Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:43 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
After many years some businesses tend to sell out or phase themselves out of business. Some older workers would find themselves out of a job.
Some babyboomers decided to work later because of financial reasons. I just don't know how long they can stretch it out. It would be strange to have most Boomers still working 10 years from now.
Remember,Boomers stretch from 1946 to 1964 - those who are born in 1958 (now 50) will certainly still be working in 10 years. Those born in 1955 (the very middle) will only be 63 in 10 years. I would hope to still be working.

I have heard of some people who have "retired" and then be rehired as a consultant for MORE money and can work the hours you want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 11:06 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times
What we are going to end up with is a bunch of slow, senile, seniors with bad attitudes all pi*sed off because they can't retire, doing all the day to day lower paying jobs. You will not be able to go to the grocery store or out to eat without putting up with long waits and poor service. Can you imagine the daily commutes? Freeways clogged with cars driving 55 in the fast lane with their left blinker on, and refusing to merge at more than 40. Yea it's going to be great.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:08 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I am considering the retire and return as a consultant at three times the wage gig.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:16 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
What we are going to end up with is a bunch of slow, senile, seniors with bad attitudes all pi*sed off because they can't retire, doing all the day to day lower paying jobs. You will not be able to go to the grocery store or out to eat without putting up with long waits and poor service. Can you imagine the daily commutes? Freeways clogged with cars driving 55 in the fast lane with their left blinker on, and refusing to merge at more than 40. Yea it's going to be great.
Ha.

I always dread getting really old people on the phone at my job and I hate being stuck behind an older driver.
I once killed this old bitty one day because she ran a red light. I kind of wish I had hit her so her license could have been taken away.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:49 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
And we will all be laughing our asses off watching you get frustrated in our rear view mirrors!

On the plus side we can at least make change without a cash register to tell us how so those grocery lines might actually speed up a bit.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:29 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,305,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And we will all be laughing our asses off watching you get frustrated in our rear view mirrors!

On the plus side we can at least make change without a cash register to tell us how so those grocery lines might actually speed up a bit.

Hahahaha! Best post of the month!

Old 12-23-2008, 05:28 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,854,248 times
Quote:

Yes I agree with you. Plus we're not all bad drivers. I've never had a traffic ticket, and I hope I don't get any.
Some of the boomers are young enough to keep working for a long while. I think some of the older ones may decide to go down to parttime work if they still choose to work.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:12 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:

Are you kidding me?
I used to work in the movies and I'd wait at least 2 minutes for some old biddy to find a nickle, a dime, penny or whatever when it took me less than 30 seconds to have her change ready and everything. I just wanted to grab the wallet from her and get the money myself.
It really sucked in the winter time when I had to keep my little window open so she can spend what's left of her life searching for change.

As for laughing your asses off, I think the woman in front of me yesterday driving about 5 or 10 miles under the speed limit had quite a time watching me flip her off and yell at her to speed her ass up. I understand she may not have been in a rush to get anywhere but I am young, have a life to live, and I need to get where I am going.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Tek-Freek was talking about making change;not find the right coin. I am sure you left a good impression the older lady off;you'll go far oi life.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:39 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,538,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Ha.

I always dread getting really old people on the phone at my job and I hate being stuck behind an older driver.
I once killed this old bitty one day because she ran a red light. I kind of wish I had hit her so her license could have been taken away.
You hate being stuck behind an older driver. I'm 71. Meet me at Watkins Glen Track and you'll be behind me for sure. - LOL Not all of us OLDER people are slow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement