiator water is heating his floors in house. There are some very attractive "buy-back" programs for renewable Elect. In WA were have a great program, as soon as we can buy ALL components from WA. We can get ~ 4x the price we pay if we sell back! (pay off is still quite long on solar, especially with 285 days of clouds...)

I get 50 mpg in my grease burner cars; VW Rabbits (as I have since 1976) Look around, your neighbor might have one in his briar patch. I've found several that way, some I've got for free, others I've had to pay from $35 to $100 for. I get my tires at the junk yard for $5.00, they are usually 'like-new'. I'm running one set on it's 5th yr! (these cars are light and SLOW, so go a long ways on tires) Most of my cars have 300,000 miles, but they will last me for my short life. I've never been stranded in one and parts are CHEAP.

If I build another house it will be very small, passive solar, probably "rammed earth" or similar (but not in 100" rainfall area ) I will incorporate "annualized solar gain", storing summer heat for winter use + a greenhouse is a must for my retirement abode.

We got 3" of hail this weekend, no garden or berries this year

Old 05-27-2008, 12:15 PM

I own and/or manage 150 acres of forest; so I do have ready access to a lot of firewood. Though we have so much stuff to burn that we really just have not gotten down to any of the trees yet.

I collect WVO once a week at the local chinese restaurant; we use it mostly for vehicle fuel and mosquito abatement spray. I have soaked woodchips in WVO, it does increase the Btu output of the woodchips a great deal.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:28 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,572,170 times
Janb, would a 67 VW Bug run on fryer grease? We are recycling our old bug and have just about completed a pan off restoration with a new rebuilt engine. How does one convert the engine to fryer grease? Our next project with a vw might be to convert to electric. Your little rabbit sounds intersting.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Janb, would a 67 VW Bug run on fryer grease? We are recycling our old bug and have just about completed a pan off restoration with a new rebuilt engine. How does one convert the engine to fryer grease? Our next project with a vw might be to convert to electric. Your little rabbit sounds intersting.
Any diesel engine will burn WVO they will burn biodiesel also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement