U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 01:18 PM

2,317 posts, read 4,638,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
It's about a 6 hour flight, we schedule at room at the Atlantis. My husband will check in early get a shower and check his emails and such. I don't get in until late in the evening so he can lay back and relax in the air conditioned room. He is so much looking forward to that. I will be taking my camara to the property and will get pictures to post of little piece of desert.

that sounds great,looking forward to seeing the pictures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 02:18 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,992,638 times
Stressing pretty bad today, we sold our house here in Alaska still trying to satisfy the City with the septic leach field. The new owners were pretty much a pain when it came to location of the field but that is now settled but found out that it will increase the bill at the end, I put money in an escrow account for the project can only hope it's enough.

Our banker called on the new place, because we bought the property throu a tax sell have difficulty getting a title company to insure it until I've owned it for 5 years, we've had it for 3 years now. Did find a company in winnemucca that will insure it but have to get the loan officer and the title company together. Seems when it rains it pours, but I do fly out Wednesday and looking forward to that.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:34 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,506,963 times
Stressing pretty bad today, we sold our house here in Alaska still trying to satisfy the City with the septic leach field.

I don't think I have ever heard of that, tressa. Is that like a cess-pool , I wonder ? Here , we have sewers & I never even thought of not having them, but I guess that most places are not so fortunate.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-27-2008, 05:30 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,048,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Stressing pretty bad today, we sold our house here in Alaska still trying to satisfy the City with the septic leach field.

I don't think I have ever heard of that, tressa. Is that like a cess-pool , I wonder ? Here , we have sewers & I never even thought of not having them, but I guess that most places are not so fortunate.
All those houses in the country don't have sewer systems. they have wells and septic systems. Septic systems pipe the waste water to a septic tank (big concrete tank buried in the ground) where it is decomposed by bacteria, then the nasty soup is piped to the leach field where deep trenches of gravel and earth filter and purify it. The earth needs to be able to percolate water or it won't work. There are other set ups for problem soils, but the above is the most common type of septic system. I have one and I hope when I sell my house it goes ok. Never gave me any problem, but I'm careful not to kill the bacteria in the tank.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:11 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,469,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
All those houses in the country don't have sewer systems. they have wells and septic systems. Septic systems pipe the waste water to a septic tank (big concrete tank buried in the ground) where it is decomposed by bacteria, then the nasty soup is piped to the leach field where deep trenches of gravel and earth filter and purify it. The earth needs to be able to percolate water or it won't work. There are other set ups for problem soils, but the above is the most common type of septic system. I have one and I hope when I sell my house it goes ok. Never gave me any problem, but I'm careful not to kill the bacteria in the tank.
I'm on septic too. I get it pumped every other even year (heavy clay soil here) and the septic guy told me to never put those septic additives in there and instead just flush a packet of dry yeast once a month to keep those little bacteria guys in the tank happy

Old 07-09-2008, 11:39 AM

2,317 posts, read 4,638,474 times
Hello out there Tressa,hope the moves going O.k...any pictures to go with the adventure?

Old 07-09-2008, 05:13 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,506,963 times
I like your quote from the bottom of your page, coartist . Is that your own?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-09-2008, 10:18 PM

Hi all, the trip went very well. I'm back in Alaska now and looking forward to us taking our motorhome out and hanging there for a few more weeks. The foundation is done and signed off the home is suppose to be delivered next week but wont be complete until sometime in August.

We ordered up our furniture and that too will be delivered in August, very much exciting stuff going on here. I will try and post some pictures once I figure out how, although will be mostly pictures of the bug dust.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:27 PM

690 posts, read 2,444,488 times
Oh..there u are! Glad things are moving right along for you!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:45 PM

Things are going very well, the husband is finishing up with the ground work. The home is coming in on the 24th and hope to be finalized by the time we get out there in the middle of August.

I decided to take the company's offer and work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off and they will pay for my airfare back and forth to Alaska and they are talking about me keeping the current benefits, how can you turn that down?

Anyways all is good in our little world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement