U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:16 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,572,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
People who dissapear because you've lost it all, are not your friends. I'm 45, got Alzheimers at 44, some friends dissapeared. No loss to me. I just move on from them. I may not have lost financially but people in general are people. We don't have everything in life we'd like. My brain is dying, your money is gone. You can always start over. You don't give up. You can own another home. You don't know what God has in store for you! Don't lose the faith. I will not give up for you. It will be okay. Just surround yourself w/ people who are positive people. You don't need to be around negative people who would hold you back anyway. They did you a favor and you can be friends w/ people who would like you for just you!
So very sorry to hear this. I hope they find a cure for this soon. God bless you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 11:21 AM

Ok. Our butts hit the concrete twice and we had to start life over at 40, and then when our daughter became ill, again at 45. We took some risks and thankfully they paid off. What else can we do but keep on working? If you can't work then hopefully there is a safety net/program for you.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:26 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,127,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
When I went from working to applying for disability...I lost 90% of my friends. All.
No, you found out who your real friends are.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:54 AM

7,338 posts, read 16,632,543 times
First, my wife is an Accountant by career and handles all of our finances/paying our bills. We moved twice, from one State to another, with no jobs or place to live lined up and she completely took care of us financially until jobs came along (less than 4 months). I was very surprised that she done it, but then again, she knows about money/finance/accounting.
Now, on the other hand, I had a friend that retired from a County job in Calif. One month before she retired, the County she worked for went bankrupt. She didn't get a dime of retirement money and her/her husband wound up moving to another State and starting over. They are now doing ok.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
First, my wife is an Accountant by career and handles all of our finances/paying our bills. We moved twice, from one State to another, with no jobs or place to live lined up and she completely took care of us financially until jobs came along (less than 4 months). I was very surprised that she done it, but then again, she knows about money/finance/accounting.
Now, on the other hand, I had a friend that retired from a County job in Calif. One month before she retired, the County she worked for went bankrupt. She didn't get a dime of retirement money and her/her husband wound up moving to another State and starting over. They are now doing ok.
Now that is scary. Poor souls. Keeping fingers crossed for them. There really should be a law to protect employees who work for government/state/county agencies.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:13 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,270,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My husband and I are going through the most stressful time in our lives. While we helped our parents financially, do kids do that today? I think our son would but I don't know about our daughter.

Our son is 19, works 2 jobs and goes to school. He is a good kid. Our daughter lives in NYC on her own.

If we had not had to care for my mom, we would be in a good financial place.

It is a sad thing to say about your daughter, true or not. I hope you are wrong, and I wish you folks well.

My mom and dad both went through very difficult times, medically. To shorten things up, that lasted about twelve years, and ate up literally all of my savings, and more. It took me several years to get myself out of debt. It was extremely stressful both financially and emotionally.

I would change nothing. It was my duty and my honor to take care of the two people who spent their entire lives caring for and loving me. As stubborn as my mom was!!!!

And for goodness sakes, do most of us get a degenerative brain disease at 44 years of age, like Prinny? I agree with Prinny, you have no idea what's around the corner, and all the planning in the world won't stop it. Life can change in a heartbeat, good or bad.

OK, my friend is Greek. There's some kind of saying in Greek which I am sure I'm going to mangle here. It says something like if you can count the number of true friends you will have throughout your life on one hand, you are lucky if you have three fingers left. Oh, I hope that makes sense, but if you have two true friends throughout your entire life - count yourself lucky.

Katie1, to quote Bideshi, you didn't lose a single friend. You got the gift of finding out who your true friends were.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:50 PM

12,432 posts, read 31,476,724 times
I does pay to be a bit of a loner.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:17 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,880,155 times
No;it pays to have real friends.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:46 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,023,768 times
Well, I don't have kids, so that doesn't work. I guess if I lost everything at the age of 65 (5 years before retirement), I'd have at least social security and a small pension, plus a little bit I'm saving.

So, I could maybe live in a retirement community. We tried to get my mother into one (but she won't leave the house she's lived in for 50 years), and they base the rent on income. My sister-in-law's mother lives there and doesn't pay very much.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:43 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,965,925 times
Default If you were to lose everything 5 years before retirement....

It would sure make moving a lot easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or