U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:53 PM

7,339 posts, read 16,646,140 times

Advertisements

Where in the U.S. do you live? Do you live in a "snow area" and like it? Did you use to live in a "snow area" and wanted to/decided to move to a warmer climate, and did?
These are pretty curious questions that my wife and I would like to know. Currently, we are living in a "snow area" (Denver metro/Parker) and have pretty much gotten sick of snow/ice. We are in our late 50's and just physically can't seem to handle the amount of snow that they get here each year. I have a hip replacement, so my days of "playing" in the snow, ice skating or whatever are definitely over. And now, due to a fall on snow/ice just prior to Christmas, I have to have surgery on my right shoulder. However, we do like snow, just not much of it. Later on this year, we will be selling our house and heading for Charlotte, NC. They sure don't have the winters there like it is here in the "Rockies".
So, if you are "up there in age" and can eat off of the Senior Menu at Denny's or IHOP.....tell us about your thoughts of snow/ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 10:31 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,394,032 times
Sorry I didn't see this question and respond sooner - my husband and I are in the subject age category. We currently live in Houston, Tx but will be heading for North Carolina upon his retirement in three years. We have the polar opposite of your situation as far as weather goes and that is something I want to change. I am fed up with the seemingly endless summer here on the Gulf Coast (although we have actually had some decent cold weather this winter) but it isn't the weather that is driving our move entirely. I am fed up with the nightmarish traffic here which gets worse by the day. Everything we do is such an effort and causes no end to our general frustration.

Decades ago I thought it might be nice to live in the New England area and have those real winters. But the older I got the less that appealed. It isn't just the pain of shoveling snow or even driving in the icy weather, it has become more of a physical discomfort issue. We just don't deal with the cold as well as we used to. The cold seems to go to the bone and it is hard to warm up plus the need for heat causes terribly dry skin and is very aging. So although not for the same reasons per se, we too will be heading for NC. (Sorry to tell you though, we don't eat at either Denny's or IHOP - too boring.)

Old 03-21-2007, 10:36 AM

26 posts, read 60,391 times
I live in Minnesota. born and raised in Michigan. have lived in Minnesota since 1976. I dont like all the snow...I dont like the long winters. I cant wait to move somewhere else where i can look at the snow in the mountains and not be in it unless,of course; i go to the mountains...how would you like to snowblow 1/2 your yard due to a snow amount of about a foot and a 1/2 next to your house and if it melts you have a wet basement??...every winter we do that. saves the basement but oh what a pain.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:37 PM

181 posts, read 426,207 times
I'm close to your age group, just a little younger, but am a long-range planner so have been thinking about these same things for a few years.

Currently in Northern Virginia, near Washington DC. It doesn't snow a lot here, but I've taken a few falls on icy sidewalks, even going slowly and carefully. No way do I want to spend any time in my golden years in the hospital with hip replacement surgery or any other kind of surgery from falling on the ice! Am also getting tired of the cold, dry winters here, which is wreaking havoc on my skin.

North Carolina doesn't get much snow if you don't live in the mountains, but it's still a bit colder than I'm looking for. I also love gardening and am fond of tropical plants. So I'll be moving southwards when I retire, maybe to Texas, maybe to Mexico.

As far as traffic, well, it's bad everywhere unless you've found yourself a very small town to live in. But the downside to that is, will a small town have enough culture or things to do that you're interested in? For me, probably not. Having grown up in relative isolation out in the country, I have preferred urban living all my adult life. If I end up in Texas, perhaps I'll live near a larger city but not actually in it like I do now, and have the best of both worlds. If I end up in Mexico, I might not need a car at all, from what I hear from expats.

At any rate, it does seem like there are a lot of people who want to move to a more suitable climate when they retire. I agree, my tolerance to temperature extremes has changed the older I get. (Geez, I hate to hear myself say things like that!!! )

Old 03-21-2007, 05:08 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,249,562 times
We moved to the coast of Oregon almost 4 years ago. It was to get out of the sub-freezing winters in eastern Oregon.
Since I'm older I just can't seem to stand all the cold. We still may move from here. We haven't decided yet. If we do move it'll be to a location that does not have a lot of snow.

No I don't want to be digging my car out of the snow any more. That is just not fun at all.

