Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 02:16 PM

8,882 posts, read 20,254,083 times

Advertisements

Since we aren't ready to retire yet, but we would like to find a place to both move to and retire at. We are 59/60 years old and have to find somewhere to live and work full-time. We don't want any winter/snow at all, but do want "water" (be it lake or ocean or both) to put a Cabin Cruiser in (that we will be buying) and be able to meet some nice folks around our age and with interests that we have (boating/fishing, playing cards, just having some fun). Because of no winter and plenty of boating opportunities, we have been researching Jacksonville and Orlando, Florida. California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Georgia, Tenn., South Carolina are all out. Gee, we guess that just leaves Florida??!! We are currently in NC/Charlotte area, but don't want another winter here (mild, but still cold/some snow).
Suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 02:45 PM

329 posts, read 1,272,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Since we aren't ready to retire yet, but we would like to find a place to both move to and retire at. We are 59/60 years old and have to find somewhere to live and work full-time. We don't want any winter/snow at all, but do want "water" (be it lake or ocean or both) to put a Cabin Cruiser in (that we will be buying) and be able to meet some nice folks around our age and with interests that we have (boating/fishing, playing cards, just having some fun). Because of no winter and plenty of boating opportunities, we have been researching Jacksonville and Orlando, Florida. California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Georgia, Tenn., South Carolina are all out. Gee, we guess that just leaves Florida??!! We are currently in NC/Charlotte area, but don't want another winter here (mild, but still cold/some snow).
Suggestions???
I would give a serious look at the Jacksonville area from Amelia down to St. Augustine. I think this is the best part of Florida with lots of water, relatively hurricane safe and affordable. Good luck!!

Old 07-15-2008, 03:14 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,888,719 times
Time magazine has an interesting article in the July 21 edition about Florida, called "The Sunset State?" Is Florida the Sunset State? - TIME.

I don't know how accurate the reporting is, but it may be worth checking out before you make a final decision.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:50 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,196,799 times
Very interesting link. Thanks very much.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-15-2008, 04:53 PM

Well, I've never been to Florida, but we are flying into Orlando next month to go on a Cruise out of Port Canavaral and then when we return from the cruise, we will be at Port Canaveral for a couple of days. Perhaps with this, I will get a "little" feel about the Orlando area. North Carolina just doesn't appeal to us like we thought it would!
We understand that a lot of people our age either move completely to somewhere in Florida or have a second home there. We have also found out that my hip replacement and shoulder/rotor cup surgery that I had, will feel much better there due to no winter.
Wife's brother lives/works close to Miami and loves it (he is 57).

Old 07-15-2008, 05:08 PM

Good article, but a lot of the "ranting and raving" is about South Florida. Shoot, even the Charlotte area where we are isn't in that good of shape with gas prices, other costs and the Ecomony. Don't think Florida has a big part of that market.......most States right now share those problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Time magazine has an interesting article in the July 21 edition about Florida, called "The Sunset State?" Is Florida the Sunset State? - TIME.

I don't know how accurate the reporting is, but it may be worth checking out before you make a final decision.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:38 AM

Still wondering, looking and researching!

Old 07-17-2008, 12:25 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,111,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Still wondering, looking and researching!
Yes,very smart do your homework and research...what is good for one person may not be good for another.It took me 5 years before I retired to find a
place best suited for me and the family,It happened to be PA,...I have looked
at all these places arizonia,florida,NC..did not work for us,so you have to
find what will work for you.PA works for us because...easy commute to NYC
to see family..lower cost of living,better quality of life,lot's of activities in area
daughters college 30 minutes away...pension is only taxed federal,beautiful mountain
view from house,friendly people...

Old 07-17-2008, 01:08 PM

13,909 posts, read 39,089,894 times
Why not buy a nice houseboat..then where ever you dock thats home!

Old 07-18-2008, 08:54 AM

We want a boat for pleasure and fishing, not to live on. We love being on the water, but not that much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Why not buy a nice houseboat..then where ever you dock thats home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement