Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 05:08 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
Picture this: the kids are all in college or on their own. You and your spouse have worked like dogs for years and now would like to enjoy life and have fun. Hey, you both still have your health, energy, have held up pretty well and have given 100% to raising your family these past 25 years - now it's YOUR turn!

You have a pretty little house on a lake, fun friends, pleasant neighbors, walking/jogging trails plus various amenities in your community. Your beautiful town has terrific cultural activities, a great variety of restaurants, and the area has plenty of good jobs.

In your opinion and experience - where would this scenario be more likely to occur: Naples, Florida or the Raleigh/Triangle area of North Carolina?

TIA!
We are 60 and my husband got a job here 4 years. GET ME OUTTA this place. I am getting panic attacks just looking at ugly, fat, old people in shorts, riding their 4 wheel bikes.

No, no, NO. I just want to blend in in my old age with a mix of all other ages. I want to go HOME, not retire anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 08:49 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
Picture this: the kids are all in college or on their own. You and your spouse have worked like dogs for years and now would like to enjoy life and have fun. Hey, you both still have your health, energy, have held up pretty well and have given 100% to raising your family these past 25 years - now it's YOUR turn!

You have a pretty little house on a lake, fun friends, pleasant neighbors, walking/jogging trails plus various amenities in your community. Your beautiful town has terrific cultural activities, a great variety of restaurants, and the area has plenty of good jobs.

In your opinion and experience - where would this scenario be more likely to occur: Naples, Florida or the Raleigh/Triangle area of North Carolina?

TIA!
Can't comment on FL but I did live in NC.....I personally would never retire there...ever. Tax happy state. Many other reasons as well. I would certainly do more research before making the move especially on the cultural activity part. Jobs? NC has one of highest unemployment rates.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:57 AM

450 posts, read 1,059,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Of course I'm picking North Carolina! To me it's the most beautiful place in the world!!!!!!
I love North Carolina AND Florida too. IMO comparing coastal SW Florida to Piedmont NC is comparing apples to oranges. Now comparing coastal SW FL to the OBX and the Crystal Coast region of NC, should provoke some interesting discussion.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:00 AM

138 posts, read 232,411 times
Having lived in Naples, Florida for 5 years I would definitely pick N. Carolina!!!

Old 05-05-2012, 08:26 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkbaby View Post
Having lived in Naples, Florida for 5 years I would definitely pick N. Carolina!!!

Ugh!!! I hate Naples. As far as I'm concerned you can cut it off and let it float into the gulf

I would pick NC with the senior amenities that FL has, lol. I cannot handle the Florida heat and humidity in the summers. Too bad there is no perfect place.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:55 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
No contest. North Carolina, where I hope to live very soon.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:19 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
No contest. North Carolina, where I hope to live very soon.
Coming from the Southwest, have you spent much time in really high heat and humidity? If so, it may not bother you. What area are you looking at?

Old 05-05-2012, 02:05 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
NE Girl: You must have read all my other posts about the humidity in NC ? NO? Anyway, I know its unbearable. I know you spend alot of time in AC. I spend 4-6 months in AC here. The desert is brutal in the summer. There is no relief except to drive 2.5 hours north to the mountains/pines. The drive there is not scenic, in my opinion. Anyway, I want to be in the Triangle, either Raleigh or Durham and am getting ready to put this house on the market once again.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:45 PM

12,040 posts, read 6,567,177 times
We have lived in 7 different states, and hands down, Western NC is the best of them all (Black Mountain outside of Asheville). Tons of exciting culture, the friendliest,warmest, and most helpful people we have ever encountered, very tolerable humidity because of higher elevations (and yes, we lived in the southwest also), fabulous medical care, tons of outdoor sports, great art towns, lots of access to organic and farm-fresh foods, lakes and waterfalls like you can't believe---everything from resort-type lakes to very rustic and private mountain lakes, and tons of healthy, creative, intelligent, vibrant and active retirees that keep us on our toes!
Hated Florida, sorry.....

Old 05-05-2012, 02:50 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
We have lived in 7 different states, and hands down, Western NC is the best of them all (Black Mountain outside of Asheville). Tons of exciting culture, the friendliest,warmest, and most helpful people we have ever encountered, very tolerable humidity because of higher elevations (and yes, we lived in the southwest also), fabulous medical care, tons of outdoor sports, great art towns, lots of access to organic and farm-fresh foods, lakes and waterfalls like you can't believe---everything from resort-type lakes to very rustic and private mountain lakes, and tons of healthy, creative, intelligent, vibrant and active retirees that keep us on our toes!
Hated Florida, sorry.....
Awww, mountainrose, sorry you hated Florida! (my home state) I dearly love Black Mountain, we had a vacation home in Asheville for awhile but I kind of wished it had been in Black Mountain. At any rate, I am a Florida girl and love my current home in the city of Sarasota. A lot of times it matters where in a state one lives. There are plenty of places in Florida I would not want to live; and while I love WNC, I don't like the rest of NC. People need to take that into consideration, as the states are large and different parts have different things to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement