Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:49 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastequila View Post
Jeez, now I feel like I'm lame for clicking on this thread. The first one I tried was on retirement books. Similarly there, someone wrote quite a lengthy post that those books aren't for the average retiree, blah, blah, blah. I have maybe 20 different ones, and would love to discuss, but I didn't post. Then, here, general consensus is that the trend toward delayed retirement is practically a taboo topic. IMHO, this is not a static situation as the economy changes, more people are staying vital and connected, etc. Is there going to be a talent shortage? Will the gen x'ers be anxious to get rid of the boomers? Many interesting trends that are in flux here. At 65 I'm researching retirement with a target of about 7-8 years. I think the people here are a great resource for information gathering. I'd guess there are retirees, pre-retirees, long-term planners, and general gawkers. Maybe I'm weird, but I find it a fascinating subject. Just sayin....
BTW, I'm jealous if you're getting a Trader Joes. Mine is an airline ride away.
I'm with you. Delayed retirement or working after official retirement is a hot topic these days. In the "Retirement" general forum there are some rather trivial threads (one or two that I started myself ) that keep coming to the top, which I could happily do without. I'd rather read posts on timely topics directly related to retiremtn. The thing is, there are a number of retiree posters here who are "all set," comfortably retired, and they jump in and say so to the point of creating a dominant viewpoint that retirees are in fine shape and anyone who's not is to blame. That's the pattern, anyway. But new viewpoints are always welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You do now. But I'm only sixty-eight.
And now he knows two but I am a young-un at 64. I hope to work to at least 75 and in the same field I know a guy who is 84 and still working full time. He is my hero.

I could retire as soon as I qualify for medicare, that is one of the reasons I read the forum, and my wife and I would do just fine. I enjoy this time in my life, I have a good job earning decent money but if the job ended tomorrow my life would not be turned upside down. I don't consider myself a wage slave.

The less I need the job, I need it less with every passing month, the more fun it becomes.

Another reason I come here is social security and planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement