U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 07:42 PM

5 posts, read 13,598 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Florida but will some day leave Florida and would love to live on a house boat if I can afford it. I'm on Social Security Disability and that is my sole income. I would like to know about house boat communities and where is best to live on a house boat. I know I couldn't afford to take my house boat out of the water every time there is bad weather pending. I would very much appreciate any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 05:39 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,903,439 times
Check out Goose pond in Scottsboro, AL. There are quite a few folks who are retired and live on their house boats there. I saw several for sale fairly reasonable. They get together and cook out in the evening. Most are single, but there are a few married folks

Old 06-21-2008, 09:08 AM

5 posts, read 13,598 times
Default Goose Pond

Thank you. I looked it up online but didn't find any information on house boats. However, I was able to e-mail someone and hope they can give me some information. Well, maybe not. I just received an e-mail that "the following address failed."
Linda

Old 06-22-2008, 04:43 PM

Just to be clear these are actual boats not houses build over water like they are in Seattle.

If you are interested I think I can find some info for you. You would have to rent a space for the boat at the marina. I know there were several houseboats for sale the last time I was there but they might be by owner.
Goose Pond Colony Marina & Water Activities (http://www.goosepond.org/marina.htm - broken link)

You might try calling them
GOOSE POND COLONY 256-259-3027

Scottsboro, AL 35768
29.4MI from Huntsville

Old 06-22-2008, 05:04 PM

5 posts, read 10,497 times
Hi Linda:
Your thread caught my attention as:

#1) I have always played with the thought of living on a houseboat -- I spent many months over a 2 year period pretty much camped out on an ex-boyfriend's 32ft "cabin cruiser" and loved every minute of it. (Cramped yes ... but that's besides the point as far as this topic is concerned )

#2) I am currently starting the wheels turning to figure out where I wish to relocate to (this could take another year or two, I am in no rush yet however do want to get out of this stinkin' subdivision)

#3 I, too, am not rolling in the $$ so financial considerations do come into play.

I look forward to the information this thread provides. BTW, Scottsboro looks like a place I just might put on the list of possibilities!

Good luck in your search.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:36 PM

My friend had a 40-45 ft house boat I believe. He moved it to Sodden Daisy in TN. You might check into that area especially if you live in TN. You are right it is a bit cramped and you really have to be organized. I checked the prices and they really weren't bad for living at the marina in Scottsboro if you consider you don't really don't have a lot of expenses for yard work and the like.

I would ask him, but he no longer communicates with me since we stopped dating.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:00 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,886,109 times
Actually, that's Soddy-Daisy, TN. I think you're feelings are affecting your spelling
Northern Alabama is a beautiful area with some wonderful lakes. It's not at all what you would expect when you think of Alabama.
Hot in the summer, though.
There are lots of lakes in East Tennessee where you can live on a houseboat or boat. Some people live at Marinas in Downtown Knoxville, Nashville and Chattanooga.
Do some google searches on Dale Hollow Lake, Watauga Lake, Norris etc. Dale Hollow is particularly beautiful.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:05 PM

2,372 posts, read 7,761,282 times
Just north east of Dale Hollow Lake is Cumberland Lake (KY). I saw a lot of houseboats there, and even a huge houseboat factory not far from Somerset KY, near Monticello ("houseboat capital of the world" says a local sign). Also many houseboats further downstream on the Cumberland near "LBL" Land between the Lakes, and over on Kentucky Lake side of LBL too (on the lower Tennessee River).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or