Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:27 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,782,941 times

Advertisements

I am close to retirement, and I am worn out, exhausted, stressed, lack energy and am just plain ready to leave the work force. I'm curious about those who have retired and how it feels for you. Has it been all that you hoped – better or worse? Have you made new friends? Have you started new hobbies, or taken classes that you wanted to take before but never had time to take before retiring? Did you relocate or have other changes that were better or worse? New excitement, or more relaxation?

My fantasy tells me that I will finally get a chance to stop and "smell the roses." Is it a fantasy, or is it a reality? I know each person is different, and I'd love to hear how retirement has been for you. Any feedback, advice, or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 01:10 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,302,762 times
I retired in the Spring of 2006 at the age of 56. I could have retired many years sooner, but I just felt that I was too young so I waited... I wish I had retired earlier!

Retirement is GREAT!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 01:34 PM

113 posts, read 496,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I am close to retirement, and I am worn out, exhausted, stressed, lack energy and am just plain ready to leave the work force. I'm curious about those who have retired and how it feels for you. Has it been all that you hoped – better or worse? Have you made new friends? Have you started new hobbies, or taken classes that you wanted to take before but never had time to take before retiring? Did you relocate or have other changes that were better or worse? New excitement, or more relaxation?

My fantasy tells me that I will finally get a chance to stop and "smell the roses." Is it a fantasy, or is it a reality? I know each person is different, and I'd love to hear how retirement has been for you. Any feedback, advice, or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!
Wisteria- Your caption is that you are a sun lover but you live in Monterey Bay area. I live here too......where is the sun? Unless maybe you live in Corral or Carmel Valley! As cat lover however you always will have sunshine.

We too are anxious for retirement but have a few years to go. Most likely will relocate to a less expensive state as we will need the house equity (if there is any left) to boost our retirement income.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:58 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,127,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post

You are going to love it!...first off God bless you and congrats,I just retired
nov.07 from 20 years in law enforcement,I know exactly how you feel,I didn't
know if I was going to make it my last year.To me,it is the next chapter of
your life that you earned to enjoy,I do not miss it at all because when your time comes,it comes,I have a home in PA which I had gotten to retire,coming
from NY, the reason for this better quality of life,lower cost of living,pension
friendly for me,have made new friends,have hobbies such as golf,winemaking
fishing,running,working out at gym,wine tasting at wineries,drawing,target shooting,video games,attending jazz concerts...the list goes on,you are going to love it and appreciate life and the simple things in life we all take for granted,you will have plenty of time to decide what you will be doing ,but not having to go to work and stress yourself...is priceless...you will be more relaxed
and look at things differently...best of luck..good health...and enjoy..it really is great!

Last edited by Retired Law 08; 08-09-2008 at 08:19 AM..

Old 08-08-2008, 02:23 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
Thanks everyone, so far!! I've been getting worried that maybe my imagination is running away from me about retirement! Once that rut gets bigger and bigger, it's hard to imagine climbing out of it!

Quote:
JAG_HRD: Wisteria- Your caption is that you are a sun lover but you live in Monterey Bay area. I live here too......where is the sun? Unless maybe you live in Corral or Carmel Valley! As cat lover however you always will have sunshine.

We too are anxious for retirement but have a few years to go. Most likely will relocate to a less expensive state as we will need the house equity (if there is any left) to boost our retirement income.
Actually, I live in Felton, just above Santa Cruz -- twenty-minutes to the beach. Because I'm 6 miles from Santa Cruz, and it's a higher elevation, we are above the fog here! I do have friends right in town and in Monterey who will call me and complain that it is cold and foggy there, and then say, "But I suppose it's sunny up there?" Yep, it is. Rarely do we get the summer fog. I also work in Felton, so I avoid the fog and only go to the beach when it's sunny, or want some cool breezes. But we do get the winter rains!

I, too, am looking to relocate because of cost -- my first choice, right now, is New Mexico -- see....lots of sun there! Having been raised in the overcast northeast, I grew to deeply appreciate sunshine!

Quote:
Coartist88: .... know exactly how you feel,I didn't know if I was going to make it my last year.... the list goes on,you are going to love it and appreciate life and the simple things in life we all take for granted,you will have plenty of time to decide what you will be doing ,but not having to go to work and stress yourself...is priceless...you will be more relaxed and look at things differently...best of luck..good health...and enjoy..it really is great!
Thank you, so much! -- I'm glad you know how I feel!

Quote:
Kooter: I wish I had retired earlier! Retirement is GREAT!!!
Thanks, and more, more, more feedback! This is encouraging -- and I need it so, right now. Thank you!! It seems there may be hope!!

Last edited by Wisteria; 08-08-2008 at 03:50 PM..

Old 08-08-2008, 03:09 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,127,599 times
Let the celebration begin!...

Nothing like it...you'll see...

Old 08-08-2008, 03:49 PM

I love the party!!!

Thanks, coartist88!! Yippee!! Of course....I'm still not retired....but I'm going to make sure I hire that DJ!!

Old 08-08-2008, 04:06 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,545,281 times
In my profession you never get to retire ! ( I am a 'housewife')

Old 08-08-2008, 07:11 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,873,960 times
I have been retired for two years now, and love every second of it. I now recommend retirement the minute you can afford too, and not a minute longer. All the stress is gone. I recently got off of sleeping pills for the first time in many years. Dumped all of my other meds too, as they are no longer necessary.
I was always in a rush before, now I'm the old guy that I used to complain about, getting in everyone else's way. It took a while to settle down, but I've never been happier or healthier.
I have taken classes at the local college, joined some clubs, sleep later than 5am now, sometimes take a quick nap in the afternoon if I feel like it..... It took many months to learn to sleep until 6:30.....
Come on in, the water's fine.........

Old 08-08-2008, 07:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Asmy wife says;retirement is good.My advise is that young people plan there retirement when they start their careers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement