U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,526 posts, read 39,903,732 times

Advertisements

There are actually good volunteer and some paid jobs to allow you to skip park to park. (NP or SP). A few offer housing, but usually at least an RV spot.

or... you can work for Xanterra (NP concessioner). I talked with workers in Death Valley who were on their way to Zion or The Tetons for the summer. In Big Bend NP I met some 'volunteers' who spend the summer in Grand Canyon and winter in NPs in the south. They seem pretty happy, sold their MI home and bought a very inexpensive, used class C (under $5,000). It can tow their Saturn, so they left the furniture with their kids and the NP's are now 'home' ! They especially liked the special outdoor educational training they get as NP volunteers, and they were very FIT ! They can use the NP site Medical Clinics for nominal fees.

Actually... I was thinking that IF the gov had their acts together... there would be a CCC program to more productively utilize the 'early retiree talent'. I so enjoy utilizing the lodges, bridges, shelters, camps built be the CCC or WPA. Instead I now run onto numerous parks and campgrounds that are getting closed down due to maint costs... (and all this 'free labor'...)

I'm running up to visit Timberline and Paradise Lodges before the record snowfall melts. These places are a great way to relax and enjoy someone's labors of 70 - 90 yrs ago.
Timberline Lodge - Explore The Lodge (http://www.timberlinelodge.com/lodging/explore_the_lodge.php - broken link)
Welcome to Mt. Rainier National Park (http://rainier.guestservices.com/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 09:28 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,453,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
There are actually good volunteer and some paid jobs to allow you to skip park to park. (NP or SP). A few offer housing, but usually at least an RV spot.

or... you can work for Xanterra (NP concessioner). I talked with workers in Death Valley who were on their way to Zion or The Tetons for the summer. In Big Bend NP I met some 'volunteers' who spend the summer in Grand Canyon and winter in NPs in the south. They seem pretty happy, sold their MI home and bought a very inexpensive, used class C (under $5,000). It can tow their Saturn, so they left the furniture with their kids and the NP's are now 'home' ! They especially liked the special outdoor educational training they get as NP volunteers, and they were very FIT ! They can use the NP site Medical Clinics for nominal fees.

Actually... I was thinking that IF the gov had their acts together... there would be a CCC program to more productively utilize the 'early retiree talent'. I so enjoy utilizing the lodges, bridges, shelters, camps built be the CCC or WPA. Instead I now run onto numerous parks and campgrounds that are getting closed down due to maint costs... (and all this 'free labor'...)

I'm running up to visit Timberline and Paradise Lodges before the record snowfall melts. These places are a great way to relax and enjoy someone's labors of 70 - 90 yrs ago.
Timberline Lodge - Explore The Lodge (http://www.timberlinelodge.com/lodging/explore_the_lodge.php - broken link)
Welcome to Mt. Rainier National Park (http://rainier.guestservices.com/ - broken link)

That is very interesting about the volunteer positions....
I agree that their are many retiree's that have alot to offer
and it would benefit them and whatever they were working on.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:05 AM

1 posts, read 867 times
My friend was looking some info about it and when I've read something here in this forum I knew that it would give way for my friend to work on. I was also thinking of how to travel without RV. Thumbs up and thank you for the infos again. You can check out some info about moving to other countries in this site: moving2london.com

Old 08-23-2009, 05:56 PM

169 posts, read 412,504 times
This Thread has some wonderful ideas about this subject.....Oh! The lure of a Hobo's life!

Old 08-27-2009, 12:04 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,644,174 times
I have heard of this group but do not personally know anyone who has tried them:
Elderhostel: Educational Travel and Learning Vacations for Adults from Alaska to Italy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or