Last edited by Waterlily; 03-21-2007 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: corrected

Old 03-21-2007, 06:24 PM

92 posts, read 367,092 times
Default Retiring in 2 Years

We currently live in Las Vegas where the temperatures soar in excess of 100 degrees most of the time from June - September. Frankly when we retire we are going to move away from here to a cooler climate such as Colorado, Montana or Idaho to escape the heat. Granted we may not enjoy shoveling out of snow either however at least in the spring, summer and fall months when one can go out and enjoy the outdoors, you can do so in the cooler climate states as opposed to the intense heat of Las Vegas or Phoenix where you can only enjoy the air conditioning indoors. Our thoughts are that it may be a little inconvenient to live in an area that snows but at least during the other seasons we can go out and enjoy ourselves doing various activities. It is not very enjoyable to fry in the heat to stay indoors with air conditioning during the nicest time of the year.
Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:44 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,411,891 times
I can't imagine not living in a 4-season climate.

Having grown up in Point Loma (San Diego), I was bored with the temperate climate on the coast.

We now own a ranch in SE Wyoming and a house in Vail. When we give up our ranching/farming enterprise ... due to an age where we cannot keep up with it all, we'll be moving to Vail, CO. Both are very snowy areas with 4 seasons.

We just don't find that the snow is that onerous. But should we get "cabin fever" in Vail, it's readily accessible to snowbird South for a couple of months. We'll probably get a 5th wheel trailer for the horses with some living quarters for us.

I find it easier and far more comfortable to layer on clothing to deal with the cold then it is to deal with the heat which makes me very uncomfortable. As I get older, that seems to be even more of a problem.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:47 PM

66 posts, read 289,788 times
Folks,
I just went through all the posts to see where people were thinking to go. I saw something interesting. Most of you trying to move from places the rest of us thought were the right places to retire to. Go figure.
I guess we all have different ideas and that's what makes giving advice so hard. Soooooo.... here's my advice.
Write everything you want on paper:
What you like to do and think you will continue wanting to do?
What new things do you think you will be doing with all the time you will have?
What can you afford?
Do you really know anything about your choices?

I'm really close to taking the plunge, also, but I have spent the last 15 years traveling Florida 4 weeks a year on vacations, so I have a place already. (I still occasionally think about the mountains...hmmmm.)
I would say the best plan is to stay in that nice, hopefully paid for, house and take a couple years of very long vacations in the places you think may be right. You may find a couple more in your travels.
I know that a month in the beach house down the street cost less that my mortgage payment. Relax, drive around. Eat in diners and hang around hardware stores looking at service people cards on the wall. Ask questions. Go to the local church and community pancake dinners. Talk to the local realtor's Association (for the price of a dry Martini you can find out things the FBI can't beat out of them.)

Take your time and do the right thing, unless there are Wants & Warrants with your name on them in your state.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:25 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,673,569 times
Well, later this year I'll be in your age criteria! My husband is already there by a few years. We live in Florida, but didn't come here just for retirement. We've both lived here for 30+ years, raised our kids here, etc. I really thought about going back to TN (that's where I'm from originally) but my husband was more hesitant. The only really difficult thing about living here is July - August, maybe September. But that's why we have air conditioning! And we tend to go to the mountains on vacation, so all is not lost!

Old 03-23-2007, 06:15 PM

192 posts, read 798,261 times
I am not quite 60 yet (58) but have been retired for five years, so I'd like to answer if I may.

I currently live in Massachusetts (I grew up here but then spent more than 20 years of my working life in London, then returned here in 1998). I find that my tolerance for our typical New England winter is only a fraction of what it was in my youth and twenties! It is still beautiful but I loathe the plowing, shovelling, driving (mostly because of the way others drive!) on icy and slushy roads, and the shorter gardening season. What I want is a somewhat milder winter.

But I also very much dislike a southern climate for more than a brief visit. Humidity, which never bothered me at all before my forties, instantly makes me feel like wilted lettuce. I have very fair skin and burn quickly even after slathering on sunblock and protective clothing, so am not a beach-person at all. And I do like having four distinct seasons.

I did look into North Carolina but felt it is too far south. The winters are nice but the warmer months are too much so!

I found City-Data while researching Long Island, NY. It does seem to have the climate I am looking for (probably because it, like the UK, is an island and the surrounding water moderates extremes of temperature most of the time) and I like the closeness to New York City. I would never live IN a city again; I need my own "patch of earth" around me, and enough room for a manageable garden -- say, an acre or perhaps a bit less depending on the topography.
It is rather expensive but no more so than where I now live which is about fifteen minutes outside of Boston. I have looked into less expensive parts of the country but none fit my all of my requirements and preferences (including climate) as neatly as Long Island does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or