U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:23 PM

797 posts, read 1,129,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
When we moved to SE FL in 1992, Miami hadn't had a hurricane in 37 years. We were living just north of there when, 4 months after we moved in, there was a category 5 hurricane (Hurricane Andrew). We had some damage to our home and we were without power for a week, plus a tree fell on my car. Just because there hasn't been a hurricane on Amelia Isand, it doesn't mean there won't be one. If you are moving to a hurricane prone state, be sure to learn about hurricanes, how to prepare for one, property insurance costs and availability, and where the evacuation route is.
Very true.

I recall some of the retirement books I read a few years back that stated the New Orleans area had not been hit by a hurricane.

They were honest enough to add----------"however, this probably has more to do with luck than with location "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 02:53 AM

71,867 posts, read 71,942,576 times
well living here in nyc we have been hit with everything from tornados, to earthquakws to hurricane sandy in just the last few years but i still like it here.

snow lately has really been at a minimum. actually i miss the fact we have such little snow fall. i really like taking my jeep out to play and snow shoe hiking.

perhaps as we age more ,we might seek a warmer climate but right now we are staying put.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:31 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,858,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well living here in nyc we have been hit with everything from tornados, to earthquakws to hurricane sandy in just the last few years but i still like it here.

snow lately has really been at a minimum. actually i miss the fact we have such little snow fall. i really like taking my jeep out to play and snow shoe hiking.

perhaps as we age more ,we might seek a warmer climate but right now we are staying put.

Move up here if you want snow fall

Old 03-15-2013, 04:01 AM

71,867 posts, read 71,942,576 times
that is like we had by the house in the poconos. that is more than i bargained for ha ha ha

Old 03-15-2013, 05:23 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,858,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
that is like we had by the house in the poconos. that is more than i bargained for ha ha ha
Yikes . Been to the Poconos a few years back. Actually a couple of times. Tobyhanna Army Depot two times and to a resort called Paradise Stream. Fun place if anyone is interested in a love nest for a weekend.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:19 AM

1,611 posts, read 1,275,121 times
I've lived in a snowy area only 5 years of my 66 years. I hated it, having been raised in Arizona! I live in San Antonio Texas and I realize it can get hot here...but I can live with that, at least we can go outside most days and have lots of sunny beautiful days. My daughter at the grand old age of 48 has had it with the weather in Illinois. She's stuck inside for
months cause it's too danged cold there. There's just more to deal with and also the expense of living in an area that's gets snow. No thank you...I'll stay put!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or