U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2007, 12:06 PM

7,339 posts, read 16,648,534 times

Advertisements

Well, our choice will be NC. We done a lot of checking about property in Florida and it IS expensive. Not only that, FL can get even hotter & more humid that NC can. And, I don't feel like swimming, boating, fishing or tubing with a bunch of gators around. I got an e-mail at work showing a gator swimming along a lake shore with a full size buck deer in it's jaws. A local News Station copter took the photo.
Yep, it will be NC for us in a few months.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 12:39 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,925,492 times
There is a lot more to Florida than Naples and the rest of its southwest.
North Florida is beautiful, y'all.
This is the northwest:

This is the northeast:

Old 06-11-2007, 06:54 PM

738 posts, read 644,343 times
it'll be NC for us. My wife is from Greenville and has her roots there and in Little Washington. We have about an acre and a half on the water there. It's close to great health care (ECU Med School), Raleigh, Wilmington, Washington, D.C., Charleston, S.C., et al. There's great bird hunting, sporting clays facilities, boating and sailing (25' Chris Craft Corsair & 30' Dark Harbour), fishing, and plenty of real nice peolple. There's not a lot to do in LW, but we figure on having lots of dinner parties, low country boils, hunting parties, cocktail cruises and traveling quite a bit, especially during the colder months following Christmas. Personally, I can't wait!

Old 06-12-2007, 07:05 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,239,212 times
I recently had dinner with a family who moved here to Lenoir from Naples. You need to talk with these people. They said it was so hot you couldn't breathe in the summer. When it cooled off the snowbirds would make the traffic impossible. The also stated they could no longer afford the high cost of living there. If you do go to Naples.........have lottsa $$$. Good luck.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:38 PM

5 posts, read 22,256 times
I'm new on this forum, but not new to world travel. I live, and have for 23 years, in Raleigh, NC. I lived in Clearwater, FL before moving here, and in Spokane, WA before moving to FL. But, the second most notable time of my life is the 19 years I lived in Anchorage and Seward Alaska. The absolutely most notable time of my life was the 8 years spent traveling all the 49 states in a Vagabond travel trailer, 18 ft long, towed by a Pontiac 4 door.
Life of that nature will never re-exist! I said I have traveled the world, and it is true. Years in the US Navy, more years in the FAA, and more years as a businessman buying abroad for re-sale in the USA. I have traveled to 52 countries and all 50 states, and all US Territories.
Why, then am I looking to travel in my senior years? Because I like to and want to have my family experience some of the same before too late.
Encee

Old 02-08-2009, 12:04 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,491,059 times
I'd have to vote for NC. We were looking at where we wanted to semi-retire (we still do online work) and after spending a long time and lots of research it always came up NC. So we are here, have been for nearly 2 years now and have not been one bit unhappy with our decision!!

Old 02-08-2009, 12:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,306,443 times
Florida is very expensive ... we did the Snow Bird number for a few years but like Dorothy said as she clicked her ruby red shoes ... 'there is no place like home.'

North Carolina would be my choice ... we retired early after our three fledglings were educated and out and about in the world. Just be sure and review your finances, health/dental/Rx insurance and have everything paid off. When we bit the bullet at 50+ our home was paid for, vehicles paid off, no credit card debts ... rolled our 401ks over ... we were flush.

Now, with the present state of our economy we feel the crunch and it's just merely the living ... taxes, insurance, groceries. Of course we still have our RV, motorcycles, two boats (ocean fishing & fresh water DH convinced me ... one was good only for the ocean and other for our local river and I believe I believe.) We did downsize ... gave my car to our daughter.

North Carolina will give you the best of both worlds ... to the west the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains and east the Atlantic Ocean a few hours away.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:01 PM

14,245 posts, read 44,929,003 times
If my choice was strictly between Fla and NC, I would *probably* go with NC, but not the Triangle area - too yuppified in 1991, and sure it has got worse. I'd go up into the mountains, up next to Tenessee. But given that, I'd go on over into eastern Tenessee. Lower taxes, better cost of living, etc.

Nothing wrong with Florida, but the hurricaines would get on my nerves, and I'm more of a hillbilly than a beach bum.

I don't think there is an objective answer to your question - Fla and NC are pretty different, it comes down to what you prefer.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:29 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,817,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If my choice was strictly between Fla and NC, I would *probably* go with NC, but not the Triangle area - too yuppified in 1991, and sure it has got worse. I'd go up into the mountains, up next to Tenessee. But given that, I'd go on over into eastern Tenessee. Lower taxes, better cost of living, etc.

Nothing wrong with Florida, but the hurricaines would get on my nerves, and I'm more of a hillbilly than a beach bum.

I don't think there is an objective answer to your question - Fla and NC are pretty different, it comes down to what you prefer.
Yes, in the NE Tennessee mountains you can find some excellent deals along with a nice lifestyle -plus there's no state income tax although the sales tax is a lot higher.

When we moved 22 years ago from CT to Wilmington on the Carolina coast, we were stunned to discover how hot it got (we'd visited there in mid-June and September -not July or August). Soo, we began looking for a cool weekend place in the mountains and went across the NC/TN state line and found beautiful Watauga Lake in Johnson County. That sold us and we bought a small farm, eventually moving there full-time.

We're now 'off the mountain' in the Tri-Cities area, about an hour away in a less rural environment. Many folks are now retiring to that part of the world (check out the TN, Tri-Cities and Knoxville forums) because of the home prices, gorgeous mountain scenery, recreational rivers and lakes, excellent medical facilities and universities. It might be worth a trip to look at this part of the 'Mountain South'.. Four nice seasons in the TRI but not the extreme heat you get in some parts of NC and FL..
Best of luck!

(BTW - The place we've chosen for our future retirement is the Pacific coast of Mexico, which sadly, we're leaving tomorrow for a short trip home).

Old 02-14-2009, 04:51 PM

96 posts, read 296,422 times
I always recommend to go live one place for a year...........try the other one for a year before you give up your family home!!!

We have lived on the coast of North Carolina for 30 years before retirement. We are retired there and love it, but we spend 1/2 the year in Hawaii.

I don't think I would like Flordia in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or