Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 09:03 AM

56 posts, read 211,840 times

Advertisements

As David Letterman has proved so well you can come up with a top 10 list for just about anything. Last week i saw that US News & World Report developed a list of the top 10 places for golf nuts. When i looked at the list, i wondered who wrote it. Obviously there is a lot of golf in their towns, but the choices didn't display much passion for the game - did a non-golfer come up with their list?

That inspired me to come up with my own list of the Top 10 Retirement Towns for Golf. Criteria is plenty of golf (or least a course for every day ending in Y), preferably at a reasonable cost. Myrtle Beach is #1 on my list, and Pinehurst is #2. St. George Utah is #10, and it's the only one of my choices that is also on USN&WR list. The biggest problem i had was to hone the list down, there are so many choices. Love to know what towns would be on other people's lists. Fore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 06:38 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
I wonder if there is a top ten list for shopping?

... and I am not really even kidding.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-11-2008, 02:32 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Default Hilton head, SC

I see it on your list. Golf is everywhere and probably the most talked about topic in that sheltered, ignorant Republican community.

Surely the most backward town I've ever spent alot of time in.

You can have it if you want it (much of it is quite affordable).

Old 07-11-2008, 03:22 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Two of your top ten are close to where we bought in Florida.
We are in Leesburg, and bought in a gated golf community that has two 18 hole golf courses with a PGA pro, etc.
The Villages is about 12 miles north of us, and Orlando is about 30 miles south of us. Plenty of golf choices around.

It is a bit of heaven there........we love it. When I think of all the awesome amenities there, the great neighbors, and the good weather, I start to wonder if all these negative posters who love to bash their state are actually in Florida......Then I realize that Florida is a big state, and it must be that many parts of it are not as nice as where we are.

Frank D.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:16 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Seriously? Scottsdale, AZ isnt on there? Wow.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:51 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
The Cost Of Golf In Retirement: Golf Digest

Interesting story on the cost of golf in retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement