U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 08:24 PM
MsV

2,604 posts, read 1,008,043 times

Advertisements

Great advice/ideas offered on this topic. I'm 57, born/raised on Long Island, lived in Calif, Pa & NJ and my husband and I are considering moving down in a couple years to Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach in northern Florida. I don't like heat and humity either, and I occasionally dream of a hammock in the mountains, but I think this area of the south will offer me cooler southern temperatures in a beach resort atmosphere, as well as a great home for a more moderate price. It's almost an hour north of Jacksonville, 25min from JAX and it hasn't been hit by a devastating hurricaine in 107yrs (very important to us). The weather is cooler than the rest of Florida, thus you have some of the northern trees mixed in with palms. This island is actually the most westerly point of the eastern seaboard - literally under Pittsburgh on a map. It answers our projected retirement wish list, and although we have to go all the way to Jacksonville for cultural events, and Mayo Clinic, I think it could be just what we are looking for. THE ONLY DOWNSIDE is that I need to find a job down there, and I might have to go all the way to Jacksonville to get it - bummer! But I'm not ready to retire yet. My husband works from home, so it is not an issue for him. Good luck everyone in identifying what works for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 12:07 AM

16 posts, read 64,725 times
Default 60+ living

My wife and I are both over 60 and we have found Paradise in San Clemente,California. We are a mile from the ocean with a year round temperate climate and no need for air conditioning. It's a mobile home community called Shorecliffs Terrace and it's a resident owned park so no rent increases. Our association dues are under $200. Home prices with land go for about $325,000 to $450,000. For San Clemente this is reasonable where the average home price is close to a million dollars. Many of the homes have golf course and/or ocean views. Look up Shorecliffs Terrace on the internet. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what we have. I think we have a great community.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:46 AM

16 posts, read 64,725 times
Smile Shorecliffs Terrace

Just a PS to my last post. You have to type in Shorecliffs Terrace on Yahoo. The available sites won't come up on Google. I don't know about the other search engines.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:47 PM

8 posts, read 29,628 times
Well, we are completing our move from South Florida all the way to Houston., even we had planned to spend our retirement in FL
Why? Family first, but also tired of lack of quality entertainment (read: classical music, opera, ballet), hurricanes, high RE taxes and insurance rates.
Nevertheless, we are already missing the beaches as the ones in Galveston do not compare at all with any in FL.
In Houston we have found all of it and sports within a very small geographical area in downtown, and it is close enough to drive up to either Galveston, San Antonio, Austin, Dallas with a mix of landscape. Furthermore, living in Texas is less expensive than Florida.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:23 PM

11 posts, read 13,376 times
Turning 60 and contemplating retirement in a couple of years. Do many of you stay where you are and rent someplace else a few months of the year if you live in cold weather climates? If so, what are your choices for the winter?

Old 03-12-2013, 06:17 PM

8,787 posts, read 7,710,113 times
We grew up in Wisc. -20, dark gloomy days, snow that sticks around for months, always needing boots, gloves, hat and heavy jacket, shoveling snow day after day, choping ice, falling on snow, sliding on snow, scraping snow and ice off windshield, high natural gas bills, We left Wisc. back around 1990 and have never looked back and don't miss it. We've lived in NC and Texas. I hate even the little bit of snow we get in Texas, don't miss it, and I'm glad when its gone. Hope that is enough to communicate our true feelings.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:32 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,744,100 times
The once-every-twenty-years-or-so dusting of snow that we get in Los Angeles doesn't bother me at all. Snow is not far away up in the mountains and I used to take the kids up to play in it. A front-wheel drive vehicle is really helpful though, or four-wheel drive even better.

I grew up in St. Louis (not a lot of snow, but several snow falls each winter) and I miss the snow a lot, but I do understand those of you who are just sick and tired of it after many years. What is fun for kids is not necessarily fun when you are over 70. I am 69 and I think I could still enjoy it some.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 PM

797 posts, read 1,127,899 times
During my years in Minnesota I got so sick of winter and snow I said I will retire someplace that after an ocassional snowfall I'll get the camera out before the snow shovel.

Snow should be like visiting relatives....................glad to see them make their appearance but gone in 3 days.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,492,863 times
And six year old thread roars back to life.

People thought we were nuts to want to move back to four real seasons, including some snow though not a lot, if any, at times. After living for years with redundant weather, even if good, it's been a pleasure.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,342,433 times
I'm in my late 50's and I am also getting tired of snow. It's really pretty to look at, but as a homeowner I do not enjoy shoveling it nor do I like walking on icy pavements or driving in snowy or icy conditions.

Like many here, I enjoy living in a 4 season temperate climate.

I'm looking at retirement in next 3 - 5 years.

Here in Philly we only had about 1 inch of snow during the winter of '11-'12, and maybe 1 and 1/2 inches this winter. However, Philadelphia averages about 21 inches of snow per year.

A more ideal climate for me would be a place where the winters are just a little milder. I am guessing Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, coastal Maryland and Virginia might be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or