U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:13 AM

182 posts, read 752,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I've never been to Naples (FLA) but have been to the Triangle. It is a good place to be if you like the South. It has lots of interesting stuff to do, a good museum or three, lots of sunshine, and extremely friendly folk.

My question to myself is "where will I be happiest overall?"
and that IS the question. Places I thought I'd like have turn out to be not so great ..... places I left in search of something are calling me back......

to the topic, having lived in both... I'd vote for neither .... but if I HAD to choose, it would be NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 07:06 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,951,959 times
I'd pick N.C. hands down. Good Luck.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:08 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,226,945 times
I love both places (Florida and North Carolina). I've lived in North Carolina for 2 1/2 years. I've visited Florida about 4 times already. I love both. That's hard to choose.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:00 AM

393 posts, read 1,741,522 times
hehehe, I live in NC and I wouldn't chose either right now!!!

Old 05-25-2007, 08:27 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,698,184 times
I like the Naples and San Marcos Island area of Florida. But, it is pricey. If I had the dinero, I would consider there.

What is really around Raleigh? Though it is about a several hour drive to the ocean (if that is what you are thinking).

I like western NC - It is a low priced place to live, and I kind of like the mountains. Problem is, in the low lying areas it does get hot in the summer.

Blowing Rock is a great town - And, if you can afford a house with a view - WOW!

Old 05-25-2007, 09:08 AM

1,080 posts, read 4,169,189 times
Default Florida yuck

Anywhere but FLORIDA.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:21 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,960,936 times
Look at Edenton, NC.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:43 AM

673 posts, read 2,028,978 times
Forget NC, SC is now the hot spot.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:34 PM

633 posts, read 801,939 times
Smile Fl. or N.C.

I'm not retired (not as yet) but as I work a traveling profession I have the pleasure of seeing my parents in Fl. quite often.

There is much pro & con but to sum it up my folks will be moving when it is more favorable to do so. In the meantime they are taking their time to explore and focus on their next locale.They are not Fl. bashers but have had their fill and desire to move to a more civil area.

I myself like Fl. and so did they (to some degree) but after careful review of their comments I may not be retiring to Fl. when I am eligible.

I doubt if you could go wrong with N.C.--- I'd take a long hard look before I'd choose Fl.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:18 PM

80 posts, read 435,910 times
Smile The Carolinas are the "New Florida"

I had someone say to me that the Carolinas are the "new Florida". It's true that it's getting to be more popular, especially where I am in Northern Virginia where everywhere in North Carolina is a fairly easy 4-8 hours drive away. I know our company has gotten a significant amount of interest regarding the Carolinas over the past year.

Also, I don't recall if I've mentioned this before in one of these forums (I think I have), but a number of people are relocating from Florida to the Carolinas. There's even a term for them if they were originally from the Northeast, moved to Florida and then went to the Carolinas; they're calling them "half-backers" or "J-turners" because they have gone halfway back up the coast.

Many are making this choice to avoid the heat, hurricanes, cost of living, congestion, and/or insurance costs associated with Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or