U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 10:38 AM

39 posts, read 158,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This presumes the person is interested in visiting cities and not seeing the country. I don't think AMTRAK even goes into my state.
What? When did you guys sell Memphis?

To whom?

I wanted it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 10:46 AM

39 posts, read 158,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post

I am looking into the 12v Coolers for an 'onboard refrig' ...
Beware leaving those running while you are not driving.
They will drain a battery very quickly.

I have one, and I find a regular ice chest more practical.
Save the electric one for emergencies when the ice runs out.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:19 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times
Use to be that people did the same thing as Rvers but camped. Long travels are getting to be very expensive how days.But that takes a truck and your looking at maybe 100.00 day just for gas less food or anything else.Guess it was nice to enjoy cheap travel while it lasted.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:43 AM

8,080 posts, read 13,460,711 times
I think I am more interested in picking some spots I have always wanted to see & experience or have passed through but would like to see more of
Examples (vermont, texas, alaska, great lakes,Washington State, a working dude ranch )
Then fly, travel light and stay as long as we want to.
That means all we really need are furnished houses/condos/rooms
that are affordable. Of course taking the truck would allow us to
see more and fish/eat/ect along the way. Maybe the journey
would be greater than the destination!!

The solution is probably a combination of both.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,558 posts, read 39,944,045 times
those areas are pretty spread out.
I would use Craigslist with "Wanted - Guest house or Furnished apart to rent for a month - flexible schedule"
offer references and a substantial deposit to seal the deal (with a good contract to get your deposit back, or... pay rent in the rear and apply deposit.)

I stayed in a really nice cabin in AK, and there should be plenty available there with boats and all, especially 'off season' (July / Aug). Many residents have extra cabins they rent out in remote areas. Our lessor took us fishing several times. (for free / gas money) When we left they felt we didn't have enough fish, so they filled up a couple more coolers! On the way to the floatplane we found a river where you had to walk on the fish to get across, we had a few more hours of frantic 'catch and release'

I will look for you in Portland, OR area, as it is a really handy PNW location with a nice EZ airport (Mt St Helens, Rainier, Hood, Adams, the scenic OR coast, sandy WA beach, Columbia gorge, Willamette valley, all within 1.5 hr, & Seattle a $25 train ride away(3hr)) Summers are great + lots of free concerts and gardens, fall is nice (sometimes...). Rental cars are cheaper in WA (5 min from airport) due to high county rental car tax, near airport. But priceline should help you find the best deal on that.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:42 PM

12,439 posts, read 31,504,859 times
How about couch surfing??

Old 06-03-2008, 07:35 PM

59 posts, read 197,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I would love ideas about how to travel around and stay for months
in different locations but not go by RV and not stay in Hotels/Motels.
Has anyone done this in retirement?? I am thinking along the lines of
flying or driving to locations I want to see and finding monthy rentals on
furnished spaces . It would be great if there was a trusted company that
offered places like this everywhere, like KOA is to campers.
have stayed in allot of KOAs, I have always found them to be nice and clean. A nice place to stop for the night after a hard days drive..

Old 06-03-2008, 08:04 PM

4,739 posts, read 7,558,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Yeah ,, you’re right LauraC ~ Amtrak misses a great deal of the country, however it’ll get you to and from major cities. And you’d have to rent a car from there to move on into other areas where the train doesn’t go. I always thought about taking the train across Canada from east to west and enjoying the major stops at some of those cities. The US is a little different.
One bad thing about trains though is when they break down which is pretty often, when a train does break down you are not allowed to disboard, "insurance purposes" and its company policy across the country. You are trapped inside untill they send another train and it can reach 140 degrees during the summer months. Buses and Airlines have a much better track record. It does sound cool until you actually do it as we found out, motor blew and waited 3 1/2 hours for one to arrive during the summer, only two old people had heart attacks so I guess it could be worse according to Amtrack. I do still take a dinner train out of NC thats fun but after looking into how bad train travel in the US is I never knew.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:20 AM

8,080 posts, read 13,460,711 times
I am loving the posts!! Reading and learning!!!
Thanks.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:30 AM

10,425 posts, read 44,646,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
I prefer to do the same thing, ...it's much easier to do in Europe and South America

I've been storing my RV near airports since I have to fly home one week / month... enjoying some sun this last winter in the SW. Found $40/ month storage and $40 one way flights, can't buy much gas for that amount. (even tho the RV gets 20 mpg)

"

There is no such thing as an RV that gets 20 MPG. Not even the most economical gas engine put out this year in a B class. And towing a TT no matter how small, whatever the tow vehicle you are using can not get 20 MPG either. The best I could find was 16 MPG which is the manufactures estimate and we all know how far off that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or