Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:24 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,546,355 times

Advertisements

Maybe this has been addressed before, but, how do you handle your bank accounts when you move to a new state? Call me simple minded, but I'm having a problem with figuring this out. We have our direct deposits set up here in CA...but our bank has no branches in any of the states we are considering. I went online and looked for other banks that are both here in CA and in the 3 states we are considering...unfortunately, I couldn't find all of them in all three states. How do others handle this? A representitive from our bank mentioned phone banking, through the mail banking, and online...I'm not comfortable with any of these methods...I don't even like using an ATM! I know I'm behind the times, but surely there is a simple answer to this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 09:47 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times
That's one benefit of dealing with a large financial institution - when you move your bank has offices/branches in your new state...thus all you do is change your address with them and retain the same account numbers.

I would definitely open an account(s) with a financial institution (bank) in the new state where you are moving. Choose a bank that has numerous branches for convienence purposes.

All you have to do is open a new account with your new bank, and then transfer the assets from your old bank account to the new bank account. Your new bank will help you take care of the transfer, e.g. signing transfer form, etc. It's a common occurance - people change banks all the time for various reasons.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:27 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooter View Post
That's one benefit of dealing with a large financial institution - when you move your bank has offices/branches in your new state...thus all you do is change your address with them and retain the same account numbers.
Not necessarily true. Washington Mutual made us close the other accounts and open new ones, even though we had been customers.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:12 AM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
There was once a time when nobody took an out-of-state check.

But we have not seen any evidence of such for years.

My pension is on DDS to Navy Federal Credit Union HQ'ed in Virginia. The state that we moved to has no branch offices of that CU.

I opened a bank account in a local bank inside of a grocery store, just for depositing checks and withdrawing cash.

But all checks that we write use the out-of-state CU. Nobody cares anymore.

I have never used an ATM.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:46 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Don't use ATMs. On-line banking is more secure than (then? I keep mixing those words up) using ATMs, imo. Can you not keep your money in your same bank, when you get where you're going write check for cash at stores who've become familiar with you? Or do your cash transaction at a bank where you start a small savings account, and keep you direct-deposit in California?

I've never had a problem writing an out-of-state check when I travel, either. A lot of places nowadays have the instant check verification machines.

I'm asking because I've been banking at a local credit union for over twenty years. I would like to keep my money there. When I move, I will probably go back to paper bank statements...I've always used a Post Office box, and will continue to, if I can.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:41 AM

823 posts, read 3,689,096 times
carmac,

Why don't you go to your bank and discuss the situation with them.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:52 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
i moved out of state and kept the same bank. Then I went to a local bank and put
in a small amount so I could cash checks if I did need money. One bank when
I moved, I just told them why I did need to close the acc't and they just wrote me a
check which i did put into the new bank. My out of state checks have no problem
at all. I also have a debit card which i can use for the atm, or the grocery store, then get extra cash back.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:59 AM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,847 times
Why not open an account in the area where you are considering and just write a check off the account that is being direct deposited to. I too have been dealing with a credit union for more than 25 years our retirment funds are direct deposited there and I write a check to deposit into a local bank so I have some activity there locally as well.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:01 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,847 times
Default Your quote

Sorry Beekeeper I didn't read your post when I wrote my, we are on the same mind set

Old 08-22-2008, 12:32 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
Sorry Beekeeper I didn't read your post when I wrote my, we are on the same mind set
Me, either~~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement