U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 12:24 PM

22,725 posts, read 17,648,825 times

Advertisements

This is a pretty good article that says retirement to Florida is trending downward and also says that 9 out of 10 people stay where they are when they retire. It talks about places other than Florida that are now attracting boomer retirees and why they are.

Will Florida attract the boomers? | HeraldTribune.com | Southwest Florida's Information Leader
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 12:53 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,467,573 times
I think there has been a noticeable slow down of retirees and quite possibly people in general that move to Florida. I think that if a retiree does retire to Florida it is more times than not, the more affluent one now. Florida is not the cheap retirement area any longer. Of course there will always be people moving there, people from all backrounds and income brackets, but the migration does seem to be somewhat different than years back now.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:36 PM

13,496 posts, read 25,231,190 times
Very interesting article. Florida has lost a lot of it's appeal even though it has many beautiful areas in the state. It's basically turned into a place that only the wealthy can afford so that leaves me out. Their housing has skyrocketed and even though there's been a recent drop, it's still much higher then in the past. $75,000 houses were selling for $300,000 and now they may be down to $200,000 so that doesn't sound economical to me. Throw in high taxes and high insurance and it's just not feasible for many of us.

Since it is a vacationer's paradise, there had always been part time employment for seniors to subsidize their income. Now their unemployment rate has soared to over 6% in many areas. Even though their state minimum wage went up a couple years ago, it's a pittance in comparison to the way the cost of living went up.

As for the number 2 state, Az., I've never been there. It used to be considered a very popular retirement area. Just from reading on the forum, it appears that their unemployment rate has soared and their cost of living is pretty high. So to retire to either state, you need to have plenty of assets and no need to subsidize your income at all. I know there are many who can do this, but many of us can't.

I wasn't surprised to see Texas mentioned. It's a state we've been talking about ourselves. The people seem friendly and although some parts of the state don't look too attractive, many areas are beautiful. (picture browser here.)

Mississippi wasn't a surprise either. They've been working hard at promoting their state in order to attract people to it. Their big draw is being near the Gulf area, too and a very reasonable cost of living.

I was surprised not to see Alabama on the list. Maybe they know something about it that I'm not aware of???

As far as Tn.~it seems to be very popular and beautiful. Guess I just didn't care for the promoter's comment on who they want to draw to their state. Kind of hurtful to the average person.

Anyway, thank you for posting that article. It was very interesting.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:19 PM

7,859 posts, read 12,475,246 times
Wow ! What an insult that Tennessee only wants people with "two million in assets". What a totally snobbish thing to say, anyway. What is that , about .05% of the population?

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:51 PM

1,208 posts, read 2,425,551 times
Default retired out west

Gosh.... I did it all backwards; lived in Miami-Dade FL for 30+ years and retired out to the west coast

But, as I get older..... I kinda miss the balmy mild winters

Old 09-29-2008, 12:20 AM

4,854 posts, read 8,665,091 times
It has much to do with the change with population shifts. New York was at one time the largest state and the concept of Florida as the premier retirement destination was in their minds. Now New York is no longer the biggest state--it falls behind California and Texas and there are other areas of increased population. Many more people have discovered and become knowledgeable of other areas of the country with the increase in travel and wealth.

I grew up in Buffalo. All my family has relocated to the Denver area in the last 25-35 years, as adults. We never considered Florida because we had seen other areas of the country; we wanted a more relaxed area to live with a better climate, not too hot and not too cold. Most of us are now retired, and will stay in Colorado. Denver is a progressive city with a mild climate and we all feel we made the right choice.

Livecontent

Old 09-29-2008, 01:21 AM

2,653 posts, read 7,242,492 times
As a boomer, and someone who has had the misfortune of having visited Florida before, I can assure you that I wouldn't retire there if bound, gagged, and dragged by a team of wild horses.

Nor would I go to Texas or Arizona.

What is it with most retirees that they want to spend their 'golden years' being broiled alive? Count me out.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:32 AM

22,725 posts, read 17,648,825 times
As far as who is attracting who, I understand Eric Estrada was promoting moving to Tennessee in Florida ads (can't remember what community he touted but I think they said it was Tellico Village). The Floridians who posted on our Tennessee forum used to mention it a lot about 1 - 2 years ago. But that was the same period when I was planning to move from Maryland in retirement and I never saw promos of any kind, by anybody, for the Tennessee place Estrada was touting. So, I was thinking maybe the developer didn't want people from Maryland...but maybe that's not it.

What I did see a lot, in Maryland, were ads for The Villages in Florida but most of my current Tennessee retiree book discussion group never heard of The Villages when we were talking about reading the book "Leisureville." How could that be, I wondered. I would never move to Florida (too hot) but I see those ads all of the time and have for the last 2 years in Maryland and now in Tennessee. I can sing the song I've seen the ads so much --- "The Villages, Florida's friendliest home town..." (You see Arnold Palmer and Nancy Lopez on the golf course in the commercial and retirees line dancing outside...) How is it possible my book discussion group has never seen the ads/heard of The Villages? That's when I realized, all of the ads for The Villages, in Tennessee and in Maryland, that I have seen, have aired on the Fox News channel (and one other channel that I can't think of right now) so maybe The Villages is targeting conservative retirees to move there and that's why my liberal book group mates have never seen the ads for that retirement community. If you read Leisureville, The Villages comes off as a Republican retirement community (Palin was campaigning there recently) when it comes to politics, although I think all developers take anybody's money.

But, that got me to thinking about targeted TV advertising that's not just age based. Why do Floridians who move to Tennessee primarily go to certain East Tennessee towns but midwesterners who move to Tennessee go to different places? You can see it in the migration stats of losing and receiving towns/counties. Why is it when I was driving through a retirement destination town in Tennessee on my way to someplace else, I saw a sign on a real estate office that said something like, "Your Florida connection blah, blah, blah," like they knew the people coming to buy homes in that town were primarily from Florida? I'm thinking they would only know that if their PR/ads were directed specifically at Floridians in Florida (as opposed to ex-Floridians now living someplace else).

Last edited by LauraC; 09-29-2008 at 07:42 AM..

Old 09-29-2008, 07:56 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,555,103 times
LauraC, my father-in-law lives in south Florida and he's been telling us since we moved here last year about all the ads advertising moving to Tennessee. I think he did mention it's eastern TN.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:40 PM

42,346 posts, read 46,156,512 times
Florida including the housing market has gotten over inflated to be the retirement place it once was. Property is not cheap liike ti once was and the insurnace to cover it has gone thru the roof with the increase in hurricanes,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement