U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 05:49 PM

7,828 posts, read 11,665,795 times
i read the book Leisureville not long ago which gives a good insight to 55+ communities.

I read this book also and I just was not impressed or excited about the kinds of activities that seemed to center around drinking in darkened bars that I read about at The Villages. The people (such as "Captain MIdnight") seemed crude and uninteresting. I was totally turned off by the whole place.

I don't think that this could be the norm for all over 55 places . At least, I hope not.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 06:52 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,258,669 times
Default about The Villages

nancy...... like I said before - I've been hanging out at talkofthevillages.com for about 9 months, trying to get an understanding of what their "lifestyle" is all about. I have not read that book Leisureville.

From what I've read on the Forum, I get the impression that most of the inhabitants of The Villages are middle/upper class couples who have two homes and use TV as a winter-party-residence. According to my figures, it would cost about $1,000 per month, in expenses to live in TV and that includes everything (utilities, services, taxes, amenity fees, insurance, etc.) except a mtg. payment.

Most of the participants of the Forum do express their liking to party - but the forum membership is about 4,000 and only a couple dozen are regular posters - so it's not fair to evaluate the entire community on the vocal few posters, as it's not fair to judge the community based on one young author's opinion.

Still, it's been interesting and a learning experience to read the posts!

Last edited by ConeyIsBabe; 10-18-2008 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-18-2008, 07:53 PM

7,828 posts, read 11,665,795 times
Thanks, coney. I will go and check out their site myself to see if I get a different opinion of The Villages than I did from the book.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:35 PM

4,749 posts, read 7,990,709 times
To me the best retirement community is what I can get myself. I would like to live in a urban center with stores, and recreation nearby without driving. Some of these over 55 communties are too far out and have no other attractions than what they offer. I do not want to pay for pools, golf course etc. when I can get better facilities, that are already taxed, in the city. These new, expensive and expansive retirement communities are just not for me.

The only over 55 facility that I would consider would be a very simple complex for seniors with limited recreational amenities and some support for emergencies. I would want walkable city amenities within close proximity and other neccesities available with easy public transit.

You see many of these older type retirement complexes in the city. Living in these types of centers, you can be part of a community and see children, families and not be isolated. I live near Denver and I am starting to get familiar with these types of retirement communities. I am surprised by the variability of the types, the locations and comforts of these facilities.

Many of them are in older neighborhoods. They are good if the neighborhood still has nearby shopping and has not fallen into decay and become unsafe. I am fortunate that Denver is becoming a city that is attracting new residents and most area are going through rebuilding and you can find yourself living in established retired housing within a new vibrant neighborhood. In addition, Denver is dramatically improving the public transit.

I have noticed that many of these traditional older retirement housing communities are sponsored by many non-profit groups. Some allow low income; some do not. Some are more luxurious; some are more simple. A few appealing ones are supported by the religious denominations and are within walkable distance of their church and are included in activities. Interesting ones are those that have been developed to serve the common interests of retirees from social fellowships, union, and specific careers.

When, I first moved to Colorado I had a chance to visit the Printers Home in Colorado Springs, on Printers Parkway. It was set up for an industry that caused many lung problems in long term workers and at that time, Colorado was considered good for those conditions. In the lobby, I was surrounded by retired printers who competed to tell their stories of what they did; "I set the type for Lindberg's flight...", "I printed the first copy of the Pearl Harbor attack..." etc. All very interesting but I am not sure that I would want to be surrounded by those who shared the same interest in life as mine.

Once I was in a park, near where I live and I started to talk to a man fishing in the lake. It came as a surprise that he was a retired Jesuit Priest in a nearby retirement home for Jesuits.

So what am I saying....maybe the best retirement communities is in your own town, city and area. It may not be the lavished, advertised, for profit new communities in the newspapers but they may fulfill all your needs, simply and with less expense; and allow you to live content in the more diverse and exciting community of real life.

Livecontent

Old 10-24-2008, 07:46 PM

2,349 posts, read 3,147,011 times
Another issue to consider in the +55 retirement communities is that people will die on a regular basis. I've heard that the sound you most often hear in these places at night are ambulances. I know a lady in a condo in FL who says that someone dies at least once a week. Of course, this depends on the size of the facility and the age of its inhabitants. But it would be rather unsettling to be hearing this so often...

Old 10-24-2008, 07:55 PM

3,446 posts, read 4,434,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Another issue to consider in the +55 retirement communities is that people will die on a regular basis. I've heard that the sound you most often hear in these places at night are ambulances. I know a lady in a condo in FL who says that someone dies at least once a week. Of course, this depends on the size of the facility and the age of its inhabitants. But it would be rather unsettling to be hearing this so often...
Oh please! What you said is so wrong. You are acting like the 55+ communities are nursing homes or assisted living facilities with people on their deathbed. They are not. If you enjoy playing golf, tennis, cards, hiking, flying model airplanes, going out to dinner, watching ball games together, etc., almost all of those communities are loaded with very active residents. In fact, many of the 55+ communities have people more active than what you would find in a regular neighborhood because many are retired and can "play" or do anything they wish unlike employed people that are on a strict schedule.

Last edited by Waterlily; 10-25-2008 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: no name calling

Old 10-25-2008, 07:42 AM

Default Are you sure about outside landscaping, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
nancy...... like I said before - I've been hanging out at talkofthevillages.com for about 9 months, trying to get an understanding of what their "lifestyle" is all about. I have not read that book Leisureville.

From what I've read on the Forum, I get the impression that most of the inhabitants of The Villages are middle/upper class couples who have two homes and use TV as a winter-party-residence. According to my figures, it would cost about $1,000 per month, in expenses to live in TV and that includes everything (utilities, services, taxes, amenity fees, insurance, etc.) except a mtg. payment.

Most of the participants of the Forum do express their liking to party - but the forum membership is about 4,000 and only a couple dozen are regular posters - so it's not fair to evaluate the entire community on the vocal few posters, as it's not fair to judge the community based on one young author's opinion.

Still, it's been interesting and a learning experience to read the posts!
Are you sure that $1,000 includes mowing the lawn, painting, new roof, etc.?

Old 10-25-2008, 07:47 AM

Default Rude Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooter View Post
Oh please! What you said is so wrong.
Kooter,
That was an unnecessarily rude comment... Have you been to EVERY +55 community in the U.S.? I think not.

Last edited by Waterlily; 10-26-2008 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: fixing quote

Old 10-25-2008, 07:59 AM

3,446 posts, read 4,434,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Kooter,
That was an unnecessarily rude comment... Have you been to EVERY +55 community in the U.S.? I think not.
Did I say "every"? No I did not, but I have visited about two dozen in 5 states. I think that should be a damn good indicator, and unquestionably better than the poster who said; "someone dies at least once a week". I will repeat - that statement was indeed SO WRONG.

Last edited by Waterlily; 10-25-2008 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: no flames

Old 10-25-2008, 09:48 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,258,669 times
Default staywarm2.......

Regarding my "guesstimate" on monthly living expenses for The Villages in central Florida..... I calculated it to be about $1,000 per month including all utilities and all services (including lawn service). This is my guess; it could very well be less and possibly more. Of course, my guesstimate does NOT cover improvements such as painting and a new roof One would have to consider those extra expenses when owning property. And certainly one's property taxes and insurance would depend on the structure and value of the house.

That question has come up frequently at the talkofthevillages Forum and anyone could easily research it for a more accurate fugure according to one's personall needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement