Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 02:25 AM

3,852 posts, read 12,834,402 times

Advertisements

simple move out to the country where homes are cheap. Sure you will scrape by but you won't have to work to supplement your income. You will adjust your lifestyle to your income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 02:28 AM

559 posts, read 2,111,054 times
Well said, Beekeeper, well said.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:46 AM

37,249 posts, read 60,994,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
I think too often we judge another person's ability to do one thing or another based solely on our own experiences and expectations. Case in point is Forest Beekeeper. He chooses to live a simple, but full rich life on a small income. I would imagine he and his family want for nothing.
Good point.

Quote:
... (As gemkeeper, I must ask, does any one call you "gym sneaker" or "gamekeeper" as I am, forest beekeeper?)
Hmm, I dont know. I chose to live in a forest. I like keeping bees, I have bees.

We are learning about what kinds of things we can do in a forest, beneath the canopy.

This past week, my SIL was visiting. Knowing our past experiences with apartment buildings, she wanted to go out looking at what properties are on the market in our closest city. WOW!

3 unit to 5 unit residences in the city and surrounding a state university can be picked up for $125k. Amazing! this is a great market! Right now!

She very nearly has me convinced to go and buy two or three properties. Now my wife is doing more legwork with the realtors to get more of the details, before we decide if we want to go back into that. I rather like the lifestyle that we have been going for, but with such opportunities fairly local to make so much, hmmm.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:19 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,230,236 times
Forest Beekeeper,

Can I ask if your extremely low taxes ($47 yr) have anything to do with being a veteran or disabled or because it is farm land? They seem so low. The person I had mentioned as living on $18,000 a yr has an exemption as a veteran and his run approx $3900 a yr in rural upstate NY for a 70's 4 Br on a wooded acre which is even low for here. You're in Maine, right?

Old 06-11-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Forest Beekeeper,

Can I ask if your extremely low taxes ($47 yr) have anything to do with being a veteran
No.

Quote:
... or disabled
No.

Quote:
... or because it is farm land? They seem so low.
Almost.

It is 'forest'. Technically "Treegrowth tax status". It is a tax status program with the state. It locks in the assessed value of each acre: $100 to $200 per acre [depending on what type of trees are growing there].

I am allowed to ignore it and let it continue to grow forest. Or I can grow Christmas trees, or firewood trees, or lumber, or evergreens for harvesting 'tips' for wreaths.

And with each of these I can run goats and sheep in underneath the canopy. And we are growing ginseng and mushrooms.

'Treegrowth tax status' is a serious savings to have the land assessed at these values. If they used market values then land in this area would be assessed at $300 to $900 per acre obviously.

Quote:
... The person I had mentioned as living on $18,000 a yr has an exemption as a veteran and his run approx $3900 a yr in rural upstate NY for a 70's 4 Br on a wooded acre which is even low for here. You're in Maine, right?
I have heard that NY is more expensive.

Here to get a vet reduction requires 100% disability.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:34 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,230,236 times
Thanks

Old 06-11-2008, 11:25 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,260,526 times
I don't know anything about retirement but we lived (2 adults 4 kids at the time) on less than $16,000 one year. You'd be surprised what you can do when you have to.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:47 AM

746 posts, read 3,491,416 times
I am retired and live on Social Security of $1199 month. I live in a house that is fully paid for, in a community that has excellent services and low taxes, and good senior citizen services. I gave up a car, and its expenses, and use the bus to get most places.

I write theater reviews and get free tickets in return, and utilize the local farmers market in season. I do get some fuel assistance, but not qualify for food stamps or welfare.

I pay Medicare premiums like everyone else, and the co-pays that medical care generates. I have the advantage of also being in Massachusetts which is a pretty good state for seniors, and get some additional help on my Medicare B prescription costs.

The cost of oil worries me, as does the rapidly rising cost of food at the supermarket. I rarely eat out, but I cook better than most restaurants.

Life is not luxurious, but it is far from dull and boring. I moved here half a dozen years ago because of the great value for the dollar this community represents, and have made many friends in the area.

Life is good, even on basic social security.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:35 PM

559 posts, read 2,111,054 times
Smile Question, Beekeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
No.

No.

Almost.

It is 'forest'. Technically "Treegrowth tax status". It is a tax status program with the state. It locks in the assessed value of each acre: $100 to $200 per acre [depending on what type of trees are growing there].

I am allowed to ignore it and let it continue to grow forest. Or I can grow Christmas trees, or firewood trees, or lumber, or evergreens for harvesting 'tips' for wreaths.

And with each of these I can run goats and sheep in underneath the canopy. And we are growing ginseng and mushrooms.

'Treegrowth tax status' is a serious savings to have the land assessed at these values. If they used market values then land in this area would be assessed at $300 to $900 per acre obviously.

I have heard that NY is more expensive.

Here to get a vet reduction requires 100% disability.
How does one start a tree farm? I grew up in SC and plan to move back there (in the next year or two). How much land does one need to start a tree farm? I am currently researching what kind of tree farm I want (Christmas trees, lumber, etc.). Do you know what kind of tree farm yields the most profit (long term versus short term)? Any advice you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcopperkettles View Post
How does one start a tree farm? I grew up in SC and plan to move back there (in the next year or two). How much land does one need to start a tree farm? I am currently researching what kind of tree farm I want (Christmas trees, lumber, etc.). Do you know what kind of tree farm yields the most profit (long term versus short term)? Any advice you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Starting a tree farm? In this area, anyone with over 10 acres of forest files a form with the state. Every so many years a certified forester must review it and develop a 'plan' for the owner.

Most of Maine is rural, and most of it is forested. So we have a lot of land that is already 'treegrowth' and enjoying much lower taxes.

There are many options, and each person looks at a forest through different eyes. What is more highly valued to one person is different from another person.

The vast majority of Maine Forest is rather wild, nothing is being planted. Owners just wait to see what the forest desires to grow, and if it will have any demand.

Check out the 'Maine' sub-forum on CD, you may find a few folks with 'Treegrowth' land, and a few woodlot owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement