U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:07 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times

Advertisements

I'd just make sure were you look isn't in the middle of no where. Isn't to healthy growing old way out there as many have found out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 07:39 AM

30,671 posts, read 49,423,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I'd just make sure were you look isn't in the middle of no where. Isn't to healthy growing old way out there as many have found out.
Good point.

We are 7 miles from the freeway, then 12 miles to a city with two hospitals [one is a teachign hospital], international airport, lots of shopping, etc. All good roads

I have seen folks who live 30 miles down a gravel road, ick !

Old 07-10-2008, 08:24 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,023,912 times
However, the cheapest places are probably "way out there" - if I moved back to upstate NY, I'd need only HALF my income. Of course, the salaries are lower there, too, but I could retire there pretty easily with half my income from my job in Boston.

It's pretty depressing up there, though. I think I'll remain here and live with other people.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
However, the cheapest places are probably "way out there" - if I moved back to upstate NY, I'd need only HALF my income. Of course, the salaries are lower there, too, but I could retire there pretty easily with half my income from my job in Boston.

It's pretty depressing up there, though. I think I'll remain here and live with other people.
I agree that generally the more rural you go, the cheaper things are.

I do not think that I would wish to live where there was nobody else.

We have never lived in upstate NY. You say that you could live there and prosper on half of your current income. That is a start.

Do you know what 2bdrm homes on 10 acres start at there?

I have always heard that it was fairly expensive. though I could easily be wrong since I have never been down that way.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:35 AM

823 posts, read 3,373,852 times
Move from where we now live (Long Island, NY) to Albuquerque will save us 37% overall and 49% on housing. These figures appear to be pretty accurate.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:53 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,023,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I agree that generally the more rural you go, the cheaper things are.

I do not think that I would wish to live where there was nobody else.

We have never lived in upstate NY. You say that you could live there and prosper on half of your current income. That is a start.

Do you know what 2bdrm homes on 10 acres start at there?

I have always heard that it was fairly expensive. though I could easily be wrong since I have never been down that way.
I'm talking about unpopular, rural upstate NY, where towns are boarded up, like my town, Jordan. It's 20 miles from Syracuse. I don't know the housing prices, except my mother's house on one acre (a 1958 ranch house) is worth about $60K. They don't even have a gas station - only churches, grocery store, post office.

If you went to a nicer place, say on one of the Finger Lakes, it would be more expensive. But, that defeats the purpose of trying to find a cheap place. If you want cheap - you have to go to someplace that's not so attractive, I guess.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I'm talking about unpopular, rural upstate NY, where towns are boarded up, like my town, Jordan. It's 20 miles from Syracuse. I don't know the housing prices, except my mother's house on one acre (a 1958 ranch house) is worth about $60K. They don't even have a gas station - only churches, grocery store, post office.

If you went to a nicer place, say on one of the Finger Lakes, it would be more expensive. But, that defeats the purpose of trying to find a cheap place. If you want cheap - you have to go to someplace that's not so attractive, I guess.
I am very fortunate, 20 miles puts us in a city.

You are correct IMHO, that the highly sought after locations do tend to be the more expensive locations.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:07 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,506,963 times

No, upper New York state is quite inexpensive. And, there are mountains , foothills and winding lanes. It is rural and it's beautiful for most of the year, but the winters......... those are the places that you hear about that have eleven FOOT snowdrifts. Not for me.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-16-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

No, upper New York state is quite inexpensive. And, there are mountains , foothills and winding lanes. It is rural and it's beautiful for most of the year, but the winters......... those are the places that you hear about that have eleven FOOT snowdrifts. Not for me.

I had heard before that the winters South way do get severe, too bad.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:14 PM

34,669 posts, read 33,671,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Good point.

We are 7 miles from the freeway, then 12 miles to a city with two hospitals [one is a teachign hospital], international airport, lots of shopping, etc. All good roads

I have seen folks who live 30 miles down a gravel road, ick !
I've always wanted to know the answer to this question - Why do people want to live near teaching hospitals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or