U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 08:04 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,453,725 times

Advertisements

I would love ideas about how to travel around and stay for months
in different locations but not go by RV and not stay in Hotels/Motels.
Has anyone done this in retirement?? I am thinking along the lines of
flying or driving to locations I want to see and finding monthy rentals on
furnished spaces . It would be great if there was a trusted company that
offered places like this everywhere, like KOA is to campers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 10:28 PM

30,320 posts, read 27,776,619 times
You might want to google “extended stay” hotel/motel for lodging. There are many many websites with information about their hotel/motel etc.to pick from.

I’d use AMTRACK to get from city to city and rent a car to get around within the city if needed.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,527 posts, read 39,903,732 times
I prefer to do the same thing, ...it's much easier to do in Europe and South America

yes, you think it would be a great racket for the extended stay places that have seasonal vacancies. But $100 / night for a rm...??

You might look into different guest home directories, I think they are more for short stays, tho some have separate qtrs. Most are $15 to $20 / night.
Maybe there is a 'craigslist' for renting Mother-in-law qtrs.

I've been storing my RV near airports since I have to fly home one week / month... enjoying some sun this last winter in the SW. Found $40/ month storage and $40 one way flights, can't buy much gas for that amount. (even tho the RV gets 20 mpg)

I have also been getting 'priceline' cars for pretty cheap. I have one in Colorado next week for $16/day, maybe cheaper than owning one ! I'll throw in a tent and bag, and enjoy some stars (I hope, tho it has been raining in WY and CO)

Been thinking about hitching a sheepherder's wagon behind the Kubota and hitting the road with a sign "will work for fuel, or veggie oil"

Old 06-02-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
Been thinking about hitching a sheepherder's wagon behind the Kubota and hitting the road with a sign "will work for fuel, or veggie oil"

great tips!!
Remember the movie about the guy who went cross country on his John Deere Riding Lawn Mower??

I am going to have trouble sleeping because I am going to be trying to figure out how your RV gets 20 MPG and my little Highlander gets the
same MPG. You must be driving south so it is downhill the whole way

Old 06-03-2008, 01:33 AM

yes, I live on north side of the map, so everywhere I go is 'downhill', at least on the map (and I don't like going home... BAD case of wanderlust)

My RV is a small "C" VW, VR6 Rialta Heaven - Home (QD version, rides 8, sleeps 4, enough room for me FSC, Shower (In and out), roof AC, Genset, ...) I drive 60mph to get 20 mpg, but it will go 80 and get 16 mpg These things are really nice, but you need to add a transmission cooler (the weak link). I may buy a 5cyl version and convert it to diesel(Canadian), but they only get 30 mpg, so not really worth the trouble.

I prefer to use guest home directories and travel in my '96 or '97 TDI Passat... 52 MPG + 25 gal tank. = 1000 mi + range. My spouse is not impressed with the time between 'fuel / restroom stops'. These vehicles are GOLD and sell for ALOT... I looked at one with 550,000 miles for $5000 !! I only paid $1700 for my last one, I'm looking for a GLX wagon to convert to TDI. (GLX= GAS = lower mileage vehicle, all the diesels have ~ 200k +)

I'm working on making a 75 mpg Scirocco, and eventually 125mpg with an EV boost
not quite like this, but similar EV Pusher Trailer

I like to drive, but flying is pretty nice to fit more time into special destinations. (and is currently VERY cheap... temporarily...). Next yr, after college is over (again...). I will buy a used "Thousand Trails" campground 'Platinum' membership ~ $1500 one time + $500 / yr, BUT ---> 365 NO-CHARGE nights / yr <--- at ~ 80 campgrounds in NICE locations (no more than 21 days in a row per site). Unfortunately they are generally west coast, and east coast, with little in between. I like the mountain states too ! I will use guest homes for that. Stayed last week at one with RV hookups for free... it was so nice and the people were great. Helped with their house painting and gardening... Often they are located on farms, and I go at harvest to help out. It's been a long time since I had to get up at 4:30AM for milking, so it is nice on RARE occasion. (and by choice)

Good luck, and let me know what you find. (especially around Knox, as it's one of the 3 spots I plan to land) This could be a 'business opportunity' as the RV crowd is searching for options.
Many campgrounds are adding YURTS and cabins, but from what I've seen they are as spendy as a motel, and much more than a guest home. here is one site, tho I'm not a member of this one Bed & Breakfast Homestays Bed and Breakfast Homestays France BnB Homestays England

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-03-2008 at 01:57 AM..

