U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:23 AM

1,195 posts, read 4,993,872 times

Advertisements

The husband left Monday noonish headed to our new location as snow birds wrong time of year I know but we have to work the ground. From Alaska to Nevada.

He is traveling alone in a camper, I will continue to work until we ship the motor home out in late July. He reports that it's a lonely drive as will take a minimum of a week to get there driving 10-12 hours a day.

The prices of fuel in Canada is high he's paid upward of $7.00 a gallon with the conversion, but his mileage is way better than I projected. My projections was diesel at $6.50 gallon and 8 miles to the gallon, but the diesel is running $7.00 a gallon and he is getting 11-14 miles per gallon. Once he picks up our 22 foot car hauler in Seattle that will go way down to my original projections.

While he is in cellular service he calls nightly but last night he was out of range (sad), I made numerous meals for him so when he stops he can climb in the camper warm up a meal, turn on his laptop and watch a DVD and wind down of course with a glass of good ole Jack Daniels.

I expect him to hit the US border early Friday or late Thursday, he has to pick up the trailer on the 9th so he will have a few days to hang with some friends and un-wind give him a taste of retirement that he deserves.

Spoke with our sales lady on our home and he needs to be onsite of our property the 16th to visit with the land man for the foundation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 04:29 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,514,371 times
Best of luck on your brand new adventure ; this will be a whole new chapter for your life.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-05-2008, 05:57 PM

2,317 posts, read 4,639,390 times
Excellent,very happy for you guy's...the best to you..

Old 06-05-2008, 09:10 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,035,871 times
How exciting for you and your husband! You've got a lot ahead of you before you can settle into retirement, and that's good. It will make the transition a bit easier. I hope your husband continues to have a safe and easy drive to Nevada, and I wish both of you much happiness in building and then moving into your new home!

Old 06-06-2008, 04:04 PM

You guys are the best, I'm glad I found this forum to share our stories with.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:17 PM

Spoke to him last night, the night before he was out of range. He planned on spending the night in hotel/motel. He stopped in Quensil found a little place checked in, went to the room and back down the desk and checked out, I guess it was quite the little dive and if he won't sleep or shower in it it must be BAD. Anyways he spent the night in a Wal-Mart parking lot, so I officially told him he is now retired. He has 400 miles to go to pick up the trailer so he thought he might do that in 2 days and take some time to enjoy life a little slower. He can't pick up the trailer until Monday so he can afford to take some time to smell the roses.

He says the bugs are real bad right now in Canada but we didn't expect it any differently as we've traveled the highway several times. Between the bugs and the two birds the met his grill he could use a good rain storm to clean things off.

He was able to see 4 black bear, 1 moose and 1 white tailed deer. As far as the moose goes we've had them live in our back yard for the past 16 years, had a momma and babies come and bed down, they knew we didn't have any dogs to threaten them so they felt safe.

Anyways just a brief update on his travels, he is in real good spirits even though he is traveling alone. He did say that he would even let me drive about now if I was with him and I scare the sh*t out of him when I drive, so scary company is better than no company, hahahaha

Old 06-06-2008, 04:40 PM

2,317 posts, read 4,639,390 times
It only gets better! That's quite an adventure he is on!

Old 06-06-2008, 06:19 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,514,371 times
What fun . A brand new life! Where on earth is Quensil ? It almost sounds like a village in Oaxaca or something.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-06-2008, 07:40 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,051,697 times
Thanks so much for keeping us posted on yours and his new adventures. for those of us anticipating retirement and moves, it is interesting and helpful to hear how others handle it and react to it.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:31 PM

Quensil is in British Columbia Canada. He was going to plan a two day trip for his last 400 miles in Canada but once he started driving he didn't stop until he hit the US border. He is now in a nice clean Travel Lodge taking in a shower, hot slice of pizza and couple of Jack Daniels all is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement