U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Stimulation in retirement, financial support children, life insurance, pensions, going back to school, hobbies and outdoor activities, early retirement, non-profit organization volunteer work

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 02:45 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,021,758 times

Advertisements

There is never the enough time or a great desire to really De-junk;I have found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 02:48 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,600,746 times
I just turned 50 and will be able to retire soon (but I am a little nervous about it --- shouldn't I keep working and make more money?). I have done some of this but would like to do more:

Take Art History, History and Language courses then travel to those places. You could also go from a food and wine angle. I took one cooking class in the "Ecole" which is really the basement under the Ritz Hotel in Paris..then went to the champagne region in a little mini-bus and made some good friends (still email a couple of them) etc. You could also study a subject or famous person and then do the walking tours to see the actual places. I've done a Hemingway Paris Tour and the Oscar Wilde and Jack-The-Ripper Tours in London for example...also it's very exciting to see a painting or sculpture you have studied..I also saw Operas in Vienna and Stockholm I had 'researched' and listened to on CDs.

But you could also do a lot of this closer to home - I would be very interested to visit the battlefields my g-grandfather saw as a member of the Alabama 22nd.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:34 PM

Doesn;t appeal to me but that is why we are all different realy.Get on with it. persoanly I want to trvel in this country and revisit places I want to have more time in.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:22 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,059,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
But I am really surprised at the degree of change in my areas of interests, yet I'm glad 'retirement' avails opportunity to try so many options. I will have to grow-up and decide what I want to be !

Seems I have PCADD (post career attention deficit disorder..)
LOL. I'm afraid I'll be like that - all the choices in the world and still get too scattered to really delve into things. I had that problem trying to decide what to major in during college too.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:53 PM

It really is the same as picking a major in college because you don't have to make money at it.So don't worry. I do how ever have a friend who spends part of the year traveling in a motorhome and attending craft shows and make pretty good money. He really does it for the travel and he like it.When he isn't on the road he makes the crafts which he also likes.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,670 posts, read 40,039,994 times
great retirement stimulation speaker on the radio today...tho a bit too much like work...
Tamara Erickson Tamara Erickson :: TammyErickson.com :: Talent, Innovation, and The Intelligent Economy
author of
Workforce Crisis: How to Beat the Coming Shortage of Skills and Talent
and
RETIRE-RETIREMENT.COM

The main emphasis was 30+ yrs in retirement may mean you should consider some potential flexible jobs, and more importantly - employers better get their act together as they are neglecting talented, trained, and committed staff; If..??? when??? economy gets moving, there is going to be a significant shortfall of professional grade employees.

Fortunately, the speaker / author did recognize that older workers would prefer to be 'project' assigned with significant time off, rather than just showing up everyday. (at least that is what I prefer, tho not for all )

Lots of discussion about going back to teaching all levels (I have several friends who have taken this route) and it is a great way to learn AND influence lives. (I am very grateful for the older workers that mentored me through my apprenticeships and tasks that were over-my-head)

RE: travel and earning... some RV'ers are parking the motorhomes and climbing in the cab of a Kenworth. (Pete or Volvo or Freightliner). Most companies are too demanding of your time, but smaller local outfits and LTL's have desirable routes and schedules. I have a couple friends with their own rigs and they take only the jobs they want, and can make money on. (You need to have a way to make your truck payments of you do this ! ) Hiring a good truckdriver is not easy, but it can be a fun and interesting job. I did it during college and especially liked the part about getting home, and parking it; then "NO WORRIES to take home!!!". That was much different than my career of engineering, toolmaking, and international procurement. I keep my CDL license and DOT health card current, as well as my engineering credentials... just in case.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:11 PM

39,582 posts, read 47,825,261 times
Interestingly, I've been retired for 9 years and I find 'stimulation' through Viagara, and 'motivation' by being involved in many projects that take up more time than I have, which is good as it keeps me busy and never bored..
Proper usage of words makes a big difference.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:16 PM

Which does words help with the simualtion problem or the projects? LOL

Old 06-03-2008, 03:30 PM

2,317 posts, read 4,641,408 times
You find plenty of projects to do,I also noticed interest in certain things change too,but I keep busy,and enjoy life and thank God everyday I made
It to this point...

Old 09-12-2008, 10:50 AM

152 posts, read 574,331 times
Interesting how retirement changes people - for the better. I plan to retire in 4 months. I am still working at 65+ and, to be honest, used to like what I am doing. The economy now a days is changing the work place so much that I am looking forward to "let it go". I am very happy to see so many good ideas on this forum. I hope other people log in and add comments.

Good work guys? ... and gals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or