U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:40 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,874,356 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a small house, too. Quite cozy--we couldn't get away with anything. Only problem as I recall was the demand on the bathroom when 3 kids and Dad tried to get ready in the morning. Mom, smart woman, slept in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 05:19 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,058,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I never heard of that "minimum square foot" requirement - that's insane. Who can tell you how big the place has to be? What's wrong with a small house next to a big house? That's the government going too far.
That is rarely a govt. requirement. Such a requirement would be levied with covenants which are imposed on properties by developers. What it really is is private enterprise run amok.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:16 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,025,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
That is rarely a govt. requirement. Such a requirement would be levied with covenants which are imposed on properties by developers. What it really is is private enterprise run amok.
Even worse, I guess. Of course, to me, developers are about the same as the government, since our government favors them over We The People.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:47 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,592,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Even worse, I guess. Of course, to me, developers are about the same as the government, since our government favors them over We The People.
I think most developers just want the most bang for the buck. I detest large homes, but we design some awesome ones for those that do love them and want to wander around lost in them. We love small space and do not feel the need to have lots of stuff any longer. We desire only a workshop/studio and a nice little 900 to 1,200 square foot home in the next 5 years. The minimum size requirements for most of the nicer lake side lots we found, want over 2,000 square feet. I am sure it is to keep the property values high. What can you do?

Old 07-11-2008, 01:25 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,890,681 times
I see housing adervtised for "empty nesters" here in Knoxville. Everything from sleek new lofts downtown to smaller, rehabbed historic houses and detached condos.
We have some very nice condo developments here, actually small houses but with maintenance and yardwork taken care of by someone else.
The old buildings being turned into condo lofts downtown are very popular with the post-kid set and retirees. Convenient to everything, no maintenance and spacious but not too big.
Seeing a lot of smaller, one story condos with attached garages being built. Small patios, screened porches, but 1200 to 1800 feet.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:49 PM

19,889 posts, read 18,900,996 times
I'm glad there are others who want a small, manageable place. They don't seem to exist here in Massachusetts. We don't want a big house with a big yard, we don't want to live in a condo building either. All they seem to build for seniors are luxury condos and, even if you like them, the $400,000 and UP prices plus fees and taxes are not acceptable.

We're always discussing the housing idea and have just about decided to look for a 55+ mobile home park -- maybe by the beach in NH. At least you get a little yard to plant your flowers and grow some tomatoes if you want to and you usually get a large screened in porch. Sometimes you get a community swimming pool. We don't want to leave New England.

I guess there's just a lot more $$$$$$$$$$$$ in building luxury condos than in building something seniors actually want.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:56 AM

13,325 posts, read 25,590,184 times
I was just up in Hollis, NH, and looking at real estate books. Plenty of smaller houses (older) and some fair number of nice mobiles on their own land. There are also some nice 55+ mobile home parks, but for me, that would mean no multiple rescue dogs, so... There seemed to be some nice stuff around Brookline/Milford (southern NH, easy access to highway and Mass.
Nashua also had some small ranches, but I don't know the neighborhoods up there.
I'd look for a lake area community (small cottages, small lake) or use realtor.com and look for small ranches or mobiles.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:50 AM

48,516 posts, read 84,010,700 times
There are plenty of lake front communties here in Texas that have small homes .Talking about housing;I have always noticed that in the old communtities there are alot of very large double story homes . My guiesss is that is because families were bigger than and of course it was common for two or more generations to live together. Especailly before social security. It seems that many smaller homes were built after WWII than in the years prior.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:35 PM

1,861 posts, read 3,025,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm glad there are others who want a small, manageable place. They don't seem to exist here in Massachusetts. We don't want a big house with a big yard, we don't want to live in a condo building either. All they seem to build for seniors are luxury condos and, even if you like them, the $400,000 and UP prices plus fees and taxes are not acceptable.

We're always discussing the housing idea and have just about decided to look for a 55+ mobile home park -- maybe by the beach in NH. At least you get a little yard to plant your flowers and grow some tomatoes if you want to and you usually get a large screened in porch. Sometimes you get a community swimming pool. We don't want to leave New England.

I guess there's just a lot more $$$$$$$$$$$$ in building luxury condos than in building something seniors actually want.
You'd think in this current market, they wouldn't build ANYTHING. They're just bringing down the values of the current houses, because they always seem to overbuild, and then watch the prices plummet. Stupidity.

I live in Salem, MA, and I have a condo in a Victorian house, and I like that alot - there are a lot outside Boston. They're not all "luxury" condos - I looked at both kinds and the Victorian was much nicer. They also have condos in the colonial houses in Salem.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:50 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,597,180 times
You could buy a larger home with a guest house -live in the guest house and rent out the main home for income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or