Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2008, 10:23 PM

6,870 posts, read 11,185,641 times

Advertisements

Did you ever buy or rent a second home to check out the area?

If you had kids (young adults - early 20's), how did they feel about your move?

BTW, you are still employed and can work remotely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 08:34 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,959,098 times
Yes, we have a home in Maine and one in West Virginia. We split our time between the two before we totally retire. After retirement, we'll make up our minds which house we will move to and which one we'll sell. As for children, ours know that we will be making changes in the next few years and by that time they should have their own lives going on.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:47 AM

1,363 posts, read 4,265,772 times
Didn't do this but probably should have (if we could afford to) because the choice we made wasn't the right one. It's okay for now while we look for another place to move to in a few years when the economy is hopefully better.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:51 PM

298 posts, read 701,911 times
To 46Barb-

What's wrong with your present location and what would you do differently?

Old 11-25-2008, 06:12 AM

67 posts, read 156,639 times
We bought a vacation home 800 miles from where we currently live a couple of years ago and plan to move to it just after the first of the year (retiring). We spent 5 years going to the place we decided on at least a couple times a year in different season so we felt pretty confident of our choice BEFORE we made it. As for our adult children, they are fine with our move. It is a long days drive to where we will be moving and they both love it so much they would move there as well if they could so I know we will see them often. Just as insurance though we are keeping our home here and our daughter's family will live in it. My job isn't the kind I could do remotely so I will just be leaving my job but later if I found something I could do remotely I might consider it.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:00 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,839,041 times
We were both employed in very good jobs, so we decided to build our retirement home and have it paid for before we retired. After it was built we decided we liked it (and it's location) better than our primary--and also determined that market conditions were prime to make a windfall on the primary. So we sold the primary, and moved into the retirement home.

My husband and I both work remotely. Our son wasn't thrilled with the the idea of moving at first (he had graduated but was still at home) but over the years has decided that he does like our new area better than where we were before.

We are now looking for another vacation home/retirement home in a different part of the country, but are in no rush to buy anything and will do so only if we find the perfect deal.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:38 AM

1,363 posts, read 4,265,772 times
We wanted to move to a low crime town not in a big city. We found the perfect town, but never looked into how far away it was from things we would do on a regular basis, etc. Except for the grocery store, Walmart & some shops, we have to travel 25-30 minutes to get to shopping, restaurants, etc.

Where we used to live, we liked going to small, quaint towns to walk around the shops and then go by the water. There are no small towns near us like this. There are lakes, but not ones where you sit and watch the sailboats, etc.

We loved going to the town fairs & to see the country music stars who performed for the price of entrance. Here (above Nashville) the country stars come to live and may perform in the city where we really don't go. At fairs are local, newer acts.

Eventually we wanted to become active in the senior center's activities only to find the closest one is 30 minutes away and doesn't do a lot. We previously lived in CT where the senior center had many activities, etc as well as the adult education classes you could take at local high schools. It was fun taking watercolor, line dancing, etc. I thought I'd do line dancing here but found out you have to go to the bars in Nashville - not for me.

We lived in the northeast before and thought we could find many of the things we enjoyed doing here, but we can't. Since we've been here (over a year), we constantly talk about where we want to move to be happy. We both feel we are existing here, not living and don't want to live out our lives this way.

Before we make our next move (hopefully last), we will make a list of all the things we want to do in detail and look closely to make sure that those things are available. Sometimes I don't think you realize what it is you're looking for until you move and find out what you're missing. We now know what we're missing and will search to find a happier place to call home.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:50 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,113,531 times
We also purchased a home before retirement...2 years ago...I wanted to get
it before I retired which was this year,now we will sell our home in New York
and move out to PA full time...

Old 11-26-2008, 08:06 AM

3,852 posts, read 12,833,708 times
I personally would never do that unless I am exceptionally wealthy (50m+ net worth). The only way I'd buy a second home would be for income production.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:09 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,935,585 times
We bought a condo in Myrtle Beach--we do rent it some, but the rent isn't enough to pay for itself. Mind you, it's not large enough to use as a permanent home, but it is a great place to go for vacations and quick get-a-ways!
We love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement