U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2013, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Prescott Valley,az summer/east valley Az winter
2,042 posts, read 3,627,979 times
Reputation: 7884

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
According to the gubmint, and the pay increases we've been getting . . . there isn't any, or very little inflation since 2008.
Since 2008 the 2008 COLA was 5.8 Cola 2009 and 2010 was 0 the 2011 was 3.6 2012 was 1.7 and for 2013 will be 1.5. that is enough to push the $1100/month up to over 1340/month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2015, 03:13 PM
 
Location: State of Grace
1,582 posts, read 1,137,722 times
Reputation: 2614
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
For most people retiring on $12,000 per yr. is just not going to happen. That is the point. Put yourself in the Governments position, you owe the taxpayers trillions of dollars you have already spent and it will break your budget to even attempt to pay. What is the answer? You engineer an economy which makes it impossible to retire, and then you ladder out Social Security so that it always looks like retirement is only a few more years ahead. You dangle the carrot in front of everyone’s face until they finally keel over, (still working) and never do get to collect any Social Security. Problem solved.
That was the intention from the get-go. Everyone was supposed to be dead by age 65.

You might be surprised by how many (both young and old) people are opting out of ownership and are living in their converted cars, vans, and/or RVs, and the number is growing daily. About half of them work, doing something they love, for approximately half of the year, and they save what they make and then take the other half of the year to just enjoy life - simply, of course.

My lifestyle dictates that I spend most of my life in our tour bus (it's really an RV) anyway, but in my younger years, I could more easily set up a home in a tent and move it quickly on demand when necessary. I still love tenting, but only in the summer, and not while working. Age takes its toll on us all, I'm afraid, and I need the tour bus to keep up my stamina and safeguard what's left of my health.

I never once thought of retiring. What would I do? Why ever would I give up playing and singing (as long as the LORD spares my voice?) I couldn't stop writing if I tried and the same is true of photography. I love my life and wouldn't *want* to do nothing. I don't believe I know how.

I suppose we all work at a few jobs that wouldn't be our first choice somewhere along the way, and I did my share of that until, at age 18, I could support myself with my music. I think that's the key to a happy and productive life - doing what you love and loving what you do. Frankly, the idea of stopping that while still breathing is rather shocking to me at this point, in my 60th year, praise GOD!

For most of my life I didn't 'sell' my work; I mostly gave it away, in the sense that the funds from it went to outreach programs, and that's always been just fine with me. It's cool hearing kids from China and the rest of Asia singing songs that I wrote forty years ago.

At this stage of the game, DH and I have to keep a little money to finance being constantly on the road, but as long as I feel I'm helping, I'm not too worried about it. I'll probably go with my boots on (metaphorically speaking), and why not?

Blessings to all,


Mahrie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2015, 03:39 AM
 
Location: Cochise County, AZ
1,318 posts, read 834,822 times
Reputation: 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Well, maybe not four to a trailer, but maybe two? If someone is alone, it's really hard to retire. I think "communes" will be coming back, out of necessity for so many people - think of how there are more single people now, and so many divorces. And, costs keep rising, but income does not. And, then it REALLY goes down when you retire!
In my search to find affordable, I did come across a few "communes" in that they were listed as "general rentals". They had separate bedrooms and bathrooms but the kitchen and living areas were shared. These were in listings for seniors, and the prices were not cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2015, 06:33 PM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,319,071 times
Reputation: 5175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
That was the intention from the get-go. Everyone was supposed to be dead by age 65.

You might be surprised by how many (both young and old) people are opting out of ownership and are living in their converted cars, vans, and/or RVs, and the number is growing daily. About half of them work, doing something they love, for approximately half of the year, and they save what they make and then take the other half of the year to just enjoy life - simply, of course.

My lifestyle dictates that I spend most of my life in our tour bus (it's really an RV) anyway, but in my younger years, I could more easily set up a home in a tent and move it quickly on demand when necessary. I still love tenting, but only in the summer, and not while working. Age takes its toll on us all, I'm afraid, and I need the tour bus to keep up my stamina and safeguard what's left of my health.

I never once thought of retiring. What would I do? Why ever would I give up playing and singing (as long as the LORD spares my voice?) I couldn't stop writing if I tried and the same is true of photography. I love my life and wouldn't *want* to do nothing. I don't believe I know how.

I suppose we all work at a few jobs that wouldn't be our first choice somewhere along the way, and I did my share of that until, at age 18, I could support myself with my music. I think that's the key to a happy and productive life - doing what you love and loving what you do. Frankly, the idea of stopping that while still breathing is rather shocking to me at this point, in my 60th year, praise GOD!

For most of my life I didn't 'sell' my work; I mostly gave it away, in the sense that the funds from it went to outreach programs, and that's always been just fine with me. It's cool hearing kids from China and the rest of Asia singing songs that I wrote forty years ago.

At this stage of the game, DH and I have to keep a little money to finance being constantly on the road, but as long as I feel I'm helping, I'm not too worried about it. I'll probably go with my boots on (metaphorically speaking), and why not?

Blessings to all,


Mahrie.
You have been blessed with talents..that's great.
Most of us unfortunately are not that lucky, and must scramble to find a job based on pay regardless of how much we hate it.

We have to prostitute ourselves because we exist in a job market where our employers know that there are a hundred applications on file for your job, so if you attempt to stand up for what you deserve, they will simply put you on the street as an example to everyone else.

For the vast majority of people, doing what they want is a pipe dream, instead they do what they have to in order to support their family and to try to give their children a better chance at happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2015, 07:02 AM
 
Location: On the road
5,942 posts, read 2,893,129 times
Reputation: 11381
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
We have to prostitute ourselves because we exist in a job market where our employers know that there are a hundred applications on file for your job, so if you attempt to stand up for what you deserve, they will simply put you on the street as an example to everyone else.
This is an overly dramatic blanket statement.

The last company I worked for constantly struggled to fill some positions. They paid pretty well and as far as I know nobody was put on the street for standing up for themselves.

There are good places to work and bad places to work, not having some singing talent doesn't automatically shuffle one off to the latter category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2015, 03:07 PM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,319,071 times
Reputation: 5175
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This is an overly dramatic blanket statement.

The last company I worked for constantly struggled to fill some positions. They paid pretty well and as far as I know nobody was put on the street for standing up for themselves.

There are good places to work and bad places to work, not having some singing talent doesn't automatically shuffle one off to the latter category.
It is nice to know your personal situation is now standard setting president for everyone. I supposed you think the 100 million people in the US out of work, do not want to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2015, 03:34 PM
 
Location: On the road
5,942 posts, read 2,893,129 times
Reputation: 11381
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
It is nice to know your personal situation is now standard setting president for everyone.
You mean precedent? Either way no, I never made any claim to represent everyone... you did when you said "we" must prostitute ourselves and get thrown out to the street if we stand up for ourselves.

My response clearly says "there are good jobs and there are bad jobs" and that is what I'll stand by, without engaging your strawman about how many people are out of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top