U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2008, 09:43 PM

130 posts, read 500,502 times

Advertisements

Hi all - I'm new to this forum and at 55 years old, happy to find such a great resource. Anyway, I was reading another thread and there seemed to be some women interested in a life at sea and I thought I'd let you adventurous people know about a world cruise known as Semester at Sea. It's an educational cruise that visits places like Brazil, South Africa, India, Viet Nam, etc. I don't work for them and have no connection other than my children - my daughter went in 2004 and my son is on the current voyage (presently in Malaysia!) It's mostly college students, but they have a program for Lifelong Learners (that's us -you have to be over 40) that usually attracts between 20 - 30 people. It's not cheap, but it's the trip of a lifetime...Fall and Spring voyages are 108 days and Summer is 67 days. You can google them for their website. I hope to be able to take a voyage myself someday. Happy sailing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 11:24 PM

926 posts, read 2,456,409 times
thats awesome! Ive always said that instead of living in a senior community Im just going to go on world cruises for the rest of my life because it cost about the same and its 100% adventure! Thanks for posting

Old 10-25-2008, 07:51 AM

1,123 posts, read 168,667 times
That's my fantasy....I always said that if I won the Lottery, I would take 10 of my best buds on a world cruise to eat.
I want to be able to pull into ports and find a locals favorite eatery.

If that doesn't happen... I'll settle for Anthony Bourdan's job

Old 10-27-2008, 02:23 AM

3,853 posts, read 11,662,108 times
Definitely a possibility. It seems most of these cruises run in the range of 1000/week. Probably add in another 500 for the shore excursions depending on what you want. I would definitely go for the two week cruises.

I wouldn't want to do anything more than that because it seems like you are being rushed from one port to the next without knowing much about it.

I like to read up and research my ports of call. I like to get immersed in the culture.

my grandpa does it a lot. He makes about 8-9k/month from dividends on his investments. His home is paid off and he lives in the midwest so the cost of living is super low. Saving and smart investing really paid off for him! hehe.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:24 AM

130 posts, read 500,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Definitely a possibility. It seems most of these cruises run in the range of 1000/week. Probably add in another 500 for the shore excursions depending on what you want. I would definitely go for the two week cruises.

I wouldn't want to do anything more than that because it seems like you are being rushed from one port to the next without knowing much about it.

I like to read up and research my ports of call. I like to get immersed in the culture.

my grandpa does it a lot. He makes about 8-9k/month from dividends on his investments. His home is paid off and he lives in the midwest so the cost of living is super low. Saving and smart investing really paid off for him! hehe.
Good morning killer -

SAS costs a little bit more than $1,000 a week. However, they spend 4 - 5 days in each port, which really gives you an opportunity to get a feel for a place. Also, they offer a course called Global Studies (which Lifelong Learners can audit)...you study all about the history of the country before you get there...then they have pre-port meetings the night before where you get safety advice, etc. You can do local exploration or take longer excursions. My kids chose to go to Taj Mahal when in India and The Great Wall while in China...each of these cost around $1500 (they had to fly there from the port) but they figured that it'd probably be the only chance in their lives to see these places, so it was worth it to them. Also, these were arranged by SAS...other students did the same trips independently for much less.

Your grandpa's a lucky man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement