U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:15 PM

6,992 posts, read 6,987,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by info please View Post
forget naples to pricey now
I've been to Naples, FL -- beautiful. BUT it's filled with cranky old rich people and snowbirds. Check it out first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 08:27 PM

Default South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Forget NC, SC is now the hot spot.
We considered South Carolina for a long time -- Greenville, Sun City Carolina Lakes, Summerville, etc. Trouble is it is SO conservative politically and religiously (and sometimes vocally). They are one of 2 states that chose Newt Gringrich! I live in the other one (GA) and there are lots of extremely conservative people here. I'd love to live someplace where people are middle of the road and tolerant of other people's views. Of course, if you move to a 55+, you will have a mix of people from many states, mainly northeasterners (in the SE 55+) from what I've been able to surmise. Sales people at 55+ won't give you the real scoop on the average age or where people are from. They say people are from "all over" and always say the "average age is 62."

South Carolina does have a much better tax structure for retirees than NC. GA is not bad tax-wise either and there's lakes, mountains, and the city of Atlanta for culture. Just not my kind of folks.

Last edited by staywarm2; 05-09-2012 at 09:04 PM..

Old 05-09-2012, 08:45 PM

Default Greenville, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
If it's significantly warmer winters you're after, imo go all the way to South Georgia or Florida. NC has deciduous trees and to me it looks like New England in winter, plus a few degrees. At least in New England we typically do not get ice storms. I was in Raleigh/Carey in the summer and nearly fainted from the heat (more so in Greenville SC). If you can take the heat there, you can probably take it in Florida, and gain better winters.
We love visiting Greenville, SC. It's such a quaint, unique town with its waterfall and lovely park at the end of Main Street. However, it is horrible for anyone with allergies--beware!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:40 AM

450 posts, read 927,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Love both myself, my profile pic was taken at Ocracoke. I live-semi coastal NC (Greenville, NC) I lived a year and 8 months ago. To me the beach areas I visited in the OBX are aesthetically more interesting than where I am now, even though the beach here was, but, I wouldn't switch areas for many other reasons. Presently I live in SWFL the beaches are fanatastic and love many things about this location; especially that I get to enjoy splashing about in the ocean more often due to lengthier warm seasons. For me this area of SWF is an all around better choice.
What is your opinion on the cost of living between the NC and Fla.?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:44 AM

450 posts, read 927,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
We love visiting Greenville, SC. It's such a quaint, unique town with its waterfall and lovely park at the end of Main Street. However, it is horrible for anyone with allergies--beware!
Never been to Greenville SC, would like to know more!

Last edited by xnyer; 05-10-2012 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-10-2012, 03:29 PM

8,134 posts, read 7,641,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyer View Post
Very similar for most everything I've come across, groceries, utilities, clothing. I rent, so you'll have to ask someone else on the home owner taxes and such. Rents are higher here in FL, at least in SWF.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:54 PM

8,134 posts, read 7,641,472 times
Reasons I left to move back to Fl A nearly two hour drive to get to a nice beach and see pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Your best 50+ life: FL or NC?-rosas-pics-may-010.jpg   Your best 50+ life: FL or NC?-rosas-pics-may-009.jpg  

Old 05-10-2012, 04:07 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,973,893 times
Quote:
I'd like to go back there in the fall and partake of the amenities without the heat and humidity. It has a wonderful art museum, where I took refuge from the outdoor heat. And lots of arts & cultural activities. It's also close enough to Asheville that you could enjoy both states easily.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:37 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,927,825 times
Quote:
Both are very large states with all kinds of communities that cost different amounts. About the only thing I could say in general is that the most expensive parts of Florida (like Palm Beach) are more expensive than anything you'll find in NC. Robyn

Old 05-11-2012, 09:11 AM

Default Greenville Site on City-Data

Quote:
You can learn a lot about Greenville on the city-data. The town has Furman Univ. and Bob Jones Univ., which has a wonderful art museum (fabulous, although religious, art). The restaurants are very good. The downtown is small but adorable, but the west side of it a bit rough. The have "Fall for Greenville" in Oct., I think. Food booths along Main St. and live music. Much info on-line and they will send you a book about the area. Simpsonville is one of the main suburbs. Lots of chains and all the needed shopping.

People are very conservative and I hear Bob Jones U. has prevented some venue from coming to town because they feel they were inappropriate. Big, conservative churches. It's in the "upstate" not too far from Clemson Univ. Great place to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or