U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2008, 05:56 PM

11 posts, read 26,836 times

Advertisements

I have been exploring some locations in Kentucky and Ohio, and considering southern Indiana. One - the Bowling Green area (25 mile radius - also Glasgow and Edmonton); the Danville area (25 mile radius - Harrodsburg to Hustonville, etc); and west of Cincinnati (Hillsboro to Athens). I would consider southern Indiana as well (proximity to Louisville). I have been on a trip to see the Kentucky and Ohio areas - and am looking for a small farm (7 to 24 acres) for retirement between $90,000 and $150,000 up). I have seen a number of farms on the internet as well and read all applicable threads here. I grew up in Cincinnati many years ago and want to get back to the simpler areas and friendlier people from the West Coast. Property is just too expensive out here. Pros and cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 09:26 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,011,591 times
You can definitely find something in your price range in the areas you listed. These are all nice, safe, friendly areas. The only thing really negative about here is the winter weather. If cold, gray, dreary days don't bother you come ahead.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:19 PM

11 posts, read 26,836 times
Thanks - I remember my Cincy weather - but we seemed to have a lot of sunny but freezing days as well.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:13 AM

30,679 posts, read 49,437,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCork View Post
... Property is just too expensive out here. Pros and cons?
I hear you.

All I can see is that you need to just keep looking.

It took me a really long time to find our farm.

But land does exist under $1k/acre, in area with low taxes; just keep looking.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:16 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,886,109 times
I did a lot of traveling around that area a couple of years ago and was seriously considering moving to Evansville, IN. I liked the area around there a lot. Out in the country but easy travel to several big cities.
It struck me as a really friendly place with interesting things going on when I'd stop overnight there.
Decided I liked Knoxville a lot better.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:53 PM

Wherever you decide on settling, once there you are pretty much stuck on that local level of taxation.

I have property in a city where my annual property taxes are over $3,500/year, on 1/4 acre.

And then I own a farm where property taxes run $1.05/acre per year. It is a huge difference.

When your retired, that level of taxation reflects the cost-of-living for everything.

An expensive area will be expensive for everything.

A cheap area will be inexpensive for everything.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:38 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,283,166 times
I love southern IN. I live right on the OH/IN border. I ride my Honda Helix all over there. I lived in CA years ago and it was expensive and I didn't feel the people were very friendly. My friend still lives in Norco, CA and came back to visit and was so shocked that people said "Hi" and opened doors for her at the mall.
My neighbors moved here two years ago from Irvine and sold at the perfect time. They got twice the house and five acres for half of what their's sold for...what a deal.
The winters are not that bad. If we get tired of it we go to FL for a few weeks.
The Brown County area is beautiful just below Indianapolis and the Madison area by the river has wonderful historic homes. Lots of wonderful parks all over.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:16 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,386,385 times
Is the small farm idea just a concept for a "retirement" place to live?

Or, are you thinking about a serious "hobby farm" small business where the income is not essential to your retirement living but only to your "lifestyle"?

Or, a larger commercial operation for income?

Either way, farming is not a simple proposition ... nor an inexpensive one. And it can be very time consumptive, too, if you're going to be productive.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Is the small farm idea just a concept for a "retirement" place to live?

Or, are you thinking about a serious "hobby farm" small business where the income is not essential to your retirement living but only to your "lifestyle"?

Or, a larger commercial operation for income?

Either way, farming is not a simple proposition ... nor an inexpensive one. And it can be very time consumptive, too, if you're going to be productive.
I am a vendor at an organic Farmer's Market. I sell eggs, greens, soaps, and beansprouts.

Most of the other vendors at my FM are doing it as their sole source of income. None of them are greater than 10 acres. Most are between 1 and 4 acres. Two or three greenhouses, and the rest in pasture and woods for free-ranging livestock. Generally they employ between two and eight full-time employees.

I know of three farms that each have four panel vans, each van goes out five days a week to different FMs in the state. Each van will market 1/2 tonne of produce each day. Each of those three farms are under 10 acres. They each support between six and eight employees.

We have chickens, goats and hogs. This spring we have just built our first greenhouse. So far we have about $80 invested in our greenhouse.

Among the vendors that I rub shoulders with; the most expensive farm set-up is the goat cheese producers. Their milking parlors and cheese processing labs are state-of-the-art. About $8k will completely setup such a dairy operation. And will employ four people fulltime. Basically two people tending goats, milking goats, tending the milk, culturing the cheeses and packaging the cheese; and two people taking cheese to the FMs each day and sitting at market. At the end of each day everyone is included doing cleanup.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:04 PM

2,372 posts, read 7,761,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I love southern IN. I live right on the OH/IN border. I ride my Honda Helix all over there. I lived in CA years ago and it was expensive and I didn't feel the people were very friendly. My friend still lives in Norco, CA and came back to visit and was so shocked that people said "Hi" and opened doors for her at the mall.
My neighbors moved here two years ago from Irvine and sold at the perfect time. They got twice the house and five acres for half of what their's sold for...what a deal.
The winters are not that bad. If we get tired of it we go to FL for a few weeks.
The Brown County area is beautiful just below Indianapolis and the Madison area by the river has wonderful historic homes. Lots of wonderful parks all over.
Hey driftwood, I was on a visit to KY and OH in early May. I liked areas around Dayton + Xenia, which aren't too far from your area. I'm hoping to escape from apartment living in southern Cal in a couple of years. I'm a bicycle rider, and the roads in that part of OH (in town and countryside) looked pretty good for pedaling around. A scooter like yours would be another good way to get around too. Real estate prices look like they will be weak for the next couple of years, which will work out fine for me. I will probably make another few trips to the area and figure out where to rent first and avoid the mistake of buying in a new area before spending a bit of time there first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or