U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 AM

152 posts, read 356,002 times
Default Can SS start on the month of your birth?

I will be retiring on March next year. My question is, since my birthday is at the end of March, can I file for SS begining on March or do I have to wait to April so that I do not get penalized for that month before I become 66?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 11:58 AM

89 posts, read 279,602 times
If you attain age 66 in March 2009, you can become entitled to unreduced SS benefits effective March 2009. The benefit will be paid in April 2009.

The requirement of meeting eligibility throughout a month only applies to attainment of age 62 as a factor of entitlement, not for purposes of benefit reduction.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:27 AM

Thanks TTTenor.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:06 AM

767 posts, read 716,826 times
You should go on line to the SS website and make an appt for a couple of months before your birthday. When you make the appt, you can either opt to go into a SS office or they will make you an appt for over the phone interview. I'm pretty sure you have to be 66 for a full month before your SS starts. (Using myself as an example - I turned 62 in July - put in my application in April. I had to be 62 for an entire month before benefits started. I recieved my first SS check in September. The date you get it will be determined by your birthday. My birthday is July 23 - so I am scheduled to get my check on the 4th Wed of the month. I believe my husband gets his on the 2nd Wed.

There may be more knowledgeable people on here regarding SS.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:13 PM

825 posts, read 2,386,471 times
I retired in November 2004 at age 65. I called the SS office two months before my birthday to find out when I should file the papers and how long before I would start collecting. She told me that I could start collecting in October (1 month before my birthday) and that I should come in and see her and she would help me with the papers. I did and I started collecting in October. I don't know if the regulations have changed since then.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:46 PM

7,837 posts, read 11,725,664 times
I turned 62 on November 7th, applied in August and will get my first check on Jan the 1st.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:50 PM

Talked with a lady at the local SS office and she told me that:

- I can retire begining with the month on my birthday but the check will not be in 'till the begining of the next month.
- If I work before my retirement age (in my case 66), the amount of money made during the month of my birthday does not count towards the limit after which they begin taking out from the SS check count.

In my case, my 66th birthday is in May 09, so the only salary that will count toward this limit (~$37,000 for 09) is for the months of Jan through April. Whatever I make in May does not count. Since I will not make that much money up to April, I can get SS since Jan and they will not take any money out even if I work full time 'till April. They will, or course, adjust the pension for the 4 months before my 66th birthday.

Just to clarify what we have been chatting about.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:41 AM

7,504 posts, read 5,856,172 times
Great info here as I will be 62 in the end of July 2009. I figured to do the paperwork end of April but did not know when I'd get the first check.

My main thing will be contacting VW so they don't reduce my August pension check, especially since the first check from social security won't be until the end of September.

Thanks everyone!

Old 02-17-2010, 04:06 AM

1 posts, read 20,378 times
i will retire at age 66 in jan -15-2011 when will i get my first check and how much will i recive thank you

Old 02-17-2010, 09:10 AM

23,025 posts, read 17,978,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qillies View Post
i will retire at age 66 in jan -15-2011 when will i get my first check and how much will i recive thank you
The amount of benefits you get will depend on your earning history and no one in this or any forum can answer that for you. You need to go to the SS web site and you can access your personal records and get an answer. For the most part there will be a two month delay from your birthday/eligibility date if 62 and when you get your first check. My wife just turned 62 filed in November and her first check will be in April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement