U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 03:31 PM

8,134 posts, read 7,639,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Are there lakes in the Raleigh-Durham area? I mean, real lakes? Didn't look like it on the maps I've seen...
I've camped near Durham, at Falls Lake, and they have lakes in Raleigh. You can see some via this link

Parks and Recreation - Parks and Facilities - The Official City of Raleigh Portal

found this video for Raleigh Lake Wheeler

Lake Wheeler, Raleigh, NC 27603 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 05:31 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
If it's significantly warmer winters you're after, imo go all the way to South Georgia or Florida. NC has deciduous trees and to me it looks like New England in winter, plus a few degrees. At least in New England we typically do not get ice storms. I was in Raleigh/Carey in the summer and nearly fainted from the heat (more so in Greenville SC). If you can take the heat there, you can probably take it in Florida, and gain better winters.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:45 PM

34,674 posts, read 33,676,768 times
You might ask how many people who answer you have lived in both places. Probably none. Go visit and visit like a future resident not like a tourist.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:58 AM

202 posts, read 411,796 times
I highly recommend The Ozarks. Friendly people, four seasons, great nature, lots of interesting towns and areas, low taxes & expenses, low price of homes in most areas, centrally located in the country, tons of lakes, wood, and rivers & streams. Hunting, fishing, birds, wildlife abound.

For golfers- Bella Vista, Arkansas. Nine golf courses.

Lots to do areas- Branson,Mo. It has tons of shows and things to do and is next to Table Rock Lake. Northwest Arkansas. Rogers and Fayetteville areas.

Table Rock Lake, Missouri and Beaver Lake, Arkansas- Wonderful clean lake living with lots to do in surrounding areas. Low real estate and home prices for lake areas.

College town living- Fayetteville, Arkansas- Wonderful town in the hills of Arkansas near lakes and rivers.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 AM

6,123 posts, read 9,073,863 times
I thought we were comparing FL with NC ? How did the Ozarks get in here???

Old 05-08-2012, 12:23 PM

29,774 posts, read 34,856,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
If it's significantly warmer winters you're after, imo go all the way to South Georgia or Florida. NC has deciduous trees and to me it looks like New England in winter, plus a few degrees. At least in New England we typically do not get ice storms. I was in Raleigh/Carey in the summer and nearly fainted from the heat (more so in Greenville SC). If you can take the heat there, you can probably take it in Florida, and gain better winters.
In support of your post let me again say. August in NC can be ugly. If you were born here and if your Mama was born here everyone says ugly is as August here does. Hide your children and hide your dogs when the sun is high as it will find you if you step outside. NC sun in July/August can radiate below tree drip lines and still shine on you. There is no shade in the afternoon as it all burned up the day before. It is not unusual at the beach to see 75-90% of the people in the water at any given time. But Spring and Fall are Heavenly.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:07 AM

6,123 posts, read 9,073,863 times
And what about winter, Tuborg? Isn't that heavenly as well?

Old 05-09-2012, 01:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
In support of your post let me again say. August in NC can be ugly. If you were born here and if your Mama was born here everyone says ugly is as August here does. Hide your children and hide your dogs when the sun is high as it will find you if you step outside. NC sun in July/August can radiate below tree drip lines and still shine on you. There is no shade in the afternoon as it all burned up the day before. It is not unusual at the beach to see 75-90% of the people in the water at any given time. But Spring and Fall are Heavenly.
So is New England in spring and fall...heavenly. If I moved to NC, however, I would feel no real gain, for I would effectively be trading the harsh winters for the unbearable summers. And truth, my mobility is actually better in colder weather, a fact I somehow shoved under the rug when I went on my NC tour. My son bragged about January in Raleigh, but thankfully he didn't give away his winter jacket when he moved there. Seeing his pics of NC in winter did not inspire me.

If I were going to move south at all, I'd pick SC, GA, or FL, as NC doesn't do it for me in terms of appreciably better climate.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:24 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,923,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
And what about winter, Tuborg? Isn't that heavenly as well?
Assuming you're still talking about the Raleigh/Durham weather - here are the averages:

Average Weather for Raleigh, NC - Temperature and Precipitation

These averages mask highly variable extremes. For example - you're going to get your storms/cold fronts coming through - and the highs might only be in the 30's. You'll also get hard freezes - ice storms - even snow. OTOH - you can have days where the high is 65 - and the low is 45. I've been there in the winter on days when it was warm enough to play golf - and on days when it was frigid/icy. Note that our winter and the winter up there were exceptionally warm this year. The 2 winters before this one were exceptionally cold in both areas. IOW - NC is not a place I'd care to live in if I wanted to play golf - tennis - etc. year round. I also hate driving on ice (more common there than snow). I've driven on snow. It's a piece of cake compared to ice.

FWIW - our weather here in NE Florida is pretty much the same as the weather up there. With a few differences. Our average highs in the winter are about 60-65 - average lows in the 40's. Ours are variable like theirs are - but we're usually about 10 degrees warmer. We usually get a few hard freezes every year - but they only last for a couple of hours on the coast (longer inland). We had 1 hard freeze last winter (the warmer than usual winter) - perhaps 20 in each of the 2 winters before that (the colder than usual winters). Something like an ice storm is regarded as a freak event here (the last here was in 1989 - and I remember it well - because we were passing through JAX from Miami on our way to NC for Christmas). We got over the bridges in JAX just before they closed. Wish we hadn't. The drive was miserable - and so were the conditions in NC. But that weather event in 1989 was very unusual. I have never seen ice on the roads here - much less snow - since we moved here in 1995.

Note that the way I know that we've had a hard freeze is I look out in the morning and check if the birds are skating on the bird baths . If they are - I boil up a kettle of water - and defrost them. I don't recall a day in the 15+ years we've lived here where the high was < about 45 (and even those are rare) - but you'll get them in NC much more often.

Finally - the normal "line in the sand" between the semi-tropical and more temperate parts of Florida is at about Vero Beach.

I don't know what your idea of a heavenly winter is. But these are pretty much the facts. Since you're in Phoenix - to give you a comparison. Winter in Phoenix is high season for golf. It is low season in North Carolina. Also low season here for January/February (perhaps some of December too depending on the exact area you''re looking at). Not because all days are miserable - but because the weather is very variable. Robyn

Old 05-09-2012, 04:32 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,923,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
So is New England in spring and fall...heavenly. If I moved to NC, however, I would feel no real gain, for I would effectively be trading the harsh winters for the unbearable summers. And truth, my mobility is actually better in colder weather, a fact I somehow shoved under the rug when I went on my NC tour. My son bragged about January in Raleigh, but thankfully he didn't give away his winter jacket when he moved there. Seeing his pics of NC in winter did not inspire me.

If I were going to move south at all, I'd pick SC, GA, or FL, as NC doesn't do it for me in terms of appreciably better climate.
You also have to keep in mind that NC is IMO a very high tax state (the state income tax is high and regressive). Second thing we did after we moved my late FIL to a nursing home here and had his medical condition stabilized was establish his Florida residence. My inlaws always used to say they paid little in the way of property taxes (about $600). But their house was only worth about $80k most of the time they lived there. If you have a house worth $80k in Florida - you'll pay less than that in almost all parts of the state if you're entitled to a homestead exemption. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or