Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think retired grandparents(with good health status) should help to babysitting their grandchi
yes 23 40.35%
no 34 59.65%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:36 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,569,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
If grandparents want to babysit their grandchildren, their lives and the lives of the grandchildren are the better for it.

Loving grandparents in a child's life are a blessing that the children will remember for their entire lives.
I love how you worded the above Cunucu Beach......
I found being at the births, life enriching......Being with them on vacations and outtings rewarding.
Rocking them, putting the baby to bed straight from my arms.....singing the little one to sleep. Precious to my soul.
The children make our life whole, we enjoy each other.
I don't think it should be a given that grandparents babysit. But, I think we should fit in a good chunk of time for that. Its pure bonding......it feels good...I feel blessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 12:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
...Loving grandparents in a child's life are a blessing that the children will remember for their entire lives.
Thanks !
Hopefully this just isn't a NE thing.... but if my NE grandparents wouldn't have taken me in for ~ 4 mo/yr, I would have been leaving home at age 12 instead of waiting till 16.

Grandparents were a very special impact on my life (even sitting around ALL DAY SUNDAY 'visiting').

I learned that other people need help even where you are busy. (I spent many days helping my G'pa build steps, ramps, remodel, or mow for widows or widowers, or Canning / painting / mending with G'ma) We always offered rides to town or shopping, we helped in gardens of neighbors, we rebuilt barns that burnt, fixed people's cars, stopped to fix flat tires, stopped work on a hot hot afternoon for a '7-up float', drove 'beater' cars so they could give generously to others, and often scolded me for 'hurrying' everywhere

My own kids really missed out by having 'modern' grandparents that were too busy taking cruises and 'full-time' RV-ing, tho I know many of that type that still treasure their grandkids, and spend time with them; And I'm grateful for that. Our's would see the grandkids once / yr, usually while transiting at the airport. They never touched, hugged, or took them to dinner (a serious loss for each).

I'd say, do what you can. Don't do it under obligation. Some are not 'cut-out' for it, so don't be an additional problem for your kids and grandkids, just politely decline. Everyone has their place in life... find your's and enjoy the journey. If you can't be there... pray for your grandkids... they need it (I sure did... and will be forever grateful to my 'late' grandparents for doing so)

Old 01-08-2009, 01:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,166,931 times
There IS a difference, however, between being a loving grandparent and being a babysitter for kids who are working.

My grandmother was wonderful. I visited on my own for a week once a year, and at Christmas, and when we'd go to the farm just for a visit. It's only now, as I'm approaching the age she was then, that I realize just what an impact she had on my life and how much I'm turning out like her in so many ways.

She didn't, however, babysit for me (except for that one week, and that was more me spending time on the farm with my cousin of the same age) while my parents worked.

My other grandmother died before I was born.

My children's grandmothers, both of them, were great grandmothers and my children benefited from having them in their lives. Never mind that they lived in different cities - the time spent with them was precious. They didn't babysit while I was working, either, though they would have in a pinch. As an adult with children of my own, it was my responsibility to find childcare if needed, and I did.

I would LOVE to spend a great deal of time with my grandkids, when they come along. But I also view my children as adults with responsibilities to their own children. Hopefully I raised them well enough that they will be up to the challenge, and I can be the grandmom, not the "substitute Mom".

Old 01-08-2009, 06:13 PM

8,799 posts, read 21,192,176 times
(I sure did... and will be forever grateful to my 'late' grandparents for doing so)

They sound as if they were wonderful, jan, And, I'll bet you enriched their lives, too. How lucky you all were.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-09-2009, 01:35 PM

5,815 posts, read 12,570,869 times
My wifes mother had 9 children. She loves her kids. She loves her grandkids. She has watched, loved, babysat, lived and enjoyed all of her grandchildren. My mom unfortunately(that's her choice) thought watching grandkids from time to time was a chore and she didn't really want to do it. My MIL to this day enjoys being with her grandkids and great grandkids. My side liked to visit for a couple of hours and on the holidays and left without any hassle. It's each ones own choice. But it seems that my children bond better with my wifes side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement