U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 16,244 times

Advertisements

Any ideas on a suitable retirement locale for a couple in their 50s. We are looking for warm weather, culture, intellectual pursuits, recreation. An ideal would be a place like Berkeley but we are afraid of the potential for earthquakes. Other places we've considered are Santa Barbara, Boulder, Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 02:20 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,075,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayasugai View Post
Any ideas on a suitable retirement locale for a couple in their 50s. We are looking for warm weather, culture, intellectual pursuits, recreation. An ideal would be a place like Berkeley but we are afraid of the potential for earthquakes. Other places we've considered are Santa Barbara, Boulder, Portland.
Berkeley? ! Berkeley isn't exactly warm! And if you can manoeuver around the homeless, that's a plus. There are nice parts and it's definitely liberal...but are you familiar with Berkeley?
I recommend San Diego. If you're wealthy, like warm weather and culture, it's an incredibly beautiful area. That's where a cousin of mine wants to retire when they sell their 2.3 million dollar home when the kids are out of school.
I don't have that kind of money... but San Diego is a wonderful place and if your finances aren't an issue, I can't imagine a nicer environment -good time to buy too as it's, along with Miami, the top declining real estate market in values in the nation right now.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:12 PM

We do really like San Diego and have visited there on a few occasions. My only concerns are that it seems somewhat conservative and has a somewhat anti-intellectual bent. Are there neighborhoods in San Diego that do not value the whole excessive make-up/plastic surgery scene (which seems prevalent in La Jolla)? What is Coronado like? I would like to be in a place where there are plenty of bookstores, lectures etc. nearby and where I don't have to spend a lot of time in the car. We're not huge beachgoers but enjoy tennis, golf, hiking, biking.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:01 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,804,727 times
How about Carmel or Montery? Austin? Wow, it must be fun to explore your next move!

I'd personaly go with Boston and a winter place elsewhere if I could afford it. Love Portland, but need more sun.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:09 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,075,264 times
Carmel and Monterrey...beautiful I agree hereinfla. But maybe a good compromise might be Santa Barbara too which is quite wealthy, sophisticated, and I believe it's also known for good restaurants and outdoor living.
As for San Diego...I don't know about the liberal parts, I just know you can wake up and walk outside in your underwear and not freeze vital parts and it's lovely! Coronado might be a good choice too. Beautiful beautiful beautiful.
A lot of Southern California is plastic for sure...Orange County, etc. But San Diego, though it has a reputation for conservatism...I think that reputation came when the military was the largest employer there. A lot of that is gone now. They also have had amazing scandals with their mayors who have frankly been radicals. I don't think you'll see a lot of people who if they cross their legs are pulled so tight their mouths snap open there. But go and check it out and see if it clicks!

Old 02-28-2007, 08:18 AM

Does anyone know what the air quality is like in Santa Barbara? Also, how would Santa Fe compare to Santa Barbara in terms of cultural opportunities, outdoor activities, volunteer opportunities etc.? They both have around 100,000 people but obviously have a completely different vibe (and cost of living). Are the winters in Santa Fe very cold? Any other locales come you can recommend? Thanks.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:50 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,912,557 times
Palm Springs, Monterrey, Santa Cruz. Naples, Fl. New Orleans. Sedona

Old 03-22-2007, 10:36 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,411,891 times
Santa Fe, at over 5,000' elevation, is cold in the winters. It can also have a fair amount of snowfall. Boulder, CO, has a similar elevaton and colder, snowier winters. Both would work for a 2-season home.

IMO, if you've got the financial ability to do it ... I'd have two residences.

One for the summer/fall months, perhaps Aspen, CO, or Jackson, WY. This meets all your requirements for activitives and has good restaurants, shopping, and medical facilities in town.

The second, for the winter/spring months, would be in the sunbelt areas. Could be San Diego area ... LaJolla, Coronado, etc. Or, further up the SoCal coast where the waterfront is still accessible and cultural activity is at hand.

Another way to do accomplish this would be to buy, say in Aspen, and lease out your place for much of the winter months. There's an active market in seasonal rentals and property management to take care of the details for you (at a reasonable cost). Take your income and lease a place that year that meets your requirements for the winter season.

My in-laws are doing a similar program, although they're big golfers so have been buying time-shares near their favorite golf courses and activities. They stay a maximum of two weeks at each place, and move on throughout the winter/spring months for variety and optimum weather conditions. They base out of their West Denver area home for the summer. It takes a bit of planning and willingness to pick up and move every two weeks, but they sure aren't bored with all the "new" challenges, restaurants, shopping, and activities. Most of their places are within a couple hours drive of the next in the chain. Some of their time shares are flexible, so they can watch the weather pattern and choose on short notice the next place they want to stay. The goal is a low maintenance lifestyle that lets them play golf every day ... or not, if that's their pleasure. Time shares at excellent golf course homes have been rather inexpensive of late to buy. I know they stay in Copper Mountain, Pagosa Springs, Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Scottsdale areas ....

Old 03-22-2007, 10:43 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,960,936 times
Well for culture and beauty there is no place like the east coast...often humid and hot in the summer and cold in the winter but with nice days interspersed throughout the year - spring and fall are glorious - overall, a terrific place for retirees. Charleston, So. Carolina; Alexandria (old town), Virginia; historic Annapolis, MD; Williamsburg, VA; Savannah, GA - all are fabulous places with lots to do, gorgeous houses, wonderful restaurants, history, the arts, antiques, shopping, water access for a boat, etc. Or how about two homes?

Old 03-28-2007, 06:12 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,621,895 times
Look for a Blue state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or