Old 06-03-2008, 05:54 AM

Jan B...very useful info.
Question...how did you find the guest house? Is there a list anywhere??
I was already thinking about the "business opportunity" .
People want to travel and have affordable ,furnished, extended stay
options.
You could do a package that includes unlimited stays .
I'll let you have my "million dollar" idea if you let me have
lifetime free stays .

Old 06-03-2008, 07:18 AM

34,667 posts, read 33,667,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’d use AMTRACK to get from city to city and rent a car to get around within the city if needed.
This presumes the person is interested in visiting cities and not seeing the country. I don't think AMTRAK even goes into my state.

I knew someone who, when he retired, drove from Long Island, NY to Alaska and back. He and his wife went with a pick-up with a cap (I think that's what it's called, it had a little door in the back) and towing a small boat with a motor and with a canoe on the roof. When they weren't driving, they fished for their dinner or went to a local store and cooked outdoors. They also had some kind of screened thing so they could eat without bugs and pulled into campgrounds when they could or slept in the back of the truck off some rural road. Once a week, they checked into a motel. They dove up through the northern US and went into Canada in Manitoba. On the way home, they drove through the Pacific Northwestern states (with a stop over to visit a son) and back across to NY from the middle or southern part of the country (I can't remember which) so they would see something different from their drive to Alaska. If I remember correctly, they left in May or June and returned in September.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This presumes the person is interested in visiting cities and not seeing the country. I don't think AMTRAK even goes into my state.

I knew someone who, when he retired, drove from Long Island, NY to Alaska and back. He and his wife went with a pick-up with a cap (I think that's what it's called, it had a little door in the back) and towing a small boat with a motor and with a canoe on the roof. When they weren't driving, they fished for their dinner or went to a local store and cooked outdoors. They also had some kind of screened thing so they could eat without bugs and pulled into campgrounds when they could or slept in the back of the truck off some rural road. Once a week, they checked into a motel. They dove up through the northern US and went into Canada in Manitoba. On the way home, they drove through the Pacific Northwestern states (with a stop over to visit a son) and back across to NY from the middle or southern part of the country (I can't remember which) so they would see something different from their drive to Alaska. If I remember correctly, they left in May or June and returned in September.
That sounds like a neat way to see the country!!
Did they do all that between May and Sept or did you mean more than one year??
One thing we have considered is taking a boat cross country on the Mississippi.
(There is a website that I will find if I can of a couple that did that)
Then we could take the inland waterways down the east coast.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:19 AM

30,320 posts, read 27,776,619 times
Yeah ,, youíre right LauraC ~ Amtrak misses a great deal of the country, however itíll get you to and from major cities. And youíd have to rent a car from there to move on into other areas where the train doesnít go. I always thought about taking the train across Canada from east to west and enjoying the major stops at some of those cities. The US is a little different.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:22 AM

I spend a lot of time in libraries on rainy days when 'on the road', and get all freshened up and thinned down at the local public pool. Sometimes I drop by a shower in a public campground during the day if I can't find a pool. Its those LONG nights in the winter that drag on...I've been known to hang around hotel lobbies for a few hours, and often do writing or reading in the lobbies and libraries of resorts.

I am looking into the 12v Coolers for an 'onboard refrig' and I will probably install the water heater my RV has into my 50 mpg traveling car, It heats from engine coolant, and is very nice to pour a 'cup-o-soup', tea, cocoa... once you have driven for 10 minutes. A small tank and pump for an outdoor shower would be nice too.

guest homes, - (I haven't used these)
Bed & Breakfast Homestays Bed and Breakfast Homestays France BnB Homestays England as per last message link
or
The Affordable Travel Club

I'll PM you with a couple directories I use

Bring your boat out west and do the Columbia River too!! I've thought a house boat would be fun, but this river is a bit wild for that. It would be best to 'put-in' at highest point with a lock... with fuel prices and all... Boats should be getting pretty cheap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or