U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Southern Oregon: rising sea levels, no hot, humid summers, lots of natural beauty, somewhat liberal

Old 06-11-2008, 05:07 PM

142 posts, read 489,741 times

Advertisements

Although I am only 30, I have been thinking a lot about where I want to retire. We might buy land now while it is "affordable" by future standards. We have to live near DC until this time because of DH's job and I hate it here so I also need a place to fantasize about while I'm stuck here on the East Coast:-)

I had narrowed in on southern Oregon--Ashland--but now I've started thinking about the potential problems with the rising sea levels. I know a lot of it is hyped-up but still...I could live for another 70 years. It may be a huge problem by then. So this eliminates the coasts...now where?

Does anyone know of a place that is at a high elevation and does NOT have hot, humid summers? Colorado? Somewhere with a lot of natural beauty...near a small city/large town...somewhat liberal. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 07:53 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times
Waht makes you thnik that of thing get that high owning land will mean anyhting.It will enfocing that ownership that maybe the concern. If you want to buy land buy it for investment thinking you will retire there but don't count on it.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:10 PM

7,316 posts, read 15,368,793 times
What do rising sea levels have to do with Ashland? It's something like 2,000' above sea level - if Ashland gets flooded, the rest of so-called "dry land' is in real trouble.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,652 posts, read 40,020,325 times
I was thinking the same s thing pre-30, ~ 25 yrs ago - you are not alone...

Keep the dreams alive, but also do some planning and take some action.

If you buy anything, make sure it cash flows for a rental in the meantime, (unlikely this will be a residential property or bare land) thus.. I recommend using the current and probably lower future values for next 2 - 7 yrs... to get a foot into some beneficially priced investment real estate, which may not be where you will end up, but if its in a desirable area, it will escalate similar to other desirable areas. In the future when you KNOW where you will be, then you can "trade" or... if it is paid off and paying you handsomely by then you will have the cash flow to refinance it to buy your 'dream', or it will be paying enough to fund your dream in perpetuity. (better yet! ) I prefer commercial properties to residential, but some folks do multi family. I would stick with commercial office / medical / retail / light industrial properties. They may be cheaper than you think, and offer 7-12% annual returns + when bought at the right price, the potential for equity escalation equal or greater than 10%. You arrange your rents so the tenants pay triple net NNN which includes taxes, insurance and utilities, thus if those increase ... your tenant absorbs that extra expense. + you are only renting a shell, and tenants do improvements and repairs !! You can buy your commercial props in areas you like to gain the 'write-off' of long term checking it out... but I don't recommend this, as whatever you buy you HAVE to be able to sell, so buy ONLY income property that make LONGTERM sense, and that you can sell when / if needed. (I recommend stuff near major cities and on freeways or in vibrant commercial districts that have a solid future consider this step one... funding your dream.

Step 2 and beyond is FINDING your dream. You may be surprised how your tastes and needs will change, so be flexible, but keep a list / journal to see that you don't lose focus. If you have definite spots go check them out during their worst season.

For your tastes, cool, high, liberal, decent sized... You have many choices, in the mountain states and left coast. You will really need to make a comprehensive list, then research, then make contacts to validate research, THEN... visit.

Consider Santa Fe,NM, Durango, Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction, Steamboat, CO, Prescott or Flagstaff, AZ, Lake Tahoe, Park City, UT. Jackson Wy (you didn't say how much you could spend...) Bozeman, Kalispell, Missoula, (more liberal) MT . Moscow, Sandpoint, Coeur d'Alene, ID, Bend, OR (liberal now, not in past...) + Ashland + a hundred other places west of Cascades or Sierras. I would NOT worry too much about the sea levels unless you are thinking Bangladesh (now THAT is hot and humid). But we do have earthquakes and volcanoes and such out west. DO as much traveling as you can and enjoy some of these spots, you might change your mind about living in them. I have found there are few "Deals" on real estate in highly desirable areas
1) usually sold before it hits the market
2) some people are willing to pay a premium to live there
3) there are adequate buyers who THINK they want to live there to keep prices high (Usually they are the ones who buy, then pay a property management company 30% to rent the joint 10% of the time (and risk trashing it), then not even making enough to cover expenses, much less the HUGE cost of capital sitting vacant midweek, along with 80% of the other 'vacation' homes.

Once you settle on a place do some serious networking, as you won't find the special deals and nice stuff listed with a realtor, as mentioned it gets bought by friends, neighbors, the ultra wealthy... long before a sign goes up (those are usually to get you to call so they can sell you something else.) I think things are gonna look a lot different in 20 more years, and not just the ocean level...

Btw... I'm 1200 ft above the Columbia River, but am forced to buy Flood insurance.... so someone is expecting a rise in water level. My agent will be 1000' under when I make my claim.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-12-2008 at 12:34 AM..

Old 06-12-2008, 03:06 PM

142 posts, read 489,741 times
Wow thanks Janb for the helpful advